Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Default Hi from a newbie looking for a Class B

Greetings All!

It's time for me to get out and travel the country!

My lovely wife of twenty years, Laura, passed away in 2015 (no worries... Laura is FREE!!!). I was her primary caregiver (10 years? 15? A lot!) and pretty much relegated to the house for many years. I have since met a wonderful woman &, like me, we want to start a new life together and explore... while we still can

I have been researching Class B RVs and discovered this forum. I see I will find abundant experience and information here from friendly RVers.

Looking forward to a new experience.

Enjoy your day, your RV, your life!

Tony
North Atlanta area, Georgia, USA
TonyLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

My condolences and congratulations on your choice to travel in a B. Welcome to the forums.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Default alternatives

Hi Tony,
Traveling the country is wonderful, my wife and I have been doing it for several years. It is great!
Have you considered a B+. For many reasons we are having to sell our Rialta. It has been a great vehicle, comfortable seats and very unique on the road. However, it is a long way from Georgia to Iowa. For that reason, mine is probably not a reasonable consideration for you.
If you want to see pictures, Craig's List, DesMoines, RV and a search for Rialta will give you some pictures.
Good luck in your search!
Don B.
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

I would go to the RV shows and experience the rigs first hand.

There are a few large shows that have everything in one place...
but you don't have to go to the biggies, they might overwhelm you.
You can start by visiting RV dealers nearby.
There are lots of video on youtube; they are helpful.

I would look at the big names first -- Winnebago, Pleasureway, etc.

Have fun, and don't rush. Take your time to choose the right one.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
My condolences and congratulations on your choice to travel in a B. Welcome to the forums.
Thanks Bruceper. This should be a fun ride.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I would go to the RV shows and experience the rigs first hand.

There are a few large shows that have everything in one place...
but you don't have to go to the biggies, they might overwhelm you.
You can start by visiting RV dealers nearby.
There are lots of video on youtube; they are helpful.

I would look at the big names first -- Winnebago, Pleasureway, etc.

Have fun, and don't rush. Take your time to choose the right one.
Yes! I've been researching online. Would love to find a show to attend. Big shows all the more exciting. Thanks BBQ
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
Hi Tony,
Traveling the country is wonderful, my wife and I have been doing it for several years. It is great!
Have you considered a B+. For many reasons we are having to sell our Rialta. It has been a great vehicle, comfortable seats and very unique on the road. However, it is a long way from Georgia to Iowa. For that reason, mine is probably not a reasonable consideration for you.
If you want to see pictures, Craig's List, DesMoines, RV and a search for Rialta will give you some pictures.
Good luck in your search!
Don B.
Thanks Don B. I may consider a B+ after seeing one. I have been drawn to the smaller stealthiness of B. I don't think I would go C or A because I want to park anywhere including big cities without struggling to find parking. I'll take a look on Craigslist. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is the big one -- Hershey RV Show

America's Largest RV Show
Old 09-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

This one is in California

Homepage - Pomona RV Show
Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #10

Thanks! I just drove by Hershey back in June. Unfortunately I can't make it there this year.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #11

Aha! I may be able to make the Pomona show in Oct. We'll see. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:22 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I will offer my input regarding the choice of a Rialta. Made from 1995 to 2005. Try to go 1997 or newer as the first year or two had the 5 cylinder VW. The ride, quality, and versatility are fantastic. I have a 1999 HD. This is probably the most useful floor plan if it is just 2 people. It has seating for 7 people (w/seat belts!) but sleeps 2. It is the only floor plan that has the fridge/freezer combo and optional propane oven. I have had other and bigger RV's but this can go anywhere and park most anywhere. I can drive it all day and not be tired. The engine is so quiet, that at speeds above 45 mph you really can't hear it. Some people claim that it is a bit under-powered. I learned the best tip from this forum; USE THE CRUISE CONTROL on all hill climbs. The computer does things I could never do regarding the up and down shifting and usually keeps me at full speed. Better for your transmission to. I was always afraid of Cruise during hill climbs because the older cars would floor the gas pedal and scare everyone. The Rialta doesn't do this. If the strain is too much it simply cuts off. Hope you have a great find.
CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 AM   #13

Need contact info Thanks
Taiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:26 AM   #14

Default Hi from a newbie

My husband and I are both in our early 60's and retired. We have been talking about the RV life for years and we're ready to take the plunge.

He's got his heart set on a Rialta. He likes the thoughts of being able to park in a regular space and the gas engine.

Me, I'm not so sure about the small van size, but I'm willing to go along. I have several questions, foremost being about the Rialta beds. I'm looking at the FD twin due to the full size twin beds it features. We are both larger size people. Are we going to be comfortable on the twin beds? I think we need those beds in order to be able to get in and out of bed easily. We can't be climbing out over each other like we did in our younger days.

Also, can we pull the cabinets out of the back of the Rialta FD twin? We think we want the view more than the cabinet space.

Thanks!
Marla Maye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla Maye View Post
My husband and I are both in our early 60's and retired. We have been talking about the RV life for years and we're ready to take the plunge.

He's got his heart set on a Rialta. He likes the thoughts of being able to park in a regular space and the gas engine.

Me, I'm not so sure about the small van size, but I'm willing to go along. I have several questions, foremost being about the Rialta beds. I'm looking at the FD twin due to the full size twin beds it features. We are both larger size people. Are we going to be comfortable on the twin beds? I think we need those beds in order to be able to get in and out of bed easily. We can't be climbing out over each other like we did in our younger days.

Also, can we pull the cabinets out of the back of the Rialta FD twin? We think we want the view more than the cabinet space.

Thanks!

Have you ever owned a VW car?

Do you know how old are the Rialtas?
How many years since WGO stopped making them?

Do you know how difficult/easy it is to get VW mechanical services?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #16

In reply to BBQ re: being newbies to the forum.

We've owned a Volkswagen Van. My husband loved it. He's a mechanic and only wants a Volkswagen engine. He's convinced he can do the repairs on a Rialta, or have it done. Me, I'm not so sure about finding help. I know he's good with engines but sometimes everyone needs help and I'm reading it's difficult to find help with Rialtas.

We understand they are an older van and no longer made. Again, this thought does not deter my husband.

He's got his heart set on a Rialta. He's willing to go for the sleeping arrangements I want. We are both older, large people. We need to get up and down at night to use the restroom. We can't be climbing over each to get in and out of bed at night. I figure we are going to need the Rialta FD with twin beds or the Rialta QD with the extra twin bed upfront. The problem with the QD, on all the ones I've seen, is if you are standing at the sink cooking, you are blocking the front door. Therefore, my choice is the Rialta FD with the twin beds.

I know a Rialta FD twin is going to be difficult to find. But that's what I'm looking for and I have a couple of questions. #1 How comfortable are those twin bed mattresses? #2 Can a topper be put on the mattresses to increase the comfort? #3 We are wanting to pull the large cabinets at the foot out to improve the view. I'd imagine you'd almost have to pull those cabinets out, if you've got a high mattress topper. How easy is it to pull the cabinets out?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
Marla Maye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Have you looked at the Travato 59K? Not an old VW so probably less headache.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla Maye View Post
In reply to BBQ re: being newbies to the forum.

We've owned a Volkswagen Van. My husband loved it. He's a mechanic and only wants a Volkswagen engine. He's convinced he can do the repairs on a Rialta, or have it done. Me, I'm not so sure about finding help. I know he's good with engines but sometimes everyone needs help and I'm reading it's difficult to find help with Rialtas.

We understand they are an older van and no longer made. Again, this thought does not deter my husband.

He's got his heart set on a Rialta. He's willing to go for the sleeping arrangements I want. We are both older, large people. We need to get up and down at night to use the restroom. We can't be climbing over each to get in and out of bed at night. I figure we are going to need the Rialta FD with twin beds or the Rialta QD with the extra twin bed upfront. The problem with the QD, on all the ones I've seen, is if you are standing at the sink cooking, you are blocking the front door. Therefore, my choice is the Rialta FD with the twin beds.

I know a Rialta FD twin is going to be difficult to find. But that's what I'm looking for and I have a couple of questions. #1 How comfortable are those twin bed mattresses? #2 Can a topper be put on the mattresses to increase the comfort? #3 We are wanting to pull the large cabinets at the foot out to improve the view. I'd imagine you'd almost have to pull those cabinets out, if you've got a high mattress topper. How easy is it to pull the cabinets out?

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

Your hubby is a mechanic? THen you are in good hands. You should be ok.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:41 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I think you will be very happy with the FD Rialta. You may want to try the rig first before taking the cabinets out. Being that storage is at such a minimum they may be more desirable than the view. The beds should be very comfortable and the topper should still allow for the clearance. The telescopic bathroom is so well made that, at night if you are stealthy, you can open and close it silently if you hold the buttons in until it latches (like sneaky kids). Though small, it will grow on you. It feels very spacious when you are sitting in the captain's chairs (turned around) and looking at the full length of the room!
CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #20
Silver Member

Default This is my story on searching for a Road-trek

I knew nothing about motor homes when I began my search. A friend of a friend researches and locates vehicles of all descriptions for folks. I hired him to search for a Road-trek at a 10% finders fee. I live in N. California and his search took several weeks.
He found a possible Rt in Oregon. It was a 1998 (this is in 2010) and he felt it was a perfect fit for me. Price was $20,000, 95,000 miles, two owners, no kids, & no pets. I gave him $20.000 cash and he drove to Oregon to check it out with his girlfriend. They returned with a beautiful 1998 Rt. The finder's fee of $2,000 was money well spent. See photo in link below.

This is just a suggestion in your search.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/me...icture195.html
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote