Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New guy looking & researching

New member here. We’ve had 3 diesel coaches, 2 Newells and 1 Foretravel, and this summer sold the FT to buy a cabin in Colorado. It’s 1300 miles to the cabin so I’m thinking of buying a Class B for the drive back and forth and a few short trips. I don’t want new and am thinking of an early 2000’s on either Ford, Dodge, or Chevy chassis. Not really interested in Mercedes since I would like a higher towing capacity but for the right price I’d consider either MB, Ram, or Ford Transit. The somewhat better mileage with the MB would probably be offset by higher maintenance costs.
Also the beds are a particular concern. We don’t want to crawl over each other or crawl out of bed so I’m thinking a twin bed setup would be ideal. NOT a jackknife sofa been there, done that, have the backache. I might be willing to remove a jackknife sofa and build a platform for a real mattress and buy cushions for the back. A dinette would probably be ok for my DW possibly with a memory foam topper. Since our trips will be multi day the shower will have to be large enough, no problem taking a navy shower but need room to reach everything. Cooking is not necessary, really just need a microwave and I can add an inverter.
Since it’s 1300 miles each way I would like to drive 70mph.
Don’t want a slide. 4x4 or FWD would be nice since the road up to our cabin is 5 miles of dirt road that is plowed in the winter. Or maybe just chains? We plan to spend February at the cabin each year.
Either way I’m starting my research now so if a good price pops up I’ll know whether it’ll work or not.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are many designs where you sleep crosswise and climb over a partner in Ram and Transits because they are wider enabling to do so. Sprinters usually have to have window flairs to achieve that. But you don’t want that solution and I agree with you.

Many Class B RV’s have fold out sofa beds in the back that you can sleep long way but you would have to crawl into bed. I have had two Class B’s that way. I could manage climbing in but didn’t like the scoot out.

The first option I liked was a fixed bed but a notch to get in and that was the Winnebago Era. I put that one in the back of my mind when I bought an Advanced RV which I custom designed the beds. It was a twin bed set-up with the notch aspect so the upper torsos could be together. The beds I conceived were electric articulating beds with individual foot, torso and neck adjustments—a Lazy-boy or zero gravity chair option for reading, lounging or watching TV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B824E1FA-8992-4210-B362-6E66EE178DD6.jpg (150.0 KB, 19 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you determined your needs and you'll know the right unit when you see it

when you see a unit of interest, watch youtube sales videos and note how easily (or not), the usually large salesperson moves around as they demonstrate the features

we have a pleasure way lexor TD ( twins cum king) on a 2005 chev. we get about 15 mpg at 65~70. easy to drive and park, we team drive distances.

tow capacity is 5000/500 6.0 3spd w OD.

our shower is an aisle shower- we don't use it, we find we are usually in a campground and use theirs, or in the boonies and use the common outdoor shower wand.

our beds are 78" pass side, 84" driver side. the bolsters can fill in the aisle to make a king( ish)

our van has just the 2 swivel seats up front

the similar roadtrek 190 popular model has a drop center floor section if you are taller than about 6'1" and often has more seating- it may als have more cabinetry overhanging beds
(R/T versatile models are sideway sleepers)

with both of these clearance could be an issue in deep snow, you may need a lift kit

both of these would have propane 2 burner and a onan genny for microwave when needed

they come with tabletops on masts rather than a dinette- we don;t use and use trays on laps or campground picnic table

-space is tight the unused stuff is stored at home

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Davydd I like what you did.
MKguitar your PW TD sounds like what I'm looking for. My DW and I will definitely be using the shower on our trips to the cabin. We're lifetime members of Harvest Hosts and plan to use them as overnight stops rather than campgrounds where we can. The aisle shower may work out better than an enclosed wet bath. I'm impressed with your mpg's. That's better than I was expecting. My Lexus GX470 only gets 16 on the highway, but that's at 80mph. Driving on snow plowed roads is optional since we only go up for a month in the winter.
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Davydd I like what you did.
MKguitar your PW TD sounds like what I'm looking for. My DW and I will definitely be using the shower on our trips to the cabin. We're lifetime members of Harvest Hosts and plan to use them as overnight stops rather than campgrounds where we can. The aisle shower may work out better than an enclosed wet bath. I'm impressed with your mpg's. That's better than I was expecting. My Lexus GX470 only gets 16 on the highway, but that's at 80mph. Driving on snow plowed roads is optional since we only go up for a month in the winter.
Thanks!

Since you are OK with an aisle shower, you could also get a Roadtrek 190 which is very similar to the TD and on the same chassis. A little harder to find an aisle shower in the post 2010 years, but worth looking for as it comes with a 6 speed transmission which is much superior to the 4 speed one in previous years. Tows way better, stays cooler, and gets better mileage.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
MKguitar your PW TD sounds like what I'm looking for.

here's a video of a unit very similar to our 2006
( most RV's are on a previous model year chassis- so our 2006 is on a 2005 chev- this 2005 model is likely on a 2004 chev

chevy: fixed anywhere, by anyone, with parts from napa

at the beginning a roadtrek model is parked to the left- r/t's have 3 windows up top, easy to spot.
Older R/T's have a very good standing- I found the drop floor a trip hazard- because I am stupid-

but my real bugaboo was I found the cabinetry overhanging to be claustrophobic.

I do believe my ground clearance stock is higher than an R/T

we looked at about 30 units before finding "the one" and we knew right away

I like the airy feeling of the PW, and the galley facing the open door at a campsite

we turned the cabinet behind the driver's seat into a pantry adding shelves and a sliding basket for pots and pans

shower you can see how a pan sits in the aisle and lines up with a drain fitting. the common dometic water heater is under the driver side bed and works really well, quick to heat.
electrics under the pass bed

he says propane genny, mine is fed from the gasoline tank.
have never actually used it camping the other AC dependent are the microwave ( we use to store plates and bowls) and air conditioning- we try to go where we don't need

we are very happy with ours

Mike
Old 12-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

So as I'm still in the research phase it looks like prices may be starting to stabilize. Or maybe it's just the winter drop?
We did look at a new Travato with twin beds. Mainly to see if my DW would approve of the size and floor layout. She did, just didn't like the $100k price....
Did see a 2001 Roadtrek 200 Versatile pop up on Facebook marketplace at $8700 and marked as pending a couple hours later. Too bad it didn't have the twin beds we want.
I'm thinking of a 2000+ model but wondering if the maintenance is good on a pre-2000 model how old should I consider? IOW what are the improvements on model years from mid-1990's to mid 2000's?
I'm still thinking of my budget being in the $20's.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

in general an R/T Versatile sleeps sideways, a Popular sleeps fore and aft

if you are tall. a sideways sleeper and a climb over to use the can can be a non-starter

a versatile may have 4 seats, which means either less cabinetry, or more crowded with cabinets overhanging

R/T had ownership challenges, changes and bankruptcy around 2014- I would be careful with anything more recent.

discovered sins included falsified safety certs, problematic battery systems and recalls.

some incomplete models may have been bought out of bankruptcy and finished by dealers

the 210 models may be marginal on gvwr reserve and more challenged on the suspension with weight high and wide.
examine for signs of leaks/rust at the steel to fiberglass joints & tops of rear doors.

these are things I noted when we were shopping

mike
Old 12-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
R/T had ownership challenges, changes and bankruptcy around 2014- I would be careful with anything more recent.

discovered sins included falsified safety certs, problematic battery systems and recalls.
The Roadtrek bankruptcy didn't occur until 2020. The current Roadtrek is a different company using some of the same designs for sprinter models, but the popular and versatile have been dropped entirely. Getting parts for those models may be a continuing challenge.

The problematic battery systems are mostly related to the lithium battery systems the old Roadtrek introduced to provide high battery capacity without the weight issues from large AGM battery banks. Those problems are entirely limited to the later sprinter models - post 2015. As far as I know, they were never offered on the popular and versatile models.

So if you are looking at those models no electrical problems. No recalls, false safety certs either. And there are plenty of other Roadtrek's that were not effected by any of those issues either. You need to evaluate the unit you are buying. We bought a used 2015 Roadtrek based on almost universal encouragement from Roadtrek owners we talked to in campgrounds. The biggest impact from the bankruptcy has been the loss of warranty and a reduced service network.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:24 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
The Roadtrek bankruptcy didn't occur until 2020. The current Roadtrek is a different company using some of the same designs for sprinter models, but the popular and versatile have been dropped entirely. Getting parts for those models may be a continuing challenge.

The problematic battery systems are mostly related to the lithium battery systems the old Roadtrek introduced to provide high battery capacity without the weight issues from large AGM battery banks. Those problems are entirely limited to the later sprinter models - post 2015. As far as I know, they were never offered on the popular and versatile models.

So if you are looking at those models no electrical problems. No recalls, false safety certs either. And there are plenty of other Roadtrek's that were not effected by any of those issues either. You need to evaluate the unit you are buying. We bought a used 2015 Roadtrek based on almost universal encouragement from Roadtrek owners we talked to in campgrounds. The biggest impact from the bankruptcy has been the loss of warranty and a reduced service network.
Actually they completely shut down in Feb. 2019. In 2020 Rapido relaunched the brand after purchasing the name and assets.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Did the new Roadtrek continue that godawful lithium ion battery Etrek system?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Actually they completely shut down in Feb. 2019. In 2020 Rapido relaunched the brand after purchasing the name and assets.
I knew I should look that up.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

After a month or so of searching and thinking we've narrowed it down to either a Roadtrek 210 Chevy or a PleasureWay Excel, not sure which ones will be on a Chevy. And rather twins but power sofa is ok if we can sleep front/rear. NOT sideways crawl over.
We've refined our budget to mid $30's for a 2004-2009 and mid $50's for a 2010+ Chevy with 6 speed tranny. Somewhat flexible for an exceptionally clean lower mileage unit.
We'll also consider a RT 190 or PW Lexor on Chevy chassis but we do want the enclosed bath. One thing is our HOA might allow one with the "hidden" AC but probably won't allow a Sprinter with the visible AC. I do have a family place to park it but it's 20 miles away so won't be able to use it as frequently.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
Old 01-28-2022, 11:22 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Just got home from picking up a 2011 Roadtrek Chevy 210 Popular, found a great deal in Tampa. It's in nice condition although the carpet needs a deep cleaning and the front seat upholstery needs replacing. Both easy tasks. Today was pretty windy but it drove great on the way home. I averaged 15.4mpg driving 65 and 70mph.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:36 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quick pic on our way home. After driving in rain all the day before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Florida pic small.jpg (1.08 MB, 4 views)
Old 01-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Congrats!

Get the van weighed "empty" (just two passengers and full tank of gas) for a base weight. Then check your weight stickers and stay within your limits. To ensure this, weigh fully loaded on your first trip to verify.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Thanks, we'll be out of town for a month (without the RT) so won't be able to do anything until then. But that is definitely on my list along with testing battery capacity, etc.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Don't know what the front tire pressure recommendations are for the 210, but those of us with the standard Chevy Express have front sticker recommendations of 50-55 lbs. I personally think this is too low. Yes, more weight is in the rear (recommendation 80lbs.) but there's still 4000+ lbs on the front. Most (including myself) have run 60lbs with no negative ride impact and better steering/handling.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I ran 50# front and 70# rear, just me and full tank of gas. Ride was very good at 62mph. A little wander at 65 and a bit more at 70. Worse was the buffeting following an 18 wheeler. Not wander but the body was rocking on the suspension. Later in the day it got pretty windy with side winds. Not scary at all unless it was a gust then a drift to the side.
I'll try 60# front and 80# rear after I get it weighed. I'm running Bridgestones, need to check which model.
Overall pleased with the ride and driving.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
I ran 50# front and 70# rear, just me and full tank of gas. Ride was very good at 62mph. A little wander at 65 and a bit more at 70. Worse was the buffeting following an 18 wheeler. Not wander but the body was rocking on the suspension. Later in the day it got pretty windy with side winds. Not scary at all unless it was a gust then a drift to the side.
I'll try 60# front and 80# rear after I get it weighed. I'm running Bridgestones, need to check which model.
Overall pleased with the ride and driving.

Most of us with the Chevies run higher than sticker pressures. With stock size tires, especially on a 210 with higher rear weight in the rear, I think it is pretty important to keep the rears at 80 unless you have higher capacity than stock tires on it. Rear tire failures are something we hear about sometimes. Higher front pressure will help a bit with the wander and there are other things that can also be done to improve it if the pressure isn't enough. Chevies can be made to handle very well, IMO, and there are lots of discussions how to do that at various levels and costs. With stock tires we ran 65/80 on our 07 190P and with larger, higher capacity, tires we generally run 62/76 now.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote