Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

Default Just brought home a 1995 190 Versatile Roadtrek

Purchased today from the original owner and only has 86,000km! (I think they must have pushed it rather than driven it for all these years, lol).

They deliberately chose to not have the awning so I would like to track one down somehow. I'd appreciate any direction with that��

I look forward to getting to know other owners, particularly any other Canadians.

Cheers!
Miki
Miki's Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congratulations, and welcome to the Class B community!

I’m not sure what you mean by “tracking down” an awning. They’re not a Roadtrek-specific component. Awnings are made by third parties and used on a variety of RV types. Several companies make a similar type of crank-out case awning that would have been used back in 1995. Fiamma and Carefree are both good brands. I’ve heard more complaints about Dometic, but no personal experience. Mine has a Carefree, which I think was added by the dealer that originally sold it, not Roadtrek. They are all fairly fragile and have to be rolled in in when the wind picks up.

Figure $1000 for a basic manual case awning (and I’d personally skip the power and auto-retract features). You might find a used one, but test it first to make sure it’s not damaged. Measure the length you have available on the side of the raised roof to determine the size you need. You’ll need brackets to attach it.

There are also lower cost alternatives that give better coverage and/or performance in wind and rain at some sacrifice of convenience. Shady Boy, Bus Depot, and Batwing come to mind. I’d lean toward the Canadian-made Shady Boy myself if I were starting from scratch, because it’s better in wind and rain, and the arched poles will clear the swing-out entry door on my Chevy RT better than the fold-out rafters on a case awning.

You can also buy a freestanding awning for a fraction of the price of a factory-style case awning. One advantage is you can set it up anywhere in a campsite you want- over a picnic table, in a shady grove of trees, close to a stream or lake, or behind the camper for privacy. Some have screen and/or wind panels, depending on your climate. There's the familiar EZ-Up style (with countless knock-offs), as well as the self-folding, screened Clam style (also with a number of knock-offs). Costco was recently offering a Clam clone for $199; don't know if it's still available. Disadvantage is they take up space when you're traveling.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome

There are plenty forum members in BC and in Canada

We rarely use our awning- we most often try to camp/park in a shady spot

On the few occasions where we've had little shade, like at the beach, the wind restricts awning use

There are a couple of threads asking about adding an awning and the structural concerns, you could read up.

If I didn;t have an awning, I do have an ez up, and I might throw that in the van- much less expensive option.

We have a fiamma F45 ( manual) and my best source when shopping for parts is gowesty.com

enjoy your new van- the technology used is common to many thousands of vans.
manuals for most equipment is available online- the fridge is a common area of concern, easily adjusted to get the best out of it.

Being in BC, you'll want to look for any interior sign of water leaks through the roof - a Dicor ( or similar) sealant can fix that

With any mechanical concerns, check forums for the van manufacturer ( that's a dodge?) as there

are millions of same model van out there, a wider knowledge base

to get a handle on the Rv systems, practice "camping" in the driveway where you have better access to internet help if needed and no time pressure. get comfy with how everything works

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Our van was ordered without a awning also. We ended up purchasing a portable awning from moonfab.com
billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #5

Thank you so much for all those suggestions! I'll definitely investigate. I'm really enjoying learning all about my new family member��
Old 04-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Bronze Member

"...must have pushed it..." Love that!!! We bought a 92 Popular with 80k miles. Thought the same thing. We picked it up in 2015. She's been from Wisconsin to Idaho and then Wisconsin to Maine. Plus a LOT of camping trips in between. You'll love your RT! They are the best!!
Kobieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobieta View Post
"...must have pushed it..." Love that!!! We bought a 92 Popular with 80k miles. Thought the same thing. We picked it up in 2015. She's been from Wisconsin to Idaho and then Wisconsin to Maine. Plus a LOT of camping trips in between. You'll love your RT! They are the best!!
Thank you! I'm having a great time in her and becoming quite proud of myself as I learn how to work all her complexities