Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Talking Howdy from Texas...

Hi,
We are purchasing a Roadtrek SS Agile and are prepping for a trip from Texas to California. Very excited to make this trip in a more comfortable way (esp for our 3 dogs)! Hoping to learn more about how to operate the RV and meet new folks along the way.
Thigmans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hey-

Welcome

we just have the one dog ( 65#)- in our chev the floor gets hot between the seats- which is where we put her dog bed ( although she often lounges on the bed or fight w/ wife for pass seat).

when I remove my side window covers (reflectix- home depot) I slide them under the dog bed to help with that heat.
* I have covers for the rear and rear side windows which we leave in place during the day when driving.

make sure the dogs have access to water- a wide shallow bowl with antiskid mat ( and we also have a doormat with a ridge to catch spills)

and have them wearing their collars with tags just in case one slips away at a rest stop ( we see signs sometimes for dog lost that way)

Hot in AZ on I-10, make sure your tires are good and watch out for the tire skins ( and wires) from those who didn't check

There is now a Phx bypass running south fo the city which keeps you out of much of the traffic- if going to SD you'd take I-8

many of us have tire pressure monitoring- I use a $40 amazon unit, the prime use is so that I can watch for tire trouble should I hit any of the debris

with a new rv spend alot of time in the driveway learning all the systems

I have another, older brand- there are plenty of R/T agile owners here for questions

( Roadtreks have 3 windows in the top- so you know who to wave at, who to ignore!)

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks Mike!
Old 06-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Howdy from Texas

Congratulations on your SS Agile. That's what we have and we specifically wanted that model because of the length. I agree with Mike. Spend a lot of time in your driveway learning what you can before you hit the road. Read the manuals for both the Mercedes and Roadtrek and take notes. We've had ours for almost 2 years and we think we understand MOSTLY everything! If you have never driven a Mercedes before, remember when you start the engine, wait a few seconds for the glow plug light to go off. Remember to buy DEF fluid and keep that topped off.

Learn how to fill and dump your tanks. It's pretty easy with the maserator. We flush the black water first and then the gray water which helps rinse the hose. You can continue to run water into the sink to keep flushing. Personally, we put TP in the garbage rather than the toilet.

We bought Reflectix and use it in the windows. It keeps you warm in the winter as well as cooling the interior now. Just cut it to the sizes you need. When we're parked, we find that with the windows open and the fan going, it stays pretty cool, but we are in Northern CA, not Texas.

I could write several pages here but I think once you do your "driveway"run, come back here with specific questions and we will be happy to help.

If you are on Facebook, there is a Roadtrek group where you can learn a lot and ask questions. Have fun!

Ellen
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #5

Thank u Ellen... couple of quick questions.

1) How did u guys secure your Television/retractable arm?
2) the spice rack is odd... did you use that? The spices fall through it (Not important but just curious).

Appreciate the advice! ��
Old 06-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #6

Thank u Ellen... couple of quick questions.

1) How did u guys secure your Television/retractable arm?
2) the spice rack is odd... did you use that? The spices fall through it (Not important but just curious).

Appreciate the advice! 😉
Old 06-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
Bronze Member

There is a swing out arm on the TV with a knob that holds it in place. In case your knob is missing, see if you can find threads where it should be.

The spice rack... yes. We tried spices and they fell through. We keep a cup with toothbrushes in it, sunscreen, I think a very small folded up umbrella, a small microfiber towel... I had thought of adding some support but we don't need access to spices as much as having a visible "junk drawer"! I hate the sound of things rattling around when we drive, so what is in there has to fit tightly. Trial and error!
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:53 PM   #8

I’m thinking of velcroing all of the spices in the rack! Lol ��

Tags
roadtrek agile