Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 AM   #1

Default I am a new potential Road Trek owner - will have questions!

Hi! I've been a RoadTrek fan for a while, and now have an opportunity to buy a seemingly well maintained 1999 Dodge 190 Popular. It has 84K miles on it and lived in Florida until recently. I drove it tonight, seemed to drive well, the steering was a little sloppy, but I guess that's how these old vans are. I couldn't test any of the systems since I don't really know how they work. I hope this group may be able to help me if I take the plunge. I will be talking to the owner tomorrow and hopefully will learn more. We just became empty nesters this year and looking to see some more of our great country - but economically, as two of our kids are still in college. We also have a tear drop camper. Looking forward to chatting and hopefully becoming an owner!
Tom Gerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #2
Platinum Member

have the owner demonstrate that each of teh systems works

hot water furnace, burners ( all propane probably)

fridge- propane, ac and dc

generator

and all the plumbing systems no funky smells or leaks.

no water staining in the walls

check DOT codes on the tires, should be less than 6 or 7 years old- if old that could be the slop, or could be wear in the shocks or the suspension itself. Think about having a mechanic check the van.

if florida is like AZ all the rubber could be sun damaged...seals, hoses, tires etc

older machine, you will have to be handy with a screwdriver etc. CDN vehicles use Robertson R1 and R2 for cabinetry and electrical- it's tapered square drive you can find at hardware store

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard.
I would also have the awning deployed to see its condition. If possible I would pull the anode rod for the hot water tank and see its condition. Ron
Old 03-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That vintage of the Dodge chassis are known for handling issues, with some being much worse than others for unknown reasons. Be sure to drive it in windy conditions and around passing semis and such to be sure you will be comfortable driving it on long trips in windy conditions.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:00 AM   #5

Well.... I guess I am officially a part of the team now! Made the purchase today! Thanks for the feedback. The generator has 377 hours on it, but it cranked right up and ran what needed to run. The owner replaced all the water lines 2 years ago. I crawled all over the place, and aside from a missing table top and a missing "3rd seat" (the previous owners used it to transport someone in a wheel chair, took the seat out and we don't know where it is ) - it looks super solid! Regarding the handling, I did drive it on the interstate.. don't remember if I was near a semi. I could definitely feel that I was driving a long, tall vehicle, but it didn't seem to handle poorly. I got a really great deal (comparing to the prices I see on rvtrader, ebay, and some dealers) - I pick it up Monday and I cannot wait! I hope to find a rally to go to soon.... I'm in South Carolina. Happy to be a RoadTrekker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roadtrek 1.jpg (99.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

"and a missing "3rd seat""

Unless you need it, no problem. I put my paramotor there, and flew mostly western states.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:51 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Someone at the FB RT & Hymer group was throwing away a third seat.
She posted it a few weeks ago.
You might still have time to catch it.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 AM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

There is a suspension recall or retro fit for certain year Dodge.
Google can tell you the detail.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:18 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

There is a suspension recall or retro fit for certain year Dodge.
Google can tell you the detail.
It was a TSB, technical service bulletin, from Chrysler that included a recommendation to put in stiffer rear springs, firmer shocks, different alignment specs, and maybe some other things. Folks that did all the recommended things report it did help a lot.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #10
Platinum Member

TSB here:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/at...1&d=1488682097
Attached Files
File Type: doc _TSB 19-002-01 Rev A.doc (38.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Congratulations. I too am a new RT owner (as of last month). Despite getting a pre-purchase mechanical inspection, I am finding lots of small things that are keeping me busy. One is a propane leak.... I identified the source (a hose that runs from the wing-shaped cutoff to the LP tank), and ordered a new one. I had to replace the foam cushions (old and smoke-odors). I changed a leaky grey water blade valve yesterday. I found a leaky grey water pipe also.... gotta work on that this week.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I spent a good amount of time in my driveway learning the systems with the manuals...and figuring out where everything is and assembling a toolset to stay in the van.
Mine came with pretty comprehensive service records for the chevy part.

I spent a good couple of days giving each screw a 1/8 or 1/4 turn as the wood dries and shrinks in our climate

so you learn to wave at the right tribe- RT's have 3 windows in the front, most other makes have 2
( i wave at everyone)

enjoy

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
I hope to find a rally to go to soon....
Not super soon, but there is this rally
http://b-rally.org/

5/18-21, Williamsburg, VA
It will be our first rally!
Old 03-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #14

Thanks, everyone, for the messages. Yes, mine seems to have been well maintained, but I will be doing a thorough test of all the systems in my driveway, well before I take it anywhere. Also, there are a fair number of rattles and squeaks in the interior as I drive it. I'm going to try the "locate every screw and give it a quarter turn" and see if that helps. It's 18 years old and has a lot of parts that are screwed together. I also learned - after I bought it - that the water system hadn't been winterized this year.... we're in South Carolina and haven't had much cold weather, so hopefully I won't find any surprises. Good news is that the interior is immaculate and smells fresh. The previous owner took much pride.. matching comforters, stuff I don't really care about, but the pride of ownership shows.

Thanks for the info on the rally, too. I also have a Casita trailer and a Runaway teardrop style camper. We have really enjoyed going to ralleys to meet up with like minded folks and to learn about our toys! I hope to be there!