Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #1

Default New Member from Florida

I am the better half of [mention]Batt 57 [/mention] and am new to RV-ing. We have a deposit on a Boldt KL with the first right of refusal on a vehicle expected in December but are continuing to do exhaustive research in the Class B arena until then in case we see something that better fits our anticipated needs. I look forward to learning from everyone and sharing whatever I may learn to pay it forward. Adjustments.jpg
Mtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Forums

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtalisman View Post
I am the better half of [mention]Batt 57 [/mention] and am new to RV-ing. We have a deposit on a Boldt KL with the first right of refusal on a vehicle expected in December but are continuing to do exhaustive research in the Class B arena until then in case we see something that better fits our anticipated needs. I look forward to learning from everyone and sharing whatever I may learn to pay it forward. Attachment 9601

Never heard of you...
Batt 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt 57 View Post
Never heard of you...
Now remember. You have to get along inside a space of less than the size of your walk-in closet at home.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Now remember. You have to get along inside a space of less than the size of your walk-in closet at home.

Ha! Very true. I’ve been a long time tent camper and have rented a Class C. [mention]Batt 57 [/mention]has been a cross-country motorcycle camper. Our intention is to do as much boondocking/off the grid camping as possible and leave 99% of our belongings at home!!
Old 07-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtalisman View Post
Ha! Very true. I’ve been a long time tent camper and have rented a Class C. [mention]Batt 57 [/mention]has been a cross-country motorcycle camper. Our intention is to do as much boondocking/off the grid camping as possible and leave 99% of our belongings at home!!

We are actually super excited about this adventure!
Old 07-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Forum and hope your deposit on the Boldt KL works out for you.
My wife and i have a RoadTrek 210 Versatile and it is working out well for us. Has everything we need, is comfortable, good on fuel economy, Drives nice, easy to maintain and best of all we can/do park it in our driveway and connect it to 30 amp service to keep it ready to go.

Good luck and safe travels
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
Welcome to the Forum and hope your deposit on the Boldt KL works out for you.
My wife and i have a RoadTrek 210 Versatile and it is working out well for us. Has everything we need, is comfortable, good on fuel economy, Drives nice, easy to maintain and best of all we can/do park it in our driveway and connect it to 30 amp service to keep it ready to go.

Good luck and safe travels

We looked at the EcoTrek. Inventories are so low it’s been hard to see a lot of different models in person to compare. Glad to hear about yours...we are pretty excited to get into something and start adventuring
Old 07-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Ours is not an EcoTrek, it is a 2007 RT 210V, two 650 amp coach batteries, Inverter, Onan 2800 watt generator, we have Boondocked for a week with no issues and are looking forward to driving it to our place in Alaska via the ALCAN once the Canadian borders open back up.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batt 57 View Post
We are actually super excited about this adventure!

gonna drag a bike behind?

I don;t drag a heavyweight, but sometimes my trail 90 on a hitch/carrier

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #11

No plans to bring the KTM....at the moment. Although we have thought about a couple of e-bikes sometime down the road.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #12

[mention]RAA357 [/mention] like I said, inventories are so low we didn’t see the Versatile. Is yours a 4x4? How does it handle in Alaska? We hope to do an extended Alaska trip once the borders open up, as well. We are looking at the 4x4 Boldt KL
Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
gonna drag a bike behind?

I don;t drag a heavyweight, but sometimes my trail 90 on a hitch/carrier

mike

I guess that would depend on where we are going. Probably not my ADV bike but maybe a smaller displacement dual sport.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member

The 4x4 Bolt is on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Probably the best choice for ground clearance and soft-roading. The Ford Transit is All Wheel Drive with no corresponding lift over their standard RWD. And the Promaster offers nothing but standard height FWD.

Many of us here have older Roadtreks (or equivalent) on the Chevy Express chassis which has been eclipsed by the newer high-roof vans above. Those of us who own 'em love 'em, but they aren't comparable to the newer class "b's".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #15

[mention]rowiebowie [/mention] gotcha
Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Not a 4x4, handles the ALCAN very well, we do not drive off the hardtop roads, had it on the Alaskan Maritime Ferry a few times which is interesting. Subscribe to MilePost Magazine well in advance of your trip on the ALCAN, TONS of good Information. If you
like to BoonDock you will love the ALCAN.

https://www.themilepost.com/
Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
Not a 4x4, handles the ALCAN very well, we do not drive off the hardtop roads, had it on the Alaskan Maritime Ferry a few times which is interesting. Subscribe to MilePost Magazine well in advance of your trip on the ALCAN, TONS of good Information. If you
like to BoonDock you will love the ALCAN.

https://www.themilepost.com/

I’m very familiar with the MilePost. A number of my ADV friends have traveled extensively through Alaska. It’s still on my bucket list for the bike (and van!).
Myself, I’ve done the Great Continental Divide Trail from the Mexican to Canadian border on my KTM.
The thought of doing these trips in a van with Marci... SUPER excited! All new adventures.