Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 03:10 AM   #1

Question Need advice negotiating price on a Class B Van

I am seriously looking for a Winnebago Travato GL. The prices I'm seeing vary significantly for new and used. I understand that may be because of options (new), mileage and condition (used). My budget is about $120K. I have my own financing but would consider seller financing if there is an advantage.
I would like advice on how to negotiate in the current market because inventory is scarce and demand is high it seems. Is it a seller's market? Do I aim for 30% less than MSRP as I've heard? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
YankinChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

it's crazy market

I bought mine used from the owner during a normal market

In AZ private party sales are not taxed, so a 9.5% savings over a dealer

My seller's ad ran for months and started way stupid high and gradually came down to almost reasonable

and that's when I called.

We negotiated and both went away happy, a cash purchase.

We spent months looking at as many B's as we could to figure out what features held value for us- there is not substitute for being in the space and trying to move around

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

MKGUITAR - Thank you so very much. I did not know sales tax on private party sales can differ from retail sales tax. That is great info and I'll be checking state to state now. I will use your valuable input. Thank you again
Old 08-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Depends on the state and their tax laws and of course how sales get recorded. I think in Minnesota selling a vehicle privately that the buyer has to pay the sales tax directly to the state in able to transfer the title and get a license plate. Same with out of state buys. I had to pay Minnesota the state sales tax for my ARV bought in Willoughby, OH in order to plate it. ARV did not collect the sales tax.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankinChino View Post
MKGUITAR - Thank you so very much. I did not know sales tax on private party sales can differ from retail sales tax.

AZ tax is pretty unique to AZ

You may be subject to CA state regs if you intend to register there

(many motorhomes are registered in montana to an LLC- no sales tax there on NEW RV's or motorcycles)

also CA requires CA emissions- you CAN bring a used "Non-CA emissions" vehicle from out of state but it has to be "used" something like 7500 miles on it ( you have to check, I am no longer current on the CA regs)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Pre covid I saw GLs for $123K at some of the mega sellers in Florida. I'd see them for $20K more at smaller dealers. I think you can get it for just under $120K, perhaps $110K. Remember the Volta system in there is $25K. Also, if you are a CA resident, doesn't matter if you purchase in AZ, you'll pay the CA sales tax when you register it in CA. You'll also have to get it smogged even though it's a brand new 50 state emissions vehicle.
JLO11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:05 AM   #7

Default thank you Davydd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Depends on the state and their tax laws and of course how sales get recorded. I think in Minnesota selling a vehicle privately that the buyer has to pay the sales tax directly to the state in able to transfer the title and get a license plate. Same with out of state buys. I had to pay Minnesota the state sales tax for my ARV bought in Willoughby, OH in order to plate it. ARV did not collect the sales tax.
I appreciate the help.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO11111 View Post
Pre covid I saw GLs for $123K at some of the mega sellers in Florida. I'd see them for $20K more at smaller dealers. I think you can get it for just under $120K, perhaps $110K. Remember the Volta system in there is $25K. Also, if you are a CA resident, doesn't matter if you purchase in AZ, you'll pay the CA sales tax when you register it in CA. You'll also have to get it smogged even though it's a brand new 50 state emissions vehicle.
Thank you JLO11111. I appreciate the help. I've heard that some states have no sales tax. Any idea how to take advantage of that?
Old 08-27-2020, 03:41 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you JLO11111. I appreciate the help. I've heard that some states have no sales tax. Any idea how to take advantage of that?
You'll have to move to one of those states. Or form an LLC in MT, though there are hoops to jump through and Cali is very aggressive in looking at sham situations.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Some states that don't have sales tax have personal property tax instead, so you get to pay EVERY year, rather than just when you purchase the vehicle.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Some states that don't have sales tax have personal property tax instead, so you get to pay EVERY year, rather than just when you purchase the vehicle.
Some, like Virginia, have both sales and personal property. Politicians love taxpayers: the gift that keeps on giving.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Some, like Virginia, have both sales and personal property. Politicians love taxpayers: the gift that keeps on giving.
thanks for the warning lol
Old 08-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Thank you. I didn't know that. That is horrible.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
You'll have to move to one of those states. Or form an LLC in MT, though there are hoops to jump through and Cali is very aggressive in looking at sham situations.
thank you. Sounds complicated but I will look into it.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I’m pretty sure no one pays list price. Our 2020 59K “listed” for $126. The final purchase price was in the low 90s. We live in Delaware, but bought it in NJ, since there are no Winnebago dealers here that sell class B’s. It came with the Ladder, roof rack, and bike rack. Those combined were close to $2700! I didn’t want or need them, but that’s how the unit was ordered. I think if you ordered one now, I doubt you would get it by the end of the year. As most people know, Class B’s are on fire, regardless of manufacturer.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am seriously looking for a Winnebago Travato GL. The prices I'm seeing vary significantly for new and used. I understand that may be because of options (new), mileage and condition (used). My budget is about $120K. I have my own financing but would consider seller financing if there is an advantage.
I would like advice on how to negotiate in the current market because inventory is scarce and demand is high it seems. Is it a seller's market? Do I aim for 30% less than MSRP as I've heard? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
When demand is high there is very little negotiation on the Seller's side.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
You might get a better deal if you offer to finance it. Dealers like buyers to finance. They mark up the interest so can make another couple of points on the sale. It becomes a money maker like extra services(paint treatments, fabric protections, extended warranties). You can finance it for a better price and pay it off in a couple of months. Something to consider. Dealers really do not like cash anymore?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
I’m pretty sure no one pays list price. Our 2020 59K “listed” for $126. The final purchase price was in the low 90s. We live in Delaware, but bought it in NJ, since there are no Winnebago dealers here that sell class B’s. It came with the Ladder, roof rack, and bike rack. Those combined were close to $2700! I didn’t want or need them, but that’s how the unit was ordered. I think if you ordered one now, I doubt you would get it by the end of the year. As most people know, Class B’s are on fire, regardless of manufacturer.
The OP wants the GL. This includes the roughly 20K+ volta system and a bunch of other stuff that the base G does not have. I think best the OP can do on a GL will be in the 110K range.
JLO11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
Thank you. You're right, there is little stock on lots. I can't find a Travato G anywhere. Fortuantely I am not in a hurry. Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLO11111 View Post
The OP wants the GL. This includes the roughly 20K+ volta system and a bunch of other stuff that the base G does not have. I think best the OP can do on a GL will be in the 110K range.
thank you. If I can find one I think I will be very lucky to get one in the $110 range. Wish me luck.

Tags
class b van, purchase price