Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #141

Hi! My wife and I are brand new to RVing. We've ordered a Diesel Travato 59G which we should get sometime in the first couple of months of 2016. We live in Eastern Oregon, and plan on using it for trips around the NW and the rest of the US in the next 2-3 years. We're looking forward to the learning curve... and hoping to glean some wisdom from the folks in these, and other, forums.
-Dan
ghosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:57 AM   #142
Platinum Member

Welcome.

Make sure you read the 59g thread first! Lots of good info there and elsewhere in this forum.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:43 AM   #143

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2016 Winnebago Travato 59G Last month. This is my first RV and I am using it as a hybrid work travel vehicle and "have fun with the kids" vehicle. I'll be living out of it 3 days a week and I admit I have no clue what I am doing so I will apologize in advance for silly questions. I know enough to search before you ask, so please be patient. I have come across my first question I can not get answered that I am looking for help with. Is there any way to install a roof rack on one of these things? Mine did not come with the factory installed rack. I do not have the solar package and would like some way to store cargo in low profile cases on the roof... things that I want available but will not need often. Any advice is appreciated!
kjosephscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #144
Platinum Member

There are several manufacturers of roof racks for the Dodge Promaster/Fiat Ducato. The Fiamma brand that Winnebago uses is just one. Do a google search. The racks attach to welded on tabs on the roof so you will not have to drill and the mount is very secure. Very easy to install. I think a Dodge/Ram dealer might even have something to look at. Try etrailer.com or autoanything, also. There's a bunch out there. Make sure you search both "Dodge" and "Ram" as the auto make.

After that, just pick the box you want but a warning. It's 9.5' to the roof. You're not going to use that box without a ladder, which you now get to bring along everywhere. Your mileage will also take a hit. And don't think about getting up on the roof. It will dent easily.

Look into a rear cargo carrier as an alternative like a stowaway. They're not cheap but neither is a rooftop carrier after you add up all the parts you'll need, (rack, box, ladder). The down side is that they add to your overall length.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #145
Platinum Member

The problem with an aftermarket roof rack is getting it to work with the Carefree awning that comes on the van. That's partly why the Fiamma rack is so expensive - it comes with the awning integrated into the rack.

I am pretty certain the rack costs you at least 1 mpg. My last van had the rack, and I couldn't get the same great mileage I had on my previous G, nor the K I have now. On my trip back I was getting a solid 19 before I got into the foothills.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #146
Platinum Member

While on the subject of cargo carriers, have you ever carried so much weight in one of those that it affected the handling of the Travato? Roughly how much weight can you safely carry?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Found the Fiamma for Promaster catalog online. No info on loading, though. Maybe there is something on the Euro site.

However, it does say "Easy installation without drilling the vehicle, thanks to the preinstalled fixing system on the roof of ProMaster." Does your Travato have brackets up there already?
Old 11-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #148
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Does your Travato have brackets up there already?
They all do. It's a Promaster thing.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 11-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #149
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The problem with an aftermarket roof rack is getting it to work with the Carefree awning that comes on the van. That's partly why the Fiamma rack is so expensive - it comes with the awning integrated into the rack.

I am pretty certain the rack costs you at least 1 mpg. My last van had the rack, and I couldn't get the same great mileage I had on my previous G, nor the K I have now. On my trip back I was getting a solid 19 before I got into the foothills.
I think I'll remove mine come spring. It looks like I'll be able to leave the brackets that hold the awning on and remove everything else. All it does now is hold the almost useless kayak racks.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 11-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #150

Thanks a ton. Good advice
kjosephscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 AM   #151

Greetings!
My wife and I picked up our 2016 Roadtrek Zion a week ago. Other than renting a Winnebago Era earlier this year, this is our first RV. We live near Chicago and are looking forward to our first big trip this spring.

And yes, I have been following the thread on the EcoTrek and the Volstart problem. It took the dealer 6 weeks to get ours fixed before we took delivery. But it is working fine now!
RoadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #152
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCat View Post
Greetings!
My wife and I picked up our 2016 Roadtrek Zion a week ago....
It took the dealer 6 weeks to get ours fixed before we took delivery. But it is working fine now!
Great! congratulations. It would be great to hear some real world feedback on how that stuff is working. Will you be able to travel much in the winter?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #153
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadCat View Post
Greetings!
My wife and I picked up our 2016 Roadtrek Zion a week ago. Other than renting a Winnebago Era earlier this year, this is our first RV. We live near Chicago and are looking forward to our first big trip this spring.

And yes, I have been following the thread on the EcoTrek and the Volstart problem. It took the dealer 6 weeks to get ours fixed before we took delivery. But it is working fine now!
Welcome...

Very good on them getting it working, reports continue to come in indicating that Roadtrek has things sorted out now. If you are in Facebook consider joining the Roadtrek Owners Group, lots of owners over there with good info.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #154

Congratulations! We picked up our 2016 Zion early Nov and have had several short camp trips. We opted not to get the VoltStart and just the basic 200 Lithium. It seems to meet our needs so far by allowing us to have all the electrical power required for an overnight stay.
gmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #155

Default On the market

We are new to the community having bought a travel trailer early this year. We realized a small motorhome is more conducive to our needs so now the search begins.

We live in central Ohio and have three daughters along with nine grandkids in central PA. Believe it or not, we are young for grandparents so still have many years until retirement. For this reason, we need the flexibility of being able to boondock for a couple of days dat a time during the "off-season" rather than relying on a travel trailer in storage half the year. Life and learn.

PaulnTwila
2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 LT
2014 Coachmen APEX 288BHS
50th Anniversary Edition
MurphyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:50 AM   #156

Hello! We are a young family looking to trade in our Class C for a Class B. After doing some extensive travel this year with the C, we realize we enjoy RVing but think a Class B is a better fit for us for several reasons....safety for young kids in carseats, better driving experience, no need for a toad. We live on the east coast and have to squeeze our travels into 2 week vacations, so speed limit driving and having 2 drivers would be huge pluses with a B. Our biggest challenge with the B will be sleeping arrangements for the kids, but there seem to be several solutions out there that could suit our needs. We look forward to learning more from you all!
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #157

Hello, I own a 07 Roadtrek 190 Versatile. I am a experienced RVer, have owned 3 RV's. I would like to know what class B motor home owners have to say about their RV's.
Mxwdg48@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:00 AM   #158
Bronze Member

Hi folks,
My name is Thanasis, I live Northern CA. I just discovered this forum yesterday, and I immediately decided to join.
We bought our Sprinter (cargo) new in 2006.
I did the conversion myself. It has been a never-ending project of love, since I seem to always find things to change/improve. I posted a few photos of my rig under my profile.
thanasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #159
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum thanasis. Thanks for sharing the photos - I liked what I saw.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #160

I bought a new 2015 Winnebago ERA 70A three months ago. It has a rear king size bed that converts into 2 twins. It also has a love seat (with 2 seat belts) that converts into a single bed. So, with 3 in the king and 1 in the single, you could squeeze 4 into the coach. We also bought a 2" memory foam mattress pad for the king. It is a definite improvement (eliminates the cracks feeling) and also warms the bed. The Ultra Leather can feel a little cold. We use light sleeping bags as the furnace is very effective, and we have a small portable RV electric heater to use if we have hookups. Have camped in Caspar WY in 25 degrees with 35 mph hour wind gusts, effectively about 17 degrees. Would motel it next time, as vans do not have that much insulation.
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote