Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAislandgirl View Post
Wow. Don't know what to say. Brand new class B problematic enough, an older unit could have lots of issues. How old is the propane tank, regulators, gas lines have they been replaced during the life of the unit? AC, Furance, carbon monoxide detectors, etc.
Roof leaks? How old are tires, could have good thread but bad dry rot and blowout risk.
Just some questions about general over all safety. Drive it and see if it floats.
Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. If there were lots of other affordable used B's, I would walk. To clarify -- The owner will certify before selling, so all safety issues will supposedly be addressed. I've done a thorough PPI as best I could, and my mechanic, who has worked on B's, has checked it over. Not sure about hoses etc. that may need replacing, but the appliances, lights, windows, etc. are all working. 2 new batteries, no generator ( but oddly, has an Onan panel) No creaks or rattles and feels like a good drive. One owner, no liens or accidents on the car fax report. With taxes inc. the cost would be $26,000 CDN. Today is the day I decide. Would you go for it if you were me?
Emjaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #222
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaycee View Post
Thank you for your reply. If there were lots of other affordable used B's, I would walk. To clarify -- The owner will certify before selling, so all safety issues will supposedly be addressed. I've done a thorough PPI as best I could, and my mechanic, who has worked on B's, has checked it over. Not sure about hoses etc. that may need replacing, but the appliances, lights, windows, etc. are all working. 2 new batteries, no generator ( but oddly, has an Onan panel) No creaks or rattles and feels like a good drive. One owner, no liens or accidents on the car fax report. With taxes inc. the cost would be $26,000 CDN. Today is the day I decide. Would you go for it if you were me?
Personally I've had the reverse midais touch lately, so if I said do it-- then you should do the opposite. If you have a good mechanic and realize that you will have repair bills, then if that works for your situation you should do what you feel you need to do.
GAislandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #223
Platinum Member

Quote:
Who is the actual seller, the dealer or the guy he is representing? What exactly is he going to "certify" and what would their liability be for problems? If they are a dealer, they will have a Carfax subscription, so they should have given you a report. A cluster of owners on a vehicle with a recent fire would be a huge alarm.

Has the van been partially fixed since the fire? If not, there is certainly hidden damage. If so, find out who did the work and what they did, so you can check it out. Also ask why the cowl and hood weren't fixed.

This just seems like someone bought a fixer upper to make some quick bucks, and then found out it was cost prohibitive to fix. There well may be a very good reason it is stuck in a small town.

Personally, I would not do it, but I am risk aversive, to many alarms.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:00 PM   #224
Platinum Member

If it has an Onan panel and no generator that just means someone removed the generator.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #225
Platinum Member

I just noticed you said clean Carfax one owner no accidents.

How then, did someone just buy it at auction to sell? That would be a second owner unless they are jumping title, which is very common with dealers and rebuilders. If there was an insurance claim, there should also be an entry on the Carfax for that.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #226
Platinum Member

I'd walk in, pull out 50 hundred dollar bills and wait for a response and not say a word. If you get a no then say nothing, turn around and leave.

This toilet ain't worth 26k, and paying five grand might be too much.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #227

Default Hello Everyone...Just joined!

Hi...I am brand new to this site. I have a 1998 American Landscape Class B van motorhome and a 24' class C motorhome. I have a hard time finding any info on the American Landscape van. I did some research and the company that used to make them is out of business. Does anyone else on here own one of those? Thank you for letting me join.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #228
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum

That's a new one to me - I don't recall hearing about that brand. You've probably seen these Youtube videos:

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #229
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, what happened? Did you get it?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #230

I did! It took two weeks, BBQ. I packed one change of clothes. We were in a heat wave, and I was miles from home, in a strange town, in big truck country, and I had stay present to hold my ground. With a great mechanic advising me, and I got stuff re-done to meet a higher safety standard, at the dealers expense. I really appreciated the time you and other folks took to give me their feedback, though. I didn't come back to the forum, partly because I found it confusing to use. And after someone commented that he "wouldn't go near this toilet!" It propelled me right offline into my own inner thread, which felt more like a breeze from the wings of angels. I'm very pleased with my new old Motorhome. Once I catch up and recover, the next learning curve begins. I'm new to the world of grey water, propane and volts. Will pay or barter to be taught, should any of you be anywhere near Aurora Ontario.
Emjaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #231
BBQ
Platinum Member

Good to hear. Congratulations.

You did the smart thing -- you brought a good mechanic with you.

Let the journey begin.
Keep us posted with your good times.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #232

Question New member and questions

I am a new member. Purchased a 1990 Dodge Ram class B. Is in excellent condition. No operating manual and I am new to these. Need instructions for:
How to turn on gas
Is furnace automatic by turning on thermostat
Exactly how to attach new sewer hose to outlet to empty
Which outlet is for sewage and which is to empty fresh water tank
When you fill fresh water tank, does overage automatically go into sewage tank or do you pour water down toilet with freshener/breakdown product
Taking out first time next week. THANK YOU !
P-trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #233
Platinum Member

A 1990 class B. If you let us know what make and model of motorhome we might be able to help further.

Also, check Youtube for videos on how to do things on your B. That's probably the best way to get an introduction on how to do things.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #234
Bronze Member

Turn on gas at outside propane tank, furnace will be self starting if there is an on/off switch on the thermostat, just turn it on and turn up the temp. There will probably only be 1 sewage/grey water tank with one outlet. When filling fresh water any overage will come out of the vent right where you fill it, it's full when that happens. Tank freshener product is poured into toilet.
briancummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #235

Default Help in class b

Thanks for quick replies to my questions. Taking her out next week, and I think it will be great to hop in and go!
P-trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #236

Default just getting started

Hi, new to this forum. I don't have an RV yet but I am researching Class B vehicles. No towing, just myself, and possible multi-month traveling is what I am interested in.

My budget is probably $50K USD at the moment. I have seen a few Pleasure Way Excel vans for sale and like the looks and size. Don't know how they stack up to others in my price range. That's why I am here!

cheers
Roger
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #237
Bronze Member

Test drive it and see if it "floats" on the road. Floaters can take the fun out of driving.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #238

I don't understand what you mean by "floats". Instability at highway speeds?
Also, thanks for the reply.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #239
Bronze Member

Vehicle floats on highway = sway, shimmy, sensation of moving sideways while driving down highway ... Etc.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #240
Bronze Member

Google search ford pleasure way excel floats or wanders on highway.