Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Default new member looking for help!

Good morning!

I'm so happy to be here! I'm retiring in July 2022, researching vans to tour the country. I'd like to be able to take my grandkids--twin 5 year old boys--with me at some point. any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,
Terry

I'm also really new at this posting thing! first social media account, tried facebook, didn't want to spend too much time on it but I'm so excited to join in with all of you! I'm thinking of a Travatto K because I really want to take a shower outside. I also would like to tow a trailer with a motorcycle. Is that possible?
Tdozzi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdozzi22 View Post
Good morning!

I'm so happy to be here! I'm retiring in July 2022, researching vans to tour the country. I'd like to be able to take my grandkids--twin 5 year old boys--with me at some point. any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,
Terry

I'm also really new at this posting thing! first social media account, tried facebook, didn't want to spend too much time on it but I'm so excited to join in with all of you! I'm thinking of a Travatto K because I really want to take a shower outside. I also would like to tow a trailer with a motorcycle. Is that possible?
I have a 2016 PW Lexor TS build on Ram Promaster chassis. If towing is a major concern. I would not recommend getting a Travato. You will need more torque to tow. Look at the Ford Transit with ecoboost or MB diesel.
Just my 2 cents.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For serious towing I'd have to agree. But we're talking about a single motorcycle on a (presumably) small trailer, likely 1000-1500#. Surely a Promaster could handle that.

Are you looking for an inside wet bath in addition to the outside shower? Are we talking about 1+2 or 2+2 (adults and children)?

One issue for me is safety of the rear seating. The K has side-facing seating with lap belts. I would ideally want forward-facing seating with 3-point belts and head restraints. The Travato G and Solis offer that.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:46 AM   #4

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I actually would like to buy a motorcycle with a sidecar, had a 1973 Moto Guzzi with a sidecar for 13 years and would love to have another so towing would have to include a way to easily remove the bike from the trailer. I imagine I'll need a more powerful rig. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
Silver Member

We have a Solis winnebago on a Ram 2500. The Solis 59PX is on a 3500 I believe it can tow what you have, I have seen some other owners that have. We have an active FB group Winnebago Solis Owners & Wannabes maybe check it out for previous photos and explanations on how they tow their motorcycles. Also, the Solis sleeps 4 and has seating and 3 point seat belts for 4. The pop top is popular with lots of kids. Check it out and have fun with those twins!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #6

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the Solis and don't know why! I'm going to check it out--and maybe even start that facebook account again
Old 10-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We usta tow a motorcycle trailer behind our RT. We used an enclosed 6x10 single axle trailer with built in shelving and hangers for carrying the riding gear and other flotsam.

The trailer with a fairly light Versys 650 and travel ready weighed 2300 lbs. with a tongue weight of about 300 lbs. A Guzzi with a hack will be somewhat more. I'm assuming(hopefully) that you ride with protective gear. Helmets, jackets, pants and boots take up quite a bit of storage so along with the number of people traveling storage will be tight. This would seem to require an enclosed trailer versus a lighter open trailer.

With a class B you will really have to watch the GVWR and GCWR numbers.

The Promaster should work, power wise on paper, though I've never driven one. We were at 11,000 lbs fully kitted for traveling with our 2000 200 with the 5.7. We couldn't fly up the mountains, especially at altitude, but we got where we were going.

As far as specifically the Solis, can you live with the cassette toilet with it's tiny 4 gallon tank? You may have to carry an extra tank. Is cabin air conditioning available for pop tops?

Our 200 Versatile RT had three seats and some had four, complete with 3 point seat belts. The rear passenger seat(s) can be made into beds for kids. Tanks were 35 fresh, 28(?) grey, 10 black, 35 gas, and just over 10 actual for LP. We mostly dry camp so tank size was/is important for us. It also had a significantly larger fridge that was not on the floor. The RT worked well and fit what we wanted to do. Sold it with 222k miles, still running well. We sold it cuz we were wanting something a bit bigger for dual travelling and found an old Safari Trek that is working well for us.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
Silver Member

Awesome, let us know what you think.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #9

COACHMEN Beyond has 22c model which I have with auto bed bench and a 22d model with two twin beds. I love mine were easy to drive. No blind spots.
Also look at Leisure Craft Wonder. Nice but it has a step in the middle. I didn't like that but they have a garage. Also try Winnebago. They have great smaller Class C s with Cab over bunk for boys. Their hideout.
Glamper Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I ride Race bikes & Scooters so my needs are different but adding a trailer is another level of complication BUT if the trailer is big enough, they are a great way of carrying your two wheels & accessing them easily as well as better distribution of heavy & bulky items you don't want in the RV.

Once you go beyond a 600lb bike, everything changes - I carry one of 3 Scooters behind my 05 Roadtrek Versatile but whenever I put
anything over 400lbs, I notice it affects my front braking. But my truck is heavy as it is, cargo wise.

I have a 600lb carrier I got from a company in Santa Ana in Orange County, CA called WMA Motorsports - their details are in the 3rd photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210921_142240_resized.jpg (312.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20210828_210649_resized_1.jpg (255.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20210827_233259_resized.jpg (225.7 KB, 4 views)
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #11

Thanks all! I'm looking at a custom conversion on promaster 3500 for towing.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
Silver Member

You have three issues to consider. The first is the seating/safety of the kids. We have a PW Lexor that seats 4, but the passengers are in the far back on the couch. If I had younger kids with me I'd want them behind me up front.

The second issue is sleeping accommodations and sleeping 4 in a B will limit your choices. The Solis touts that you can put the kids in the attic, but w/5 yo's do you want them negotiating a ladder. I do believe the Solis has passenger seating behind the driver.

Towing. PW's specs for the Lexor, on a Promaster 3500 chassis is that it can tow 2000#, but I suspect that it is actually less if you subtract the road weight of the van from Ram's specification of GCVW, i.e. the total weight of the van and trailer. I weighed our van ready to go and it was 8300#, not including my wife and food, but I haven't looked up the GCVW yet.

The Goose w/a side hack will probably be 800-1000# and an enclosed trailer will weigh a lot as it will need to be big to accommodate the width of rig. Regardless of what van you settle on, you maybe better off with an open trailer similar to the ones used by the lawn services.

My recommendation on a class b van chassis would be the Sprinter or Transit, the promaster simply won't have enough capacity.

Best of luck.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:29 AM   #13

Thanks for all the input. i've really been researching rvs and might forgo the bike for now and just do the conversion van, get used to it and then maybe move up to a class c or b+ for towing. looks like class Cs are the vehicles best for towing so hopefully after I get some miles under my belt I'll buy my bike. I really like the conversions and hope to find one with very light material for the build. If I do the transit I may be able to tow with it. so many choices!!!
Old 10-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdozzi22 View Post
Good morning!

thanks,
Terry

Check out the Thor Tellaro 20AT or Sequence 20A. Forward-facing jumpseat for two kids, Sky Bunk for two kids, big bed in the back for the dolts. You’d have to add an outdoor shower, wouldn’t be hard to do.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote