Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Member

Howdy, first post, Retired for the last 9 years looking to purchase or build a class B. I've owned a class A a few years ago and miss camping. We currently spend a few weeks a year at time share resorts and now we want to incorporate camping in-between resort stays and eventually do another round trip of the USA. My requirements are a unit that can park in most normal parking places, get decent fuel milage, air conditioning as we are acclimated to the northern pacific coast where a hot day is 80f, bathroom, shower optional. Our budget is limited do to the "savings" we are now incurring from Obama care, we are taking a major hit $ so we can't afford a new one now hence the MPG is important too. One of my options I'm looking at is a Promaster diesel van and converting it. I'm, a jack of all trades and have a full compliment of tools in my garage. Or buying a used one. My budget is $30-50K. Any suggestions or models/years to avoid? I've been reading the nightmares about Sprinters, their costs for parts and repairs but haven't researched enough to get a good handle on what's hyped.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Member

Welcome to the class B forum. You have found the ultimate site for class B's, tons of info here. Just keep researching and you will find the right B for your needs.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm not sure what nightmares you have been reading about on Sprinters. For the most part they are the most solid performing B on the market and most all Sprinter owners are happy. It is just the non-Sprinter owners that like to agonize over them. But, anyway, you will be hard pressed to find a Sprinter to fit your budget. They hold their value too well. Too bad. They get the best MPG.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I was looking at the new sprinter to convert but there aren't too many places to service them while under warrantee on the northwest coast. There are only two places north of SF in Ca and one of them is a Freightliner dealer. 4 hr drive.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

A little research pointed me to the 2004-6 Vista Cruiser sprinters. They are in my price range. Anything major to look out for chassis or drive train wise? Seems to be a lot of them out there with low milage <75,000 miles. I understand the I-5 is a little cheaper for parts.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have not heard of any horrors in the drive train or engine of the I5 Sprinter in the Class B world. Whether you can find any in the delivery van or work van world might be a different story. Fed Ex still uses them extensively so they must be satisfied. The 2004 through 2006 had a plastic turbo resonator that often broke and put you in limp home mold. It is a cheap part and anyone probably could replace it themselves. With simple instructions I know absolutely any auto repair could do it as there is nothing special involved. A more permanent fix seems to be an aluminum part sold by an after market company called Riordan. If you were to buy a used Vista Cruiser you might find that fix had already been made. Or you may never encounter the problem. I didn't after 61,000 miles with my 2005 Pleasure-way Legend before trade in yet I was prepared in advance for the possible eventuality.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Mojoman-problems with diesel will be with anyone's diesel. I would not shy away from a sprinter for that reason I myself am going gas-but all diesels can have the same issues. If i was going to go diesel I would get the sprinter
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Out of curiosity, I went to the Mercedes Sprinter site to see if there was a dealer in CA north of Santa Rosa. There are a few around Sacramento and the Freightliner place that you mentioned in Redding. However, there's a Mercedes Sprinter dealer in Medford, Oregon that might be closer than any of these.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

We bought a new VW awhile back, soon after, the VW dealer along with many others in this area closed up shop so we had to drive to Santa Rosa or Medford for the service. Unless you spend the night, its an all day ordeal for the round trip back. I almost prefer to go to DMV than endure those service trips.