Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #121
Platinum Member

I've been slowly stickin my toes into the forum....
In another life I lived in a van with a tent for awhile, then later on another occasion, in a Sportsmobile. Now, I am getting the itch to travel again. I have fell in love with the Promaster, and I will end up with one soon. I Just love the way it drives and handles.
I have a 1997 Dodge Paul Sherry conversion Van now that we "weekend" and camp with often (along with a tent for the the two teens). We rented one of the smallest conventional class C's for a trip, which was fun, but still a whole different world than class B RV'ing. I don't think most newcomers realize how much of a difference there is between the two. It is a whole different style of travel. And a B has many more uses than those once a year vacations..
I was shopping and saving my pennies for a Travato G until I started seeing some custom builds that were not only better fitted to what I need, but sometimes even less money. So now I am sort of in Limbo, searching the forums for info on self builds and upfitter custom builds, and waiting to try out one of the new travatos (which apparently does improve on a couple troublesome areas of older models, like the especially for me, the un-do-able, cramped dinette....) What I really want, is the floorplan of an older Roadtrek "versatile" built into a Promaster. ...and yes, Davydd, I know they make one in a Mercedes.... but, ... I'm not interested.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #122

Default New member and new to RVing

Hello all. My wife and I just purchased our first Rv. It is a 2013 Pleasure way Pursuit with 23,000 km on it. That is about 14,000 Miles. Looking forward to touching base with members so that we can learn the ups and downs of RV life.
Stringvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #123

Hi! Newbie here in Gig Harbor, Wa.
Purchased a 95 dodge Coachmen (Saratoga) a few months ago. Absolutely love it and we are preparing to take a trip down the Pan Am Highway in Feb for the year. Hoping to learn as much as I can from all the folks here!
monaw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #124

Howdy
We are Allan and Karen from Eugene, Oregon.
Currently own a 2014 Lil Snoozy travel trailer and considering a RT Agile.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #125

Default New to Forum

My husband and I owned a Class A for the past ten years. We thoroughly enjoyed all the wonderful trips we took, but decided our style of travel was much better suited to a Class B. We just recently purchased a 2016 Pleasureway Lexor TS on the Dodge Promaster chassis. We took our first trip last week up the Blue Ridge Parkway and through the Shenandoah National Park. We are still experiencing a learning curve on how to pack and share the space but love the maneuverability of the van.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #126
Platinum Member

Welcome.

I'm still in a learning curve mode also. I used to bring everything along in my old Class C but that doesn't work anymore.

What I'm learning is that I do different kind of trips requiring different outfitting. For example, camping might require I bring a camp stove and chairs whereas visiting my brother and staying at his house, won't. So I'm developing different checklists of things I'd like to have along depending on what I'm doing.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:01 AM   #127
Bronze Member

Hi, I'm Ken. We just purchased a 2000 Okanagan done on a relateively hard to find Dodge 3500 chassis, I'd been looking for a while at various Okanagan units due to otheir higher ceiling for my 6'3" height. We've been out of RV'ing for about 15 years, having gone from a VW Westy, a 1980 Okanagan similar to the newer one but w/o tub/shower), a Class C, then Class A before we ended. Looking forward to getting going again from out base in Alberta. Got to admit I'd forgotten how little storage their is so willl have to relearn that. I really like Eric's above comment different lists for different type of use.
See you on the road. Safe travels all!
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #128

Hello From Florida! Our favorite is the Ram Promaster Chassis. Plenty of room for the imagination and great MPG. We have traveled in many different RV's, but the Class B fits us and our travel styles the best.
llfurbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:04 AM   #129

Hi, I am new to this forum and about to retire--gosh I've been working full time since 1968 and this rite-of-passage--this immigration into the final country of my life thrills me. I have never equated who I am to my employment--have practiced my poetry and photography as an avocation to keep my sanity. So now I soon will be free to make my avocation my vocation. I am thinking of a Class B rig as my platform to take extended roadtrips to visit my friends in all parts of the USA--Alaska to Louisiana; also to explore the amazing natural wonders America the beautiful has in abundance. I like Roadtrek, Pleasure Way. My means only allow for a rig costing under $60,000 what with the finance payment I can budget for. But what is more I don't know whom I can trust to truthfully represent the rig. Do any of you have recommendations about honest dealers? No doubt many of you started out in the same position. Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom.
1Finepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #130
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Finepoet View Post
My means only allow for a rig costing under $60,000 what with the finance payment I can budget for. But what is more I don't know whom I can trust to truthfully represent the rig. Do any of you have recommendations about honest dealers?
Fine poet,
Welcome to the country!
At 60k, with the brands you are looking at, I assume you will be looking at a used unit (which is NOT a bad thing). You can find some great rigs at that price point, just barely broken in. One of the best things about used, is you Do Not have to deal with ANY questionable dealers, as there are many. But you can find allot of used rigs on Craigslist, local papers etc that are for sale by good retired folks who just don't have the use for them. They buy with good intentions, take great care of their property, service as needed, but for whatever reason (wrong size, health, etc), are ready to let it go for a fair price (usually much FAIRER than any dealer)
Your region of the country would be helpful, and you might get a couple good recommendations from people who have had good experiences. But even if you do find a reputable dealer, the best you can hope for is that they looked it over, and made some repairs to obvious problems. You might get a short term warranty that they might or might not stand behind.. Either way, expect to pay more from a dealer, but I would not expect the unit to be "better" in some way. The dealer is not the one who took care of, or MIStreated the unit, the owner is. Many times you can make s good guess at how well the unit was treated just by visiting the owners home
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #131

Greetings. I purchased a run down 1992 Roadtrek Versatile and have been working on fixing things up and getting a few years life out of it. Excellent suggestions have been found on the site and will be incorporated as time permits. This RT is so my girlfriend and I can see how much we like the Class Bs. We will take it down to Florida in January if time permits..
cheers
dan
danfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #132

My wife and I have been dry camping for 10 years in a 17' camper trailer which I modified with an extra fresh water tank, 3 large marine batteries and 1000 watt inverter. We recently ordered a Roadtrek Zion to give us even more freedom to boondock around Canada and the US. Hoping to find remote areas to hike and explore as well as visiting unique villages to sample local cultures and foods.
gmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #133

Hey Karsty, Just signed up to this forum and stumbled on to your profile. In case you have forgotten you stayed at our Boondockers Welcome site in Bayfield this summer. We have sold our camper and ordered a Roadtrek Zion, so hope to be hitting the road soon. Hope all is well with you!
gmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 AM   #134

Hello All! Newbie green pea here, just purchased a high top 1993 Ford E-250 long distance- I haven't even seen it yet! But I will be home in a few weeks and ready to go to work getting it ready for a trip to Mexico hopefully, towing a sailboat.
In the meantime I've got some questions about batteries and what not, I look forward to learning more form the forum. Thanks!
eastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #135

We have a 2016 Winnebago Travato 59G. from Columbia, SC. we have been RV'ing about 1 month and already taken two outings. Love the Truma - Combi WH/Heater and our solar upgrade.
robp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #136

Smile Dr. J.

Hi we are new to RV. Will receive our class b in January. We own a MZB 3500 Sprinter. We have a question? We want an alarm and camera to monitor our German Shepard and the van while away for a few minutes. We heard there are devices that send text to your cell if say there is an electrical problem and the ac shuts down. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Happy RVing.
Dr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:19 AM   #137

Smile Dr. J.

Hi we are new to RV. Will receive our class b in January. We own a MZB 3500 Sprinter. We have a question? We want an alarm and camera to monitor our German Shepard and the van while away for a few minutes. We heard there are devices that send text to your cell if say there is an electrical problem and the ac shuts down. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Happy RVing.
Dr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #138

Long time rv'ers 35+years. We use a coach about 25-30k miles per year for business. After owning 13 different motor coaches from class c's to 6 Prevost conversions, we thought, we would try a "b van". We choose a used 2011 pleasure way excel because of the quality of the fit and finish of the unit. We also wanted simplicity of equipment. To date we have used the van about 3000 miles. We use it as a day coach to travel, drive it everywhere, park it anywhere, then check into a 4 star hotel or bed and breakfast (wife got tired of keeping the inside of a 45 foot bus clean).The ride is comfortable (no squeaks or rattles) and mileage has surprised me 16.0-18.6 on reg 85 octane. Big Plus? Momma loves driving it. Priceless!
FLT RISK
FLTRISK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #139
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRISK View Post
Big Plus? Momma loves driving it. Priceless!
FLT RISK
You got that!
Old 11-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #140

Hi from John and Mimi, Cazenovia NY. Formerly camped in an Aliner. Mimi didn't like the lack the lack of facilities. Just bought a 2013 Roadtrek Agile and will take delivery on Monday. Just went to Acadia N. P. With a rental. Had a great time.
johncawley is offline   Reply With Quote