Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Default Hi. New Here and Need Advice on Roadtrek 190 Popular

Hi Everyone,

Just signed up here...so hello!

I am actively looking for a used Class B and just looked at a clean 2001 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Dodge Chassis).

However, it has 170K miles on it.

My question to start is what are some of potential issues/age related problems I should look for?

The previous owner has detailed records of maintenance and over 10K of work done to it (suspension for one) and it does not look like it was lived in.

The gen only has 93 hrs on it so maybe that's a concern.

They are asking 18K.

I will be living in it for much of the time the next year.

Any help and advice would be appreciated

Ken
kholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

How long ago was the work done? Exactly what did they spend $10k on? A transmission can cost $2500 easily, but if it was replaced 10 years ago that receipt means nothing.

Mileage to me is something of a good sign, it means the unit didn't sit and rot. 170k isn't outrageous but it's somewhat high. The engine in that van will easily outlive the body as long as you take of it so that shouldn't be a concern.

As with any used vehicle, take it to a mechanic for a check over. Get them to attach a scan tool and look for engine codes or transmission codes.

Check the oil, is it clean or dirty? Is the oil foamy? Check the radiator (when it's cold only!), can you see oil floating in the antifreeze? Does the transmission fluid smell burnt or is it dark? How are the tires and are they the right size? Are they cheap tires? How does it drive and handle? Does the dash/roof AC work? Any softness to the roof, walls or floors? Any black streaks on the inside at the bottom of any of the windows or roof vents? Does the unit smell musty or moldy?

Sorry, there's a million questions to ask. The ones above are the big money items to fix. And they're the same things you'd look for when buying a used car.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Hi Bruceper,

Thanks a ton for your post! Very helpful and is giving me a more comprehensive view of what I need to look out for.

Ken
kholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Aside from the aforementioned generic used vehicle considerations, I’d pay special attention of the condition of the frame in the front (ahead of the firewall basically), as it seems to be a bit of a weaker spot on the final iteration (98-03) of the venerable Dodge vans from what I’ve been able to tell. Issues of corrosion from the chassis battery leaking further compound this issue; Pay attention to that too and have good look there. The general condition of the frame (and body) is the one part that isn’t easily repairable.

The 5.2/5.9 [318-360] engines are known to be very reliable. The 46RE transmission however has a bit less stellar reputation. So pay particular attention of how well it’s shifting (no slips between gear changes, pay attention to the 2-3 in particular, and overdrive too) and the maintenance history there. Probably the number one cause of issues there is wrong ATF, so beware the quick lube type shops there, but 2-3 flare and overdrive related failures seem to be somewhat common. If it’s a high mileage unit with no transmission maintenance history just assume it could fail at any point and plan/budget accordingly.

I’d say the most common complaint with dodge chassis vans of this era is the handling; In short the front end needs to kept in tip top shape (amongst a lot of other factors from tires to shocks to springs etc.), and even then, its going to handle so so at best.

With any RV, but particularly an older one, its best if you are handy… It’s a pretty high maintenance sort of deal with all of the problems of a house and a car in one.
Turbowhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I looked at the hours on that generator...that would raise a red flag on that, unless it is a replacement. If they exercised it regularly it doesn't come close to what would be "normal." Ron

Tags
roadtrek, roadtrek 190