Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Smile New Member From Oregon

Hello. I just joined this forum after finding it in a web search for Pleasure Way vans. My wife and I purchased a 2017 Pleasure Way Lexor, and took it out last weekend for a one night stay at the Oregon Coast. We have a LOT to learn! Our big plan is to drive to Alaska in June to visit my brother on the Kenai Peninsula. Just wanted to introduce myself and say "HI"!

Mike
mikeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome! The coast was amazing this weekend (Jan 13/14)! Doesn't get much better that that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coast.jpg (119.9 KB, 14 views)
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum mikeross!

Yes, a lot to learn. But it will come with time and experience. Enjoy your Pleasureway. I hear many good things about them and the lithium batteries are a great feature (if their '2017 models have them - which I think they do).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Smile The Coast Was Great

Thanks for the replies! It was nearly 60 degrees at the Coast and sunny, with not too much wind. A truly beautiful day. We had a spot overlooking the ocean which was spectacular. Got cold at night, though (we weren't plugged in and the van doesn't have enough battery juice to last through the night we found out). Still, it was a great time. Yes, the PW van does have lithium batteries, ours has one solar panel, and a generator. We wound up starting the van about 7:30 in the morning - I was unwilling to start that noisy generator early on a Sunday. I was impressed at how comfortable the bed was - I didn't have high hopes, but it was actually quite nice.

Thanks again for the replies - I have been reading a lot of threads here on such things as what to do with the spare tire (ours is currently under the sofa and hogs nearly all that space), strategies for getting the batteries to last through the night, and what to take/not take along on a trip......

Mike
Old 01-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeross View Post
Thanks for the replies! It was nearly 60 degrees at the Coast and sunny, with not too much wind. A truly beautiful day. We had a spot overlooking the ocean which was spectacular. Got cold at night, though (we weren't plugged in and the van doesn't have enough battery juice to last through the night we found out). Still, it was a great time. Yes, the PW van does have lithium batteries, ours has one solar panel, and a generator. We wound up starting the van about 7:30 in the morning - I was unwilling to start that noisy generator early on a Sunday. I was impressed at how comfortable the bed was - I didn't have high hopes, but it was actually quite nice.

Thanks again for the replies - I have been reading a lot of threads here on such things as what to do with the spare tire (ours is currently under the sofa and hogs nearly all that space), strategies for getting the batteries to last through the night, and what to take/not take along on a trip......

Mike
Mike, I'm curious why your 200 amps of lithium batteries will not last you through the night? You should be good for at least 2 days so long as you're not running the microwave or something that draws a lot of power.

Our Airstream Avenue has only two 95 amp lead-acid wet batteries and we get through one night fine. We have taken pains to run down and eliminate unnecessary power drains. We have everything running on 12 volts, so we eliminate the need to run our inverter. Never turned in on in 3 trips totaling almost 6 weeks out.

We have the draw of a compressor fridge but can still run lights & tv/dvr for 2-3 hours daily, ceiling fan (or furnace depending on the weather) overnight, and awake with 65-75% charge on our batteries after 15 hrs. unplugged. We don't stay in one place more than a night unless we can plug in to 30amp service and we drive at least 5 hrs or more each day so we always start overnight with batteries that are fully charged.

You should contact Pleasureway and ask them what you can do.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the info rowiebowie. We had the fridge on 12v (maybe should have switched it to propane now I think about it?) and the heater. Haven't tried the microwave yet, the power inverter, or the tv either. It was cold that night, near 40, so the heater ran quite a lot. We drove about 2 hours to the campsite, so the batteries should have had a pretty good charge. I will contact PW and see what they say. It is very helpful to know what you have been able to run on your system. Being new to the Class B world, I don't have a good idea of how things ought to perform. It seems like "something" isn't quite right.

Mike
Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeross View Post
We had the fridge on 12v
That'll do it. Don't do that.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That'll do it. Don't do that.
Yes, what avanti says. Running your fridge on 12v power will deplete batteries quickly.

While my 12v compressor fridge draws more power than an absorption fridge on propane, an absorption fridge should not be used on 12v unless driving (where the motor's alternator can replace the battery drain). They are a huge power drain when using a 12v heating strip to run the fridge.

Those who have absorption fridges may offer different advice, but I believe you should run your fridge on propane all the time (unless in storage or driving through a tunnel, on a ferry, or other area where propane must be turned off). They are pretty efficient this way and will run a long time before depleting your propane tank.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Welcome. Just so you know, Pleasure Way has a club and is a wealth of knowledge from its members. There is a West and East chapter. The president of the West chapter is Nancy Saunders and her email is pwnancys@verizon.net . The dues are $10 per year.
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote