Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2022, 11:27 PM   #1

Default Hello Eh

Name is John
My wife and I are looking to enter the B class group as we enter the retirement years and are investigating all makes and models as well as tips and tricks

Thanks for having us
JetSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello and Welcome

Look at as many units as you can and determine which layout and features you need or want, and which have no value or are a minus.

For instance, tall people can pretty much rule out sideways sleepers

You are already 1 up as you know what a Robertson screwdriver is...( many B's are CDN built)

here's my response to a post similar to yours:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post141208

Cheers,
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:18 AM   #3

LOL good ole Robbie
Thanks for the link and advise, but as luck has it I found it first lol. But still re read it.
I am really liking the PW product, looks like they are really put together well and with a eye on quality.
I work in manufacturing for Toyota Canada and this attention to quality is important to me.
JetSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Living in AZ- just about every screw in my van needed an 1/8th turn when we bought it- all the cabinetry had shrunk up ( it was 8 years old).

I am happy with PW, the systems and lay out in my van pretty much everything can be got to, I think the quality of the work is high.
I like the Chev part, I can count on 16 MPG at 65 mph ( 16L/100km ? ) on 87 octane. ( Colorado sells 85, MPG goes down slightly).
We went from PHX to Ottawa to Halifax and back ( through Maine) for about $2000 in gas, about 12,500 kms, not bad eh?

Parking is always easy, many of the vans are under 20' which seems to be a magic number for ferries and some municipal parking regs ( santa monica for one)

and it's easy to drive.

Roadtrek was a premier name for many years ( made in Kitchener) then went through ownership changes, "issues" and bankruptcy, and a revival of the name... to some extent. One of the cool things about the older RT's was a drop floor center aisle which extends headroom for the tall-

When looking, I tripped on the floor transition and I didn't like the driver side galley
( this puts the external propane fridge heat right beside the gas fill)

Cheers
Old 08-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Living in AZ- just about every screw in my van needed an 1/8th turn when we bought it- all the cabinetry had shrunk up ( it was 8 years old).

I am happy with PW, the systems and lay out in my van pretty much everything can be got to, I think the quality of the work is high.
I like the Chev part, I can count on 16 MPG at 65 mph ( 16L/100km ? ) on 87 octane. ( Colorado sells 85, MPG goes down slightly).
We went from PHX to Ottawa to Halifax and back ( through Maine) for about $2000 in gas, about 12,500 kms, not bad eh?

Parking is always easy, many of the vans are under 20' which seems to be a magic number for ferries and some municipal parking regs ( santa monica for one)

and it's easy to drive.

Roadtrek was a premier name for many years ( made in Kitchener) then went through ownership changes, "issues" and bankruptcy, and a revival of the name... to some extent. One of the cool things about the older RT's was a drop floor center aisle which extends headroom for the tall-

When looking, I tripped on the floor transition and I didn't like the driver side galley
( this puts the external propane fridge heat right beside the gas fill)

Cheers

We have an Xplorer 1997 meticulously maintained x 1 + yr. Looks exactly the same on the outside as some road treks I pass YES we have the drop down floor and oh true, propane fridge exhaust near gas sorta ,well , have not exploded yet
There are lights in funky paces and not in others but clip on booklights or a the lightbar not sold in stores as seen on TV (I got it in a store ha ha ) are great. One thing I would mention is that with the bed in the back, one person can read/sleep and the other - with the bathroom area curtain pulled across( becasue the bathroom is for some alien midget species if you dare to try and close the door) well the curtain makes it dark and private for them and the other person can stay up and read We have no awning and I have been trying to rig one up but we paid way under 20,000. have fun !Also we just got a jackery battery unit for boondocking which spouse does alot as he bikes around country
Jean
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
Silver Member

Default Welcome John

Hi John,
We love our Class B van and in 2 weeks were off for a month adventure to the Pacific North West and time on Vancover, Salt Spring and Pender islands.
We bought a Ram Solis Winnebago a 59P, 11/20. We looked for 11 months and decided this was the one for us. Price was a factor and we came to the conclusion we wanted a van already built out. We got the 20 year loan and that works for us. Check the Solis out and see what you think.
I would suggest maybe renting a van your interested in. And if your leaning towards our Solis van please join us on Facebook Soils Winnebago Owners and Wannbees. Were an active group who give helpful positive comments. We have meet ups and most states have a specific FB group. We belong to the California Solis Group.
I wish you all the best in finding just the right van for you and your wife.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:32 AM   #7

I would suggest renting a model for a few days. You will experience the feeling you get when traveling in a class B
jimtwilliams1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

True.

We rented a campervan in Ireland and decided after a few days to get one when we came home.
and we did.

The van we rented was on the Citroen version of the Travato, 6 spd/ diesel. Gas appliances, cassette toilet ( no thanks), sideways sleeper (no thanks) and we had a great time camping on Irish beaches.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSkins View Post
Name is John
My wife and I are looking to enter the B class group as we enter the retirement years and are investigating all makes and models as well as tips and tricks

Thanks for having us

greetings! I'm doing a commercial vehicle to RV conversion. it's a fair bit roomy but it's basically a blank slate, gotta DIY everything.

what sort of body style / living space are you looking for?
theLegionWithin is offline   Reply With Quote