Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default New from Florida

Hi .. live in Florida ... Looking to buy first class b leaning toward travato ... Easy to drive ... I am a total newbie gal .. so any guidance will. Be appreciated... Also if you come across a great little class b let me know... Thanks all
Flgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hiya. Welcome aboard.

I'm old from FLA and we live NW of Orlando. Your general location? FLA is not a small state.

Do some reading around here to get an idea of what you may want for equipment depending on how you are going to use it. We use ours for extensive boondocking, rarely staying in an RV park but spend some time at USFS, Army Corps, and national parks, some time at unofficial sites and a bit of driveway camping and have equipped our older Roadtrek to work well with all that.

Skol!
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
Bronze Member

thanks ... I am over on central east coast side of Florida, the space coast ... yep driveway camping ... state parks ... also want to do the other side of USA the national parks and would love to go to Alaska ..
Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

My wife and I are considering selling our 2017 Travato 59K. We are in Tampa.
Feel free to email me at wwwpetem@yahoo.com for details
pmulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulin View Post
My wife and I are considering selling our 2017 Travato 59K. We are in Tampa.
Feel free to email me at wwwpetem@yahoo.com for details
thank you ... just sent you an email ...
Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #6

Default One year RV veteran

I bought a 2005 Pleasureway Plateau XL last year. Spent the winter camping from Georgia to Alabama, Mississipi, Texas, New Mexico, Utah and then back through the northern m9st States. The Pleasureway was big enough for my solo camping and the few weeks here and there that a friend joined me. Built on the Mercedes Sprinter platform with a diesel engine I averaged 23 mpg. Easy to get around, fits nicely in Wal-Mart parking spaces. Did a combo of state parks, Army Corp, National Parks and boondocking. Loved it. Hope you will too.

Camped through Alaska and Northwest Canada in 2014 in a tent and decided I was getting too old for that ...needed a real bed. The Class would have been great for that trip

Good luck..and happy holidays
VTGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #7

We just went through the "buying experience" recently, so here are my tips:
1. Decide on what your budget is. You may need to consider a pre-owned unit. If you can afford a new coach you will be better off due to warranty, etc.
2. Write down how you plan to use the motorhome (mostly RV parks with hookups, mostly boondocking, mostly mobile - new destination daily, how many people, pets, etc.
3. Make a list of features you think you want before you start looking at what's available, what are your typical preferences for wide open floorpan versus closed off, do you need to tow, gas vs. diesel, generator vs. 2nd alternator, sleeping arrangement, bathroom arrangement, battery capacity, solar, tv, etc. The list goes on and on.
4. Use the internet to browse the available offerings, Pleasureway, Roadtrek, Winnebago, Hymer, etc. Make a written comparison of the features each one offers and narrow your selection down to 3-4.
5. Join the Facebook groups for each of your top selections. You can ask questions and get the opinions of the users for each of the offerings. This is invaluable.
6. Find a dealer that has them on the floor and go look at them, test drive them, etc.
7. Then revise 1-3 above based on what you thought you wanted versus what you see. You may be surprised about how your views change.
8. Send out requests for quote on your top selection. If you decide to buy a used RV try to get some sort of warranty. For new units you should get somewhere close to 30% off MSRP. New RV sales are typically down in the winter so you may be able to get a really good deal. Don't necessarily limit yourself to local dealers. People buy all over the country on a regular basis.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you select.
Rico52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

My pleasure way plateau is on RVtrader, 2017, TS 11000 miles. Like new. Health issues motivate selling.
Frannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Hi ... thank you so much ... I want to do Alaska ... next time you are in FL drop me a note ... be nice to get together ... I just made reservations to do Tampa show in Jan .... m as the next yr I can do it in a rig ...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Thank you ... so much great advice... so what did you buy and why ....
Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I made hotel reservations for a couple of nites in Tampa .... for Jan.. show ... hope to meet some of you that are going ...
Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
CRS

If interested in a 2016 Pleasure Way Plateau TS email me at crsanders5@gmail.com
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #13

Nice. Not many class bs available unless you buy new and absorb large depreciation. Check my 2017 plateau ts available on r vtrader. Only 11000 miles, like new.
Frannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Flgal, in case you have not picked it up as you read the various forums, in general you can expect to pay about 30% under list price when buying new. Nothing against used because they will have any bugs shaken out, but you should not think that the manufacturers prices are anywhere near what you would need to pay at least on the Travato models (or my Era for that matter).
Old 12-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Default Options to W Travato

I was in same place and thought the WB Travato was the choice, then I found the Hymer Group and their Carado Line. There is the Banff on PM2500 at 19.5' and the Axion on PM1500 at 17.5'. Both have neat floor plans and large rear baths. The word is watch for quality of build, but that is true for all RV under $150K.

Pricing and options were the deciding factors, a fully loaded Banff with Lithium/GU Alternator / Solar was abour $30-35K less than Travato 59KL and being 2' shorter but still similar floor plan was a plus for driving and parking.

Check them out in person or on line and see what fits you best. If for one person the Axion is a great little rig at 17.5' and similar in options and build to the Banff.
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Some have told me some of the best prices have been gotten at the Tampa show because of competition ...
Old 12-15-2018, 03:00 AM   #17

I thought I was going to get a good price at the CA show in Pomona. Turned out I found a better price shopping online. Looked at Travato for 2 years. Loved the K lay out (minus the low, small fridge). Then realized I could get that lay out plus lithium and underhood generator for far less $ than the Travato....with a Carado Banff. And it fits in my driveway. Enjoy shopping!
DLandFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Yes ... that does have the same floor plan as the travato k .... so glad you found something you like at a great price.... thank you
Old 12-20-2018, 03:58 AM   #19

Great checklist of advice from Rico52. If you are thinking about doing a lot of camping, you may want to check out Class B+ models as well as Class B. I love my RoadTrek CS Adventurous, but I'm starting to look at the Leisure Travel B+ because I'm finding that I simply want more room. The Class B cannot be beat for driving and parking. I also love the fact when it states "no RV parking", I can park there. When it states "RV parking only", I can also park there.

In my recent Class B+ shopping (yesterday), I was surprised at how the interior feels more like you are in a traditional camper. The "+" part really makes a big difference inside. There are also many more floorplan options. In addition, I found driving a B+ feels the same as a B.

Best of luck and enjoy shopping!
Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard Flgal. FWIW, you might want to check out SunShine State RV, in Gainesville.....they are a quality dealer, and super service. They usually have a great inventory of B's. There is also another dealer in Nokomis, has a couple locations in the State, I used them when I had a place south Tampa.