Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Hi from Kentucky!

Hi,

My wife and I are empty nesters. I am under 4 years until retirement. I caught the RV bug in late 2014. We decided to buy small and used. We purchased a 2005 Casita 17’ Freedom Deluxe molded fiberglass egg camper in November, 2015 and started camping in 2016. During our first three years, we camped about 140 nights. I am guessing we will camp about 60 nights in 2019. I am now on a 9 month teaching contract rather than 12 months of administrivia, so we have extra time in the summers for camping.

We are thinking about adding a small used motorhome (Class B/B+) in the next year or so to see how we like it. By the time I retire, we will then increase our travel and consider a newer small motorhome or egg camper.

Look forward to learning from this group.

Thank you,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Oh, oh, oh! Sell me your casita!
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldbob View Post
Oh, oh, oh! Sell me your casita!
We do love our little Casita! We leave next week for our 2nd trip of the year. We will spend 6 days in the Smokies. It has been the perfect 1st camper for us. Small. Used. Easy to tow (never towed before).

We will keep it until retirement. We are hoping to add a used small motorhome for “traveling” trips. In addition, my wife may do some “girl camping” with friends. Despite the easy towability of the Casita, she thinks she would be more comfortable with a small motorhome.

45 months until retirement. We are thinking by the time I retire, we will have 7 years with the Casita and 2 or 3 years with a Class B/B+, we can then decide which direction we will go in terms of an RV. We really like the the Oliver Travel Trailers (egg campers), but we also like the smaller motorhomes (Coach House, Leisure Travel Vans, Pleasure Way, Lazy Daze, Phoenix Cruiser, etc.) as well as some traditional Class Bs.

LOL, the Casitas, Scamps, etc. are popular little campers. We were lucky to find ours used. It was only 240 miles from our house. We bought it immediately upon inspecting it. The previous owner was nice enough to deliver to our house (nearly a 500 mile round trip for him).

Thx!

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I have thought I would love a little trailer. We used to have a 23’ trailer towed with both Ford Station wagon and Maxivan. Towed with the Maxivan from Calif to east coast by myself with four kids under 12 and back with hubby. Have had 28’ motor home and now 22 foot class B. The trailer is great if you want to park and spiral out from base camp. But motorhome is great for constant moving and boondocks. My hometown was Cincy, lots of relatives back there. East of St. Louis is great as so, so much to see in short distance. Out here you have to travel great distances to get anywhere. Your wife will easily handle whatever you buy, not to worry. I love that you are making long range plans. They say people only get old when they look backwards and not enough forward planning. Good for you! Well, onward. If I find a Casita or like....great!
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote