Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2020, 01:53 AM   #1

Default New member in TX Starting a Class B Build

I've been building vintage campers for 10 years and did it full time for 2 years so I am very experienced in building a camper and this is my first van build and has been my dream to have a full Class B camper van for a long time. My van is a 1997 Dodge EX-Conversion van. The previous owner completely gutted the interior down to the metal. I wish he would have at least left the walls and preferably the walls and ceiling with the storage bins but oh well, at least it is a clean slate. I just finished getting everything mechanical finished and it runs like new. I love it because it was a conversion van it can double as just a cool looking van and can stealth camp very easily.

The first order of business was to install a drop floor which was done last month so now I can stand up all the way!

My floor plan will be the standard drivers side couch which pulls into a bed with a passenger side kitchen and a rear bathroom with the drop floor doubling as a shower pan. Alot of people put the bed in the back but I am 6' tall and take makes it real hard to sleep sideways.

It will have full 30 amp service, City water and on board water, hot water heater, 3 way fridge, 12v w/inverter and solar. I will just use a propane camp stove that stows for cooking indoors or out. Work is slow now due to it being pitch black and freezing when I get off work, not to mention a million other projects but work will pick up again very soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VanCamp.JPG (317.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Money.JPG (398.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8589.JPG (152.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8400.JPG (87.9 KB, 42 views)
tommy2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy2bits View Post
I've been building vintage campers for 10 years and did it full time for 2 years so I am very experienced in building a camper and this is my first van build and has been my dream to have a full Class B camper van for a long time. My van is a 1997 Dodge EX-Conversion van. The previous owner completely gutted the interior down to the metal. I wish he would have at least left the walls and preferably the walls and ceiling with the storage bins but oh well, at least it is a clean slate. I just finished getting everything mechanical finished and it runs like new. I love it because it was a conversion van it can double as just a cool looking van and can stealth camp very easily.

The first order of business was to install a drop floor which was done last month so now I can stand up all the way!

My floor plan will be the standard drivers side couch which pulls into a bed with a passenger side kitchen and a rear bathroom with the drop floor doubling as a shower pan. Alot of people put the bed in the back but I am 6' tall and take makes it real hard to sleep sideways.

It will have full 30 amp service, City water and on board water, hot water heater, 3 way fridge, 12v w/inverter and solar. I will just use a propane camp stove that stows for cooking indoors or out. Work is slow now due to it being pitch black and freezing when I get off work, not to mention a million other projects but work will pick up again very soon.

Welcome to the forum and keep us informed!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:19 AM   #3

That’s a great looking van to start ,I look forward to seeing pictures of your project as you move forward.
Thanks for sharing and Welcome.
jas Alvarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It will be fun watching your progress!
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #5

I admire your dedication. At 65 I just went out and bought ( at a pretty decent deal) a '95 G-20 done by Jayco. My wife wanted a toilet and she got it. Its amazing what Jayco designed into this chassis.

file:///C:/Users/ohiwi/OneDrive/Desktop/1995%20Chevrolet%20G20%20Van%20No%20Reserve!%2080K %20Miles%20Jayco%20Class%20B%20Camper%20ABS%20_%20 eBay_files/iPhone_photo_SP_17235644.jpg
Ohiwish is offline   Reply With Quote