Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 04:51 AM   #1

Smile Howdy From Austin, Texas!

Hi Everyone. My name is Jules and my hubby is Danny. We just sold our home and close in 9 days and are ready to hear from you, your thoughts, both Pro's and Con's to the Coachman Galleria FL and Crossfit 22C.

A little about us so you can offer your advice. I still work, in the Airline Field and Danny is retired. Danny is 6' 3" and it is a true challenge to fit on one of the beds. There are some Class B's that he isn't able to even stand up straight, i.e., Airstream Interstate.

Our intent is to full time (I know, I know). We have been discussing selling the house and downsizing (dramatically) for two years. We put the house on the market and it sold the next day! Five offers. So.....we need to make this decision.

Please help us. We would love to hear your Pro's and Con's from you that own these particular Class B's or perhaps have a better Class B for us to consider.

We have been glued to You Tube for the last two years, but honestly, we are down to the wire and would love your input!

Thanks y'all!

Jules
DJTolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My best advice is to get on the respective Facebook groups (use a fake name if you are concerned about privacy). Then do searches and scroll through the comments. I don't know much about the Galleria, but it might be better for a full-time couple just because it's a little bigger. That said, it's a Mercedes and not everyone has good luck with them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coachmencrossfit/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694449227542056/

You might also do a search here - there are several posts regarding the Crossfit (renamed Beyond) and Galleria.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTolley View Post
Hi Everyone. My name is Jules and my hubby is Danny. We just sold our home and close in 9 days and are ready to hear from you, your thoughts, both Pro's and Con's to the Coachman Galleria FL and Crossfit 22C.

A little about us so you can offer your advice. I still work, in the Airline Field and Danny is retired. Danny is 6' 3" and it is a true challenge to fit on one of the beds. There are some Class B's that he isn't able to even stand up straight, i.e., Airstream Interstate.

Our intent is to full time (I know, I know). We have been discussing selling the house and downsizing (dramatically) for two years. We put the house on the market and it sold the next day! Five offers. So.....we need to make this decision.

Please help us. We would love to hear your Pro's and Con's from you that own these particular Class B's or perhaps have a better Class B for us to consider.

We have been glued to You Tube for the last two years, but honestly, we are down to the wire and would love your input!

Thanks y'all!

Jules
Travato 59K has an 80" long bed. 6'2 or 3" standing height on the inside. Check out the Regency National Traveler if you want more headroom. Congrats on your move.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:10 AM   #4

Since you’re in Austin you might want to check out Sportsmobile. They do custom Sprinter and Transit conversions. They could basically make you whatever type of class B you wanted to fit your needs,
Shoalbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
Silver Member

Agree with the suggestion to check out Sportsmobile. I'm also 6'3" and couldn't stand up in most of the models we looked at. Our solution was to buy a ultra tall Sprinter - 7' interior head height before ceiling and insulation and build our own. We're 3.5 years of Saturday construction into the project, so it's not for everyone. But it was useable after 1.5 years and we've had great trips. And we were able to cherry pick the best technologies. But Sportsmobile would be a great way to get the features you want and not take so long. Good luck! We love traveling in ours.
tex4judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I am in Austin, too...for 3 more weeks..happy to help in any way...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:57 AM   #7
Silver Member

If your husband is that big of a guy, I would seriously suggest a b+ as opposed to a regular b.

Some whine about there not really being a b+ classification but everyone knows what it is.

Basically its a really small class c. I have a 1988 allegro 23' based on a Chevy Astro minivan and a 1987 class b Ford e350. Both are fully self contained and just about exactly the same overall length, but the minivan b+ is FAR roomier on the inside and has an actual bath/shower combo vs a tub-bottomed shower in the class b that fits a poodle and that I can barely fit in sitting down and I'm 5'10", so I typically shower standing outside w the rear doors open as the shower is at the very rear. The b+ also gets 12.5 mpg at 65mph and the class b gets about 10. However, it is a v8 5.8 and the b+ is a v6 4.3.
Another possible option for y'all is a larger pickup truck slide in camper. This also gives the option of offloading the camper and freeing up the pickup truck if y'all are in one place for a while. It also makes it easy to have 4x4 for more far out camping or offloading the camper and then going offroading.
So good luck !!
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:02 AM   #8
Silver Member

If your husband is that big of a guy, I would seriously suggest a b+ as opposed to a regular b.

Some whine about there not really being a b+ classification but everyone knows what it is.

Basically its a really small class c. I have a 1988 allegro 23' based on a Chevy Astro minivan and a 1987 class b Ford e350. Both are fully self contained and just about exactly the same overall length, but the minivan b+ is FAR roomier on the inside and has an actual bath/shower combo vs a tub-bottomed shower in the class b that fits a poodle and that I can barely fit in sitting down and I'm 5'10", so I typically shower standing outside w the rear doors open as the shower is at the very rear. The b+ also gets 12.5 mpg at 65mph and the class b gets about 10. However, it is a v8 5.8 and the b+ is a v6 4.3.
Another possible option for y'all is a larger pickup truck slide in camper. This also gives the option of offloading the camper and freeing up the pickup truck if y'all are in one place for a while. It also makes it easy to have 4x4 for more far out camping or offloading the camper and then going offroading.
So good luck !!
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:51 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I would also suggest looking at a Class B+. You will likely appreciate the extra foot of width. I would look at the B+ models from Phoenix Cruiser, Coach House, and the Gulfstream BT Cruiser. These 3 companies' Class B+'s have various lengths from 21' to 31' and various layouts.They have models in both the Ford chassis and the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

The Gulfstreams have an interior height of 6'5"
Phoenix Cruisers have an interior height of 6'4"
Coach House's have an interior height of 6'3"

Check out their websites. You can buy directly from the factory with Phoenix Cruiser and Coach House.

I currently have a 1998 Coachmen Starflyte 21' Class B+ (this B+ is my favorite).
I've previously owned a 1994 Coachmen M19-RD Class B 19' Camper Van, a Winnebago Warrior 25' Class A, a 1989 Mallard Sprint 19' Class B+ and a 1985 Intervec Horizon 17' Class B Camper Van.

David

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

I’m picking up a new Galleria on Wednesday, went with the FL floor plan and the LI3 system really attracted us. I called customer service at the factory yesterday with questions, got through on the first try and spoke with the head of cs. That was encouraging. We also checked recalls, very few compared to some others. I’ll post more as we try it. We had a 40 foot dutchstar, be interested how this compares.
Winetime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You will really like dealing with Coachmen's Class B division! We have been out of warranty for over a year and they just sent us a new part gratis. I offered to pay for it, but the parts manager wouldn't charge me. Not saying everyone should expect that, but I have found them to be incredibly responsive.

When I sent him an email to his work @forestriverinc.com it was 9pm in Indiana and he responded immediately! Those guys must live and breath customer service.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Congratulations on your Coachmen Galleria! I like Coachmen B's and B+'s. Best wishes.

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 AM   #13

My wife and I are also going to be full timing in the CrossFit(as soon as the house sells, we quit our jobs of a combined 50 years and we sell all our stuff). We just spent a week in a 2018 roadtrek Simplicity 19 ft class B to see if we could full time in something that small. I’m 6’2” and had no problem standing or sleeping in it, but look forward to the crossfit’s Extra storage and better room for taller drivers. She loved it and thinks she Will not have any problems with full time. I’m positive we a both being insanely optimistic about our new life in a class B, but we will never know for sure unless we try it. We have been discussing for 2 years and the 1week test drive was the first step...

T&M
TnM’inAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:56 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnM’inAround View Post
My wife and I are also going to be full timing in the CrossFit(as soon as the house sells, we quit our jobs of a combined 50 years and we sell all our stuff). We just spent a week in a 2018 roadtrek Simplicity 19 ft class B to see if we could full time in something that small. I’m 6’2” and had no problem standing or sleeping in it, but look forward to the crossfit’s Extra storage and better room for taller drivers. She loved it and thinks she Will not have any problems with full time. I’m positive we a both being insanely optimistic about our new life in a class B, but we will never know for sure unless we try it. We have been discussing for 2 years and the 1week test drive was the first step...

T&M
Welcome to the forum!

You and your wife are biting off a big chunk of lifestyle change. The trifecta as I call it. Retirement, Selling the House, and Full Time Rving. Give things a little time to sink in (there will be an adjustment period for each event), but don't fear it. Your nice new rig should serve you well.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:06 AM   #15

Thank you for the words of wisdom, they are appreciated. Out of the pan and Into the fire as they say.

Congrats to Jules and Danny on the quick sale of your home! I’m envious that your journey is beginning and can’t wait to hear what rig you decide on getting.

Cheers, T&M
TnM’inAround is offline   Reply With Quote