Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
You might get a better deal if you offer to finance it. Dealers like buyers to finance. They mark up the interest so can make another couple of points on the sale. It becomes a money maker like extra services(paint treatments, fabric protections, extended warranties). You can finance it for a better price and pay it off in a couple of months. Something to consider. Dealers really do not like cash anymore?
thank you. That's a good tip and one I will definitely consider.
YankinChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #22
Gold Member

Check https://travato.group/wp-content/upl...AQ-Guide-6.pdf and join their FB group, Travato Owners and Wannebees
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #23
Platinum Member

As we've been shopping, dealers have been quite confident about getting full MSRP for units that are either freshly on the lot or on their way in from the manufacturer. If you are willing to order a unit and wait for it, they are typically willing to give a bit more off sticker. If you find something that has, inexplicably, been on their lot for a while, they are usually offering those units at a discount vs. MSRP just to get them sold, and they may be a bit more receptive to negotiations.
It's a bit of an odd situation right now. At this moment demand for Class B units is so high that dealers are going for the brass ring on pricing. On the other hand, available inventory for Class B units is so low that they just aren't selling very many units overall. Their service departments, however, are overflowing with business. In some cases service revenue may be what keeps the lights on while they keep hoping and pressing for better availability of new units.

I am thinking, however, that alert patience may win the day. We may soon begin to see:
  • Fall and Winter are coming - fewer buyers in the market because kids are back in school (in person or virtual) and vacations that involve camping will be off the table until next year
  • More "pending" deals that fail to close due to economic realities.
  • More custom orders that become orphaned, same rationale as above.
I would love to be wrong on those last two, but I think it's coming.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As we've been shopping, dealers have been quite confident about getting full MSRP for units that are either freshly on the lot or on their way in from the manufacturer. If you are willing to order a unit and wait for it, they are typically willing to give a bit more off sticker. If you find something that has, inexplicably, been on their lot for a while, they are usually offering those units at a discount vs. MSRP just to get them sold, and they may be a bit more receptive to negotiations.
It's a bit of an odd situation right now. At this moment demand for Class B units is so high that dealers are going for the brass ring on pricing. On the other hand, available inventory for Class B units is so low that they just aren't selling very many units overall. Their service departments, however, are overflowing with business. In some cases service revenue may be what keeps the lights on while they keep hoping and pressing for better availability of new units.

I am thinking, however, that alert patience may win the day. We may soon begin to see:
  • Fall and Winter are coming - fewer buyers in the market because kids are back in school (in person or virtual) and vacations that involve camping will be off the table until next year
  • More "pending" deals that fail to close due to economic realities.
  • More custom orders that become orphaned, same rationale as above.
I would love to be wrong on those last two, but I think it's coming.
Thank you. I saw a new 2021 GL yesterday for $123k that just arrived on the lot. I hope you’re right that buyers will dry up and dealers will be more eager to make a deal. I have time so I’ll wait a bit.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
Check https://travato.group/wp-content/upl...AQ-Guide-6.pdf and join their FB group, Travato Owners and Wannebees
Thank you. I’ve joined the FB group and will look into the guide you referenced.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:25 AM   #26
Silver Member

It will indeed be interesting how the market shakes out over the next 6-8 months.

Class B inventory is super low as many or most units are selling before even hitting the lot. So, prospective buyers have a few choices:

1. buy new now and pay a relative premium
2. buy used now and pay a relative premium
3. custom order now, wait 6-7 months and get a relative deal of 10+% off msrp
4. wait and see

If fears of covid persist, that might keep demand high.

If the economy negatively impacts custom order buyers who currently have $100,000+ of purchasing power, that could create a market of abandoned factory ordered units. Otherwise, I think these buyers are largely motivated and committed as they are willing to wait and take possession during the winter.

If most buyers who put in factory orders fulfill their contracts, then we might see a more pronounced shortage of units on the lots as factories are currently fulfilling custom orders rather than generic lot orders. That could keep lot supply down and prices up.

Of course, a combination of these factors could materialize along with other factors. For example, will all the crowding and difficulty of getting a spot at campgrounds turn people off from the RV lifestyle (ie. Nobody goes there any more, it’s too crowded)? Will we see a mild winter? Etc.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
It will indeed be interesting how the market shakes out over the next 6-8 months.

Class B inventory is super low as many or most units are selling before even hitting the lot. So, prospective buyers have a few choices:

1. buy new now and pay a relative premium
2. buy used now and pay a relative premium
3. custom order now, wait 6-7 months and get a relative deal of 10+% off msrp
4. wait and see

If fears of covid persist, that might keep demand high.

If the economy negatively impacts custom order buyers who currently have $100,000+ of purchasing power, that could create a market of abandoned factory ordered units. Otherwise, I think these buyers are largely motivated and committed as they are willing to wait and take possession during the winter.

If most buyers who put in factory orders fulfill their contracts, then we might see a more pronounced shortage of units on the lots as factories are currently fulfilling custom orders rather than generic lot orders. That could keep lot supply down and prices up.

Of course, a combination of these factors could materialize along with other factors. For example, will all the crowding and difficulty of getting a spot at campgrounds turn people off from the RV lifestyle (ie. Nobody goes there any more, it’s too crowded)? Will we see a mild winter? Etc.
Thank you. Very insightful. I must wait to purchase and I will be watching the market closely. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #28
Bronze Member

My wife and I got pretty lucky. We're in Michigan and Michigan is completely wiped out of class b's. So I was searching nationwide. Still didn't find much and evertime I did I would go to the dealers site and it would say "deal pending" or "sold". Yet somehow I managed to track down a brand new 2020 Midwest Automotive Design - Legend FSL (exact same as the Fleetwood IROK) in South Dakota. Got a great price...but then I started to balk a little when the price to fly out there was a little high. The dealer said they would cover the flight...so I'm heading there next week to pick it up! In case you're wondering, we love the layout and the fit and finish of the Legend / IROK. I can tell you we got it for under 90k.
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #29
Platinum Member

This is the biggest seller’s market we’ve ever seen. We had some friends sell their B a few days ago and they recouped every dime they spent on purchase plus their upgrades / cost of fixes. They essentially enjoyed a 6-figure van for about four years for nothing more than the annual cost of its insurance.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Someone I know in New Jersey had a '2011 Airstream Avenue Suite (like mine). After driving it 50,000 miles over 3 years, he decided to sell it last week.

He asked $65,000 ($10,000 more than he paid for it). He told me he had a ton of interest and within days someone wired him full asking price sight-unseen, then drove across state to pick it up.

Based on how things went, he said he thinks he could have gotten more for it. Crazy times!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
My wife and I got pretty lucky. We're in Michigan and Michigan is completely wiped out of class b's. So I was searching nationwide. Still didn't find much and evertime I did I would go to the dealers site and it would say "deal pending" or "sold". Yet somehow I managed to track down a brand new 2020 Midwest Automotive Design - Legend FSL (exact same as the Fleetwood IROK) in South Dakota. Got a great price...but then I started to balk a little when the price to fly out there was a little high. The dealer said they would cover the flight...so I'm heading there next week to pick it up! In case you're wondering, we love the layout and the fit and finish of the Legend / IROK. I can tell you we got it for under 90k.
Congratulations and thank you
Old 09-05-2020, 04:02 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Someone I know in New Jersey had a '2011 Airstream Avenue Suite (like mine). After driving it 50,000 miles over 3 years, he decided to sell it last week.

He asked $65,000 ($10,000 more than he paid for it). He told me he had a ton of interest and within days someone wired him full asking price sight-unseen, then drove across state to pick it up.

Based on how things went, he said he thinks he could have gotten more for it. Crazy times!
Unreal! Thank you.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Some, like Virginia, have both sales and personal property. Politicians love taxpayers: the gift that keeps on giving.
VA sure does....it is ouch year after year!

Tags
class b van, purchase price