Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default New couple

New Pleasureway Lexor FL. We'll be taking our maiden overnight trip to Acadia Nat'l Park this week.

The chassis for the Lexor is the Promaster and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Landed Gear spare tire mount for the rear door. Right or left door mount.

I'll also ask this question in the modification forum

Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
New Pleasureway Lexor FL. We'll be taking our maiden overnight trip to Acadia Nat'l Park this week.

The chassis for the Lexor is the Promaster and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Landed Gear spare tire mount for the rear door. Right or left door mount.

I'll also ask this question in the modification forum

Welcome to the forum!

Be careful mounting such weight to the rear doors. Most manufacturers advise against it, but that doesn't mean outfitters don't sell them.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

Welcome to the forum!

Be careful mounting such weight to the rear doors. Most manufacturers advise against it, but that doesn't mean outfitters don't sell them.
I installed a Prime Design ladder to rear door on my 2013 Sprinter van for primary use of storing BBQ, chairs and 2 CuFt aluminum storage box. I estimate total load of about 75 lbs. I searched for manufacturers restriction but found none (http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...lines_2016.pdf), searched for rear door van storage failure before making this decision but found none.

Some tire mounts are mounted to frames bolted to hinges, so no load on doors, and some are mounted to door’s sheet metal. I would think if tire load on vans rear door is a real issue I would find something on internet, but I could be wrong.

I did found folks having difficulties with loading and unloading a spare tire from that height, it is heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02212.jpg (588.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03807.jpg (572.1 KB, 7 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Silver Member

"Be careful mounting such weight to the rear doors. Most manufacturers advise against it, but that doesn't mean outfitters don't sell them."

That's why I'm asking around. Learn from others' experience.

Having been around manufacturers, they will advise against anything that they aren't selling themselves. It is protection for them against liability and responsibility.

IIRC correctly Ram advises against using their pickups for hauling truck campers. Given the number of grossly overweight TC that are seen on the roads, probably a good idea.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:15 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Be careful mounting such weight to the rear doors. Most manufacturers advise against it, but that doesn't mean outfitters don't sell them."

That's why I'm asking around. Learn from others' experience.

Having been around manufacturers, they will advise against anything that they aren't selling themselves. It is protection for them against liability and responsibility.

IIRC correctly Ram advises against using their pickups for hauling truck campers. Given the number of grossly overweight TC that are seen on the roads, probably a good idea.
Yeah, manufacturers are quick to disavow many uses of their vehicles. My '2005 Honda CRV has the spare on the rear door. Hinges don't look as beefy as on the Promaster rear doors. But of course, it does not articulate past 90 degrees like on the new vans.

My rv spare is sturdily mounted on the rear hitch, but has to dropped down to access the rear driver-side door. Would be great if it just swung with the door.

Ask the outfitter how their product avoids stressing the doors. If you don't like their answer, you can always walk away.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #6

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just purchase a 2019 Lexor FL and planning to do some cool mods to make space comparment and tire mount. When mounting to your back door you need to place a 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood board behind the door to help support this weight. Door panel is not beefy enough to suport tire mount. Just cut the wood larger then tire mount (make sure you use decent bolts with lock nuts and long enough). I have not done this yet, I working on making under chassis storage bin. Good Luck
PWDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I removed mine. It's a personal preference, but IMO, unless you're off the beaten path, I would roll the dice. Less weight off the back end, more stealth looking, about a foot less in length, and something about jacking up 10,000 pounds and putting on an old tire, make me nervous. Blast away those who disagree. 09 Chevy Lexor TS
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

Try this place

Aluminess Products, Inc.
MBecnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Skip the spare

Get something like this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Slime-50123-F...6366297&sr=8-9.

If you have a problem that can't be fixed with the kit, call roadside assistance. The Promaster chassis is really, really not an offroad machine (even with knobby tires). You are not likely to get yourself too far off the beaten path to call for help if you need it.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Check out "Landed Gear" brand spare tire mount. It's the go to one that the Travato crowd uses. No issues have been mentioned except they are sometimes hard to get because they can't keep up with sales.
Most install on the driver's side door because it gets opened less. And yes, they also have a license plate relocation mount available.
They also do installs, if wanted at their headquarters in So. California. And they have other accessories that they sell and install too
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:21 AM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I removed mine. It's a personal preference, but IMO, unless you're off the beaten path, I would roll the dice. Less weight off the back end, more stealth looking, about a foot less in length, and something about jacking up 10,000 pounds and putting on an old tire, make me nervous. Blast away those who disagree. 09 Chevy Lexor TS
We rolled the dice once on being w/o a spare. Somewhere between Mandan, ND and no where, at dusk on a Saturday evening we ran over a broken off 1" diameter bolt that destroyed a tire. Fortunately we weren't far from a town. Unfortunately there were no tires available to fit that vehicle and it took till Tuesday for one to arrive.

If it is a simple puncture, I can plug the tire on the side of the road, pump it up and keep going, but not when it is shredded.

@MBecnel: Came across the Aluminess and that is an option, though it is twice as expensive as the Landed Gear.

@jakegw2: see my response to ChicagoTom
Old 07-20-2021, 03:52 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
We rolled the dice once on being w/o a spare. Somewhere between Mandan, ND and no where, at dusk on a Saturday evening we ran over a broken off 1" diameter bolt that destroyed a tire. Fortunately we weren't far from a town. Unfortunately there were no tires available to fit that vehicle and it took till Tuesday for one to arrive.

If it is a simple puncture, I can plug the tire on the side of the road, pump it up and keep going, but not when it is shredded.

@MBecnel: Came across the Aluminess and that is an option, though it is twice as expensive as the Landed Gear.

@jakegw2: see my response to ChicagoTom
Wow, sorry to hear of your destroyed tire.

The same thing would probably happen to me if I ever removed my spare, so I keep it, even though I've not needed one in over 40 yrs.

Glad you were near a town and are back on the road.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Wow, sorry to hear of your destroyed tire.

The same thing would probably happen to me if I ever removed my spare, so I keep it, even though I've not needed one in over 40 yrs.

Glad you were near a town and are back on the road.
Our adventure on the high plains happened about 25 years ago. We were returning from a 3 week trip to Glacier, Banff and Jasper and needed to be back to work on Monday, we lived in Mpls at the time. Beyond the additional expense for the tire and hotel/meals, we lost 3 days pay as we had used up our vacation. Like all travel disasters where no one gets hurt, it makes for good stories.

If I'm just puttering around the Northeast, I can survive with an aerosol tire repair and a compressor, but since the recommendation with those products is to repair/replace the tire within 100 miles, I'd rather plug the tire and continue on.

Given we have plans for traveling in the west again and it can be a long way between towns with services, I'd just as soon have a spare. Plus we intend on traveling to Newfoundland and across the Trans-Labrador Highway. While the Trans-Lab is mostly paved now, it still a lonely place with a long way between services.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:15 PM   #14

Default Hitch mount spare

I would recommend a hitch mount, and you won't have to worry about the door supporting it. Also, REI (and others) sells a swing-away that fits in your hitch mount and has its own hitch mount. Install the swing-away in your hitch receiver, then the hitch mount tire carrier in the swing-away. That way you can open the door without removing the tire. When using this I always swing the tire away before retiring at night, so I can still use the back door as an emergency exit.
SeabeckStan is offline   Reply With Quote