Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Default Hi! Newbies taking the plunge SP21 - Advice?

Hello -TOTAL newbies here. My family and I have been roadtrippers for the past five years (coast-to-coast), but by SUV and hotel/motel with some sleep-in-the-SUV nights (cramped but functional). We've done quite a bit of reasearch (attended area RV shows, YouTube reviews and just found this forum), but there's so much to learn. We are first time RV'ers and some of this world is a bit intimidating.

Heavily leaning toward Travato 59G/GL.
- Prefer front benchseat for closer family time while traveling
- Also need the 3rd sleeping option (soon-to-be empty nesters, but planning summer roadtrips with our teenager)
- Prefer gas over diesel and Ram/Ford chasis for furture repair and upkeep

Questions
- Any other Class Bs you'd recommend (or have) given these preferences?
- We considered Solis pop-up - but what happens/where do you sleep if raining? (remember we're first-timers)
- If we are not full-timers, how important is lithium battery?
- Any add-on options/ideas for hanging wardrobe?
- Any add-ons or modifications you've made and recommend?

Any advice or insight you have for first time RV'ers and first time buyers is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to reading through and learning more from the threads.
Roadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrippin View Post
Hello -TOTAL newbies here. My family and I have been roadtrippers for the past five years (coast-to-coast), but by SUV and hotel/motel with some sleep-in-the-SUV nights (cramped but functional). We've done quite a bit of reasearch (attended area RV shows, YouTube reviews and just found this forum), but there's so much to learn. We are first time RV'ers and some of this world is a bit intimidating.

Heavily leaning toward Travato 59G/GL.
- Prefer front benchseat for closer family time while traveling
- Also need the 3rd sleeping option (soon-to-be empty nesters, but planning summer roadtrips with our teenager)
- Prefer gas over diesel and Ram/Ford chasis for furture repair and upkeep

Questions
- Any other Class Bs you'd recommend (or have) given these preferences?
- We considered Solis pop-up - but what happens/where do you sleep if raining? (remember we're first-timers)
- If we are not full-timers, how important is lithium battery?
- Any add-on options/ideas for hanging wardrobe?
- Any add-ons or modifications you've made and recommend?

Any advice or insight you have for first time RV'ers and first time buyers is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks and I look forward to reading through and learning more from the threads.
Thor has a new product on the market directly competing with the Travato, check out the Thor Tellaro or Sequence. They have three floor plans strikingly similaire to the Travato . I just got a Sequence 20L and can’t wait to pick it up!
PRKThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

welcome to the forums

the more units you can look at; live or video the more you can parse out which features are important which are not, which layouts work better.

in video, the often large sales guys will give an idea of how easy it is to move around inside the van.

for many the priority is the bed size

and kids get a tent... see you in the morning

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #4

Thanks PRK Thomas - and congrats on your new Sequence - how exciting! I definitely liked the Sequence as well, but am looking for the additional front seating and didn't see an additional sleeing option in their layouts. Will check out the Tellaro. Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome and insight, mkguitar - your tent idea made me laugh. Already having some difficulty with the thought of our one-and-only heading to college, so we'll be keeping them inside with us if possible (hence, the need for sleeping options for 3 inside). Some taller people in our family so bed length will be a factor too....thanks again. This is a great forum!
Old 08-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

bed length right away means no sideways sleepers

not kidding about the tent- configuring around a family member who may be gone while the warranty is still in effect could make the rest of the coach layout compromised in some aspects.

many of us are at an age where using the can at night is part of life - that's when you want the kids out in their tent...string them power and they can keep their own hours
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the no sideway sleeper insight and for the clarification on the tent sleeping. So far family trips have just been the 3 of us so wouldn't put the teenager outside in tent...yet.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #8

Sequence 20A or Tellaro 20AT both have a bench forward facing seat right behind the driver.
Paul Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Craven View Post
Sequence 20A or Tellaro 20AT both have a bench forward facing seat right behind the driver.
We camped with our 26 yo son for a week in our Tellaro 20AT with SkyBunk. He slept up top, we slept in the back. Worked fine. Bench seat is ok for one adult.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote