Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Apologies, but, there's nothing simple about a Mercedes Benz Sprinter with the diesel engine....

I absolutely have a love hate relationship with my diesel.
It has great performance and mileage.... but, the rest of it is a PITA.

And, the maintenance schedule is really expensive....
No apologies necessary from you as I was not addressing you. As I remember you bought a Roadtrek Etrek which was extremely flawed from the old Roadtrek bankrupt company and was raving about it in this forum in the beginning. With your limited experience I've dismissed your opinions. I've had four diesel Mercedes Benz Sprinters and my only complaint is the service station diesel pump handles are greasy and dirty so you have to wear a glove most of the time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:36 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsteve View Post
... Looking forward to a little help in making a decision.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
Seasons Greetings Steve,
We have a 2012 Roadtrek 190/Ranger purchased in 2012. It sits over a 6.0 litre gas / 6 speed transmission / 3500 Chevy Express. We love it. Prior to buying, we asked my brother-in-law, a heavy truck repair and towing business owner, if we should buy diesel or gas. He asked where we would be going with the RV; part of the answer included remote boon docking in northern Canada and Alaska. He recommended we buy a gasoline powered unit, since getting a broken down European diesel motor serviced/repaired on site in remote areas could be difficult or not possible. And as MKGUITAR told you, almost everyone can repair a GM motor ... lol.
More food for thought ...one real risk with the camper portion of my rig is the non-availability of certain replacement parts; e.g. fibreglass side panels, which by the way the original company replaced after our encounter with an unavoidable road reconstruction obstacle during my 2015 Alaska trip.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
Seasons Greetings Steve,
We have a 2012 Roadtrek 190/Ranger purchased in 2012. It sits over a 6.0 litre gas / 6 speed transmission / 3500 Chevy Express. We love it. Prior to buying, we asked my brother-in-law, a heavy truck repair and towing business owner, if we should buy diesel or gas. He asked where we would be going with the RV; part of the answer included remote boon docking in northern Canada and Alaska. He recommended we buy a gasoline powered unit, since getting a broken down European diesel motor serviced/repaired on site in remote areas could be difficult or not possible. And as MKGUITAR told you, almost everyone can repair a GM motor ... lol.
More food for thought ...one real risk with the camper portion of my rig is the non-availability of certain replacement parts; e.g. fibreglass side panels, which by the way the original company replaced after our encounter with an unavoidable road reconstruction obstacle during my 2015 Alaska trip.
I don't think that there is any question that Sprinters are more difficult to get repaired, especially in out-of-the-way places. How severe an issue this is and whether their very real advantages outweigh this consideration is a topic of legitimate debate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:37 PM   #24
Silver Member

Find a nice clean Chinook made before 2005...great RV! And the Chinook forum has lots of great members too! Should be in the $25-35000 range. Good luck!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #26
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
No apologies necessary from you as I was not addressing you. As I remember you bought a Roadtrek Etrek which was extremely flawed from the old Roadtrek bankrupt company and was raving about it in this forum in the beginning. With your limited experience I've dismissed your opinions. I've had four diesel Mercedes Benz Sprinters and my only complaint is the service station diesel pump handles are greasy and dirty so you have to wear a glove most of the time.
That was a well written reply, to the point and with a funny ending. I also remember the raving, since Covid prices for used class b are high, maybe a good time to cash in for unhappy campers ?
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote