Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 AM   #1

Default Lithium battery question ❄️

Hello!
We are just getting ready to head south west from W.N.Y. 🌨PW Plateau TS 2017
At what temperature should the lithium battery be at before it is charged?
Thanks!
Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is considered a general guideline.
Some manufacturers might have different numbers.

Charging Batteries at High and Low Temperatures – Battery University
Old 03-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Technically above freezing at 32 degrees F. Some sources say 36 deg. Ideally for guaranteed long life above 41 degrees. Those are battery cell temperatures, not air temperatures.

Does the Pleasure-way give you a battery temperature readout? Does it have circuit protection to prevent charging batteries below freezing temperatures?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Default Lithium battery

Thank you. I’ll be checking into your suggestions. ❄️
Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Technically above freezing at 32 degrees F. Some sources say 36 deg. Ideally for guaranteed long life above 41 degrees. Those are battery cell temperatures, not air temperatures.

Does the Pleasure-way give you a battery temperature readout? Does it have circuit protection to prevent charging batteries below freezing temperatures?
The Pleasureway electrical profile perplexes me. Their lithium package includes two 100ah lithium batteries which puzzles me because you could install the equivalent ah capacity with 400ah of AGMs at less expense. Also, I've not found any mention in their literature of any battery management system at all. They do implement a 2000 watt Xantrex inverter which would shut down if a sufficiently low battery voltage was experienced but this is a long way from comprehensive battery management. And with a single alternator and regulator, how do you provide the proper charging protocol for both the lithium coach batteries and the lead acid engine battery?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The Pleasureway electrical profile perplexes me. Their lithium package includes two 100ah lithium batteries which puzzles me because you could install the equivalent ah capacity with 400ah of AGMs at less expense. Also, I've not found any mention in their literature of any battery management system at all. They do implement a 2000 watt Xantrex inverter which would shut down if a sufficiently low battery voltage was experienced but this is a long way from comprehensive battery management. And with a single alternator and regulator, how do you provide the proper charging protocol for both the lithium coach batteries and the lead acid engine battery?
If they are using the same systems as they did when we talked to them at a show a couple of years ago, they are essentially using plain old lithium drop in batteries like Smart battery, Stark, Battleborn, etc sell that have a built in BMS with things like over/under voltage and temp built into them. I don't recall who was making them for Pleasure-way. Progressive Dynamics lithium full shut shutoff charger and normal charging from the engine using a separator. Very similar to an AGM system with a charger change, and like the normal systems in many of the other class b's, only with lithium batteries.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Pleasureway makes great cabinetry and very good fit-and-finish, but they are not particularly technologically adventurous.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The system sounds fairly simple and inexpensive, something anyone could do. What's the downside?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Pleasureway makes great cabinetry and very good fit-and-finish, but they are not particularly technologically adventurous.
Yep, and as they still probably don't have any heaters for the batteries or long term storage requirements listed, like taking out the batteries if it gets really cold in storage, they will be a good testing ground for the temperature tolerance questions. They will also give a good comparison for battery life when compared to high end systems like ARV, home built ones, and the Roadtrek in house system. I am afraid a lot of folks are going to be unpleasantly surprised with some of the cold weather stuff, but at least the batteries are inside the van.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If they are using the same systems as they did when we talked to them at a show a couple of years ago, they are essentially using plain old lithium drop in batteries like Smart battery, Stark, Battleborn, etc sell that have a built in BMS with things like over/under voltage and temp built into them. I don't recall who was making them for Pleasure-way. Progressive Dynamics lithium full shut shutoff charger and normal charging from the engine using a separator. Very similar to an AGM system with a charger change, and like the normal systems in many of the other class b's, only with lithium batteries.
Shutting off the battery is easy. Bringing it out of its coma is more complicated. Maybe they do have a comprehensive BMS but don't mention it because they are reluctant to alert the buyer that these batteries require some TLC in order to prevent them from failing. I guess a call to PW would provide the answer.

When using a separator, the Progressive charger produces the opposite problem from the alternator. The OEM alternator produces a single state charging profile that may suit the engine lead acid battery but not the lithium coach batteries. The PD lithium charger and (presumably bi-directional) separator reverses the problem. The lithium batteries are properly charged but once the bi-directional separator combines, the engine battery is subjected to the lithium charging profile.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Which probably makes good business sense. Roadtrek apparently has the resources to survive their Etrek mishaps. By comparison, Pleasureway is a relatively small scale production company and a problem with serious electrical consequences could be ruinous for the company. It has to be a tough call because there is a murky dividing line between the prudent exercise of caution and the risk of falling way behind.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #12

No mishaps here. Charged and ready to go!
Thanks!