Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default New Guy

Hi all! Looking to maybe buy a Class B. Have had cab over campers, trailers and rented a Class C. Looking forward to a little help in making a decision.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
nvsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A lot depends on how you plan to use it- road travel or backcountry, campgrounds with hookups or off-grid, long trips or short, number of people and/or pets- as well as the all-important budget.

Once we know a bit more, I’m sure you’ll get some good recommendations.

Welcome, and best wishes in your search!
Old 12-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
Gold Member

I bought a 2006 190 popular Roadtrek. It is solid and has been almost trouble free in the 6 years that I've had it. Easy to maintain and the coach systems don't need a mechanical or electrical engineer to work on them.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #4

There is an American Cruiser for sale in Virginia. I am buying one in Minnesota. They're fully self contained, can sleep 3, and can fit in a normal parking space. Based off the Dodge 3500 chassis so heavy duty. In a private group American Cruiser Camper Vans, seller is Becky Fisher, $31,000
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Hi Steve,

the newer units are often diesel and may have spare parts supply lines reaching across oceans. some of them also have expensive and less flexible energy systems ( some have no propane or no generator)

I have a 2006 PleasureWay Lexor on a Chev 3500 chassis repairable anywhere by anyone with parts from any auto parts store

the advantages of a B are the MPG ( 15 ~16), ease of parking and ease of driving

have a fridge, 2 burner gas, gas hot water, toilet, shower ( and a 2nd wand outside), a tv, a genny, AC and a microwave. we also carry about 30G of water ( and tanks for waste water and toilet)

these features are fairly common to class B's

solar panels on the roof require the van to be parked in the sun so we have stayed away from that, we do have a small panel which I can put out and kick to follow the sun through the day
-we try to go where we don;t need ac, and to park in the shade

the AC and microwave require the genny running ( we have never actually used ours while camping) or shore power- plugged in at a campground or extension cord to your pal's home

Roadtreks are also popular- pre about 2014 the manufacturer was more dependable since then the company changed hands a few times.

the older units can be the 170 on Chev 2500 w 4.8 liter motor. The 190's will be on the 3500 with the 6.0 ( usually) the popular models usually sleep fore and aft, the versatile models sleep sideways ( I'm too tall for that) R/T's often have a drop floor section for more overhead space...I tripped on the transition when shopping and ruled that out

the best thing is to go look at units, new and used. the more you can look at the better "feel" you will have.

we looked at about 30 units and knew when we saw the right one- there are also plenty of youtube videos from dealers showing features- watch how easily ( or not) the sales person moves around inside the cabin

budget will be tough as the demand has been super-high with covid, so prices will be abnormally high
( I could sell mine for MORE than I paid in 2015)

sometimes it is a drag to break down camp to go somewhere- a disadvantage compared to a trailer.
For us, my pick-up was marginal and if we'd gone with a trailer I'd have had to buy a new truck which likely would have cost as much or more than we paid for the van

we find that we are good for about 6 days at a time- then need food, laundry, water and dump tanks, we also may be low on 12 volt house battery - a drive to town will fix that.
no sense in carrying more supplies or clothing than the water we have, as space is always at a preminum

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks to all of you. Have been looking for late model used. Most are asking about what they paid for them. I get it, supply, demand popularity. Ha!
Old 12-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Use Cases

What are your use cases? That really determines the kind of class b you should be looking for.

Boondocking or established campgrounds?
Adventure travel or gravel/paved roads?
# of sleepers and travelers?
Winter use, or 3 season?
OK with diesel, or gas only?
Do you live in a big city or a small town? (Availability of chassis service)
Big bed in the back and tiny bath, or bath in the back and a smaller sleeping area? In between?
Basic camper van or full-fledged motor home?

Thinking about all this and writing it down will help you narrow your search. Happy hunting!
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #8
Silver Member

We have a lot in common..... we have rented a Class C (it was too big for us) and we had had a Toyota Tundra with an Aventura cab over camper for 6 years. We sold the camper and started looking for a Class B van. Looked at used ones, looked at buying a Sprinter van and having a company do a build out, buy the sprinter and my husband do a build out himself (he is a home builder and has built a boat in the past) and then looked at newer options with interiors already done. Then we just couldn't find the right one for us. And then the Solis Ram/Winnebago came out with a new design. We bought a new Solis on a 2020 Ram with the Winnebago a 2021. We purchased it in August 2020 with delivery November 2020. We got it right on the cusp of the crazy prices. We bought the 59P, its 19ft 6inches with the pop top, Murphy bed design. We love it! There are 2 of us and a 65 pound golden doodle dog. We have traveled from California to Colorado and another trip from Cali to the San Juan Islands. And many short trips in between. I wish you all the best in your search and if you have any questions please ask.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:56 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificstar View Post
We have a lot in common..... we have rented a Class C (it was too big for us) and we had had a Toyota Tundra with an Aventura cab over camper for 6 years. We sold the camper and started looking for a Class B van. Looked at used ones, looked at buying a Sprinter van and having a company do a build out, buy the sprinter and my husband do a build out himself (he is a home builder and has built a boat in the past) and then looked at newer options with interiors already done. Then we just couldn't find the right one for us. And then the Solis Ram/Winnebago came out with a new design. We bought a new Solis on a 2020 Ram with the Winnebago a 2021. We purchased it in August 2020 with delivery November 2020. We got it right on the cusp of the crazy prices. We bought the 59P, its 19ft 6inches with the pop top, Murphy bed design. We love it! There are 2 of us and a 65 pound golden doodle dog. We have traveled from California to Colorado and another trip from Cali to the San Juan Islands. And many short trips in between. I wish you all the best in your search and if you have any questions please ask.
One more thing we have in common, golden doodle here also. A mini.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-27-2021, 03:47 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Yes, it all depends on how you use it...

Class B's excel at traveling from one destination to another with superior fuel economy, ease of parking, highly mobile and very spontaneous...... you can literally go anywhere anytime...

We keep ours plugged into shore power and parked right in front of the house.. it's like a big car ...

You just have to get used to the limited interior space which is why we take less stuff when we travel.
After having it for almost 5 years, I would offer the following advice if I were to do it over..

Buy a gasoline coach; they are easier to get serviced.
Anyone can work on them.

Solar panels are a great addition...we love our solar panels.

Try and get a rig without propane.. it's simpler. If you can get appliances running on 12 volt electric.... that's the best way to go... Skip the propane refrigerator... it's horrible.

I would consider a cassette toilet next time.

Simple is better..... don't go too fancy with a lot of heavy features....

Do not purchase a diesel engine rig.

Good luck...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

Anyone can work on them.

Good luck...
Uh oh. Back story in a new thread?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Class B's excel at traveling from one destination to another with superior fuel economy, ease of parking, highly mobile and very spontaneous...... you can literally go anywhere anytime...

We keep ours plugged into shore power and parked right in front of the house.. it's like a big car ...

You just have to get used to the limited interior space which is why we take less stuff when we travel.
After having it for almost 5 years, I would offer the following advice if I were to do it over..

Anyone can work on them.

Solar panels are a great addition...we love our solar panels.

Try and get a rig without propane.. it's simpler. If you can get appliances running on 12 volt electric.... that's the best way to go... Skip the propane refrigerator... it's horrible.

I would consider a cassette toilet next time.

Simple is better..... don't go too fancy with a lot of heavy features....

Good luck...
Thanks for your response. So far I agree with most if not all of what you posted.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:29 PM   #13
Silver Member

Well Steve, maybe you should look for a Solis. We kinda think a lot on lots of things. We love our Doodle! Just a thought.....we have a very informative and active group on Facebook called Winnebago Solis Owners and Wannabees. And if your in California we have a California Solis Community group as well. These folks are helpful, no politics just positive ideas. You can ask any questions and someone will be there to help. Both groups have helped us in many ways. A few of them do rent out their Solis's and that is a good introdiuction. We have 11,000 miles on ours with no trouble and we use it for long trips to day trips. Its our 2nd car. It fits in any parking spot and when we traveled on the Washington State Ferries we just paid the same as a truck fees because were under 20 ft.

Let us know what you decide and I hope you enjoy every minute of the adventure.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:48 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ferries we just paid the same as a truck fees because were under 20 ft.

some of us known to pull the spare off the back and put it inside for the boatride to save a few bucks

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:47 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Well Steve, maybe you should look for a Solis. We kinda think a lot on lots of things. We love our Doodle! Just a thought.....we have a very informative and active group on Facebook called Winnebago Solis Owners and Wannabees. And if your in California we have a California Solis Community group as well. These folks are helpful, no politics just positive ideas. You can ask any questions and someone will be there to help. Both groups have helped us in many ways. A few of them do rent out their Solis's and that is a good introdiuction. We have 11,000 miles on ours with no trouble and we use it for long trips to day trips. Its our 2nd car. It fits in any parking spot and when we traveled on the Washington State Ferries we just paid the same as a truck fees because were under 20 ft.

Let us know what you decide and I hope you enjoy every minute of the adventure.
Thanks for the reply. So far have been looking at Pleasure Way, Winnebago and Coachmen. Will check out the site you mentioned.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Simple is better..... don't go too fancy with a lot of heavy features...
This is the key. Keep it small, simple, easy and inexpensive to maintain, free to go nearly anywhere. We went from a 19' to a 17'. Interior layout is everything - there is more open space and light in our smaller van. "Less is more"
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
This is the key. Keep it small, simple, easy and inexpensive to maintain, free to go nearly anywhere. We went from a 19' to a 17'. Interior layout is everything - there is more open space and light in our smaller van. "Less is more"
Hey! You are stilling my schtick.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...van-12216.html
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Thanks, will keep that in mind.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Default David- Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Apologies, but, there's nothing simple about a Mercedes Benz Sprinter with the diesel engine....

I absolutely have a love hate relationship with my diesel.
It has great performance and mileage.... but, the rest of it is a PITA.

And, the maintenance schedule is really expensive....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:09 AM   #20
Silver Member

welcome from the Pacific Northwest!!