Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Default Hello, and a quick general ?

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a bit, started when my wife informed me, we wanted a motor coach for the two of us and our toddler.

From what I have read so far, I think we will be trying to purchase a short class B. We will more than likely end up buying a late model used or new off a lot.

My question is, if we were to order one from one of the larger companies (Winnebago, Roadtrek, Pleasure-way...) Would they allow us to delete items, like the awning and Blu Ray player?

This forum has been a neat look into class B's and the pros and cons.

Thank you
Fernietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Most RVs sold through dealers are pre-ordered and built to a factory spec with limited options and usually no way to omit components. Custom builders such as Advanced RV or Sportsmobile will build whatever you want but at higher cost and lengthy lead times.

Some items, such as a manual awning, could be removed later by the owner. Others such as a generator or electrical components would be difficult to remove.

If you're looking for a simple camping van for a growing family there are a couple models aimed at that demographic - the Tofino by PleasureWay and the Solis from Winnebago. Both have pop-top roofs for extra sleeping space and omit generators, awnings, and similar gadgetry.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply

The Tofino is nice, but no bath, I believe.

The Solis I also like allot, but no a/c, down here in South Texas that would be a killer, at least that's what I have gathered from other Texas posts, some mentioning 80 degrees inside even with an a/c.

Do you happen to know the general time frame, when dealers put in their orders?

Not being able to delete options won't be a deal breaker, just don't think we'd use the awning, and if we end up in a HOA the cleaner look might factor, or a Blu Ray player.

Just kicking tires at the moment, thanks for any responses.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernietx View Post
Thanks for the reply

The Tofino is nice, but no bath, I believe.

The Solis I also like allot, but no a/c, down here in South Texas that would be a killer, at least that's what I have gathered from other Texas posts, some mentioning 80 degrees inside even with an a/c.

Do you happen to know the general time frame, when dealers put in their orders?

Not being able to delete options won't be a deal breaker, just don't think we'd use the awning, and if we end up in a HOA the cleaner look might factor, or a Blu Ray player.

Just kicking tires at the moment, thanks for any responses.
Welcome to forum Fernietx!

As rockymtmb advised, you're likely to get an awning or pay more to get a class b without it. As far as an HOA, they are highly variable so it's a crap shoot. For two years my HOA has had no problem with my 20 foot Airstream Avenue (on Chevy Express) that I've removed all gaudy AIRSTREAM badging from. It's just because no neighbors have complained. However, someone with a larger Class C one street over got "the Letter" and had to move theirs into off site storage.

I agree an ac is essential (especially as a fellow S. Texas resident).

Unlike travel trailer owners who sometimes mention trouble cooling their rigs with one ac, I haven't seen that problem reported by many class b owners. Sure, in Las Vegas heat in direct summer sun that will always be a problem. But for the most part, class b's cool fine with windows covered (including windshield) and if you don't let them become an oven before turning the ac on.

In my case, cracking a window and running the ceiling fan keeps my van interior within 5-10 degrees of outside temp even in direct sun. It's nice feature that rvs offer so they don't get 130-140 degrees in the sun like a closed up car. Still takes a while to cool down, but it is comfortable within 10-15 mins. of starting the ac.

Take your time. We spent a year and a half before finding the right "b" for us. A nice condition but used 6 yr. old unit for half the cost of a new one.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:31 AM   #5
Platinum Member

One more important consideration since you mention a child.

You don't want passengers in the back of a class b if for no other reason than the dash ac won't reach that far back to keep them cool on hot days. Running the generator and roof ac while driving is possible, just not a good option.

Instead, seek a seat belt equipped front facing seat near the front cab. A Travato G, for example, has two seat belted positions and table just behind the driver and it converts into a small bed so you don't have to improvise something across the front seats for sleeping a child.

The Travato is just one example. Many similar floor plans are out there and it seems new models are arriving monthly. Exciting times in the world of class b's.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 AM   #6

Thanks, where our toddler will sit, is one of the issues I have been investigating.

Another monkey wrench is wanting to tow and launch a small boat, chassis capability, battery location, generator location..... All new things I hadn't thought about or learned about until I started reading this forum.

We're not in a huge hurry so I'll keep reading the forum and watching the new models as they come out.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernietx View Post
Thanks, where our toddler will sit, is one of the issues I have been investigating.

Another monkey wrench is wanting to tow and launch a small boat, chassis capability, battery location, generator location..... All new things I hadn't thought about or learned about until I started reading this forum.

We're not in a huge hurry so I'll keep reading the forum and watching the new models as they come out.
If you're wanting to tow, the Promaster is not the best choice, but a small boat is probably doable. Several new models based on the dual rear wheel Ford Transit van are coming out. The 3.5L Ecoboost will offer plenty of towing power. Just be sure to check out the towing specs because you'll need to consider weight of the vehicle you want to tow, and consider the tongue weight on the vans load rating. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
One more important consideration since you mention a child.

You don't want passengers in the back of a class b if for no other reason than the dash ac won't reach that far back to keep them cool on hot days. Running the generator and roof ac while driving is possible, just not a good option.

Instead, seek a seat belt equipped front facing seat near the front cab. A Travato G, for example, has two seat belted positions and table just behind the driver and it converts into a small bed so you don't have to improvise something across the front seats for sleeping a child.

The Travato is just one example. Many similar floor plans are out there and it seems new models are arriving monthly. Exciting times in the world of class b's.
Our Chevy Roadtrek has the belted seats all the way at the back. Our two teens ride back there. It hasn't been an issue up to around 95* ambient or so. Phoenix at 115* in the summer might be, but of course we wouldn't be camping there, just passing through, and we would time it for early morning or late night desert driving. Some hot weather tricks I've learned include: (1) turn the dash A/C on high and point the vents toward the ceiling, (2) open rear windows slightly to create flow, and (3) in extreme conditions, keep the Reflectix panels we use for storage in the windows.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Gold Member

Default Beachlife

Hello, I bought a brand new Travato 59K in the fall and really like the Dodge Ram 3500. I had to have a couple of minor items on the van side with adjustments, but went to a certified Dodge dealer and had no problem. The warranty covered the work and parts, which came out great. Buying older class b's with or without extended warranty can be tricky. The coach is usually a separate warranty from the vehicle make. My dealer had to fix about 6 coach items of which several parts (knobs, connectors) had to be ordered. I had 3 items done in one day and waiting on parts on the other three. I found a couple of odd items that I fixed myself by just looking and reading. I have seen several 2018 and 2019 low mileage used Class B's for sale. I also loved the Wonder B+ (which had a dry bathing longer LOL) but the extra money was a bit much. I have done a bunch of modifications to things for improvements based on other Travato owners that I run into in my travels, and I may go to their Facebook and Club. I really like the ease of parking, hooking up, and cleaning. I do recommend you buy the vehicle near the repair dealer and vehicle brand dealer. I hear Ram is pushing out the Mercedes for various reasons. This RV is the best fit for us as a weekender, cross country, or just out and back on an adventure. I wish the van had better sound deadening and quieter AC (next year model as the Q Coleman AC)
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum beachlife!

Congratulations on your Travato. They seem to be highly regarded by their owners.

My "newish" Coleman Mach 8 Plus is quieter than the one I replaced. But I really like the fact that some newer ones, like the NDQ, are really another step up in quiet. They also use significantly less power to run which is a nice benefit for the Lithium battery models. These are exciting times in the class b market.

Keep us informed of your adventures and safe travels.