Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Default new member looking for help!

Good morning!

I'm so happy to be here! I'm retiring in July 2022, researching vans to tour the country. I'd like to be able to take my grandkids--twin 5 year old boys--with me at some point. any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,
Terry

I'm also really new at this posting thing! first social media account, tried facebook, didn't want to spend too much time on it but I'm so excited to join in with all of you! I'm thinking of a Travatto K because I really want to take a shower outside. I also would like to tow a trailer with a motorcycle. Is that possible?

Tdozzi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdozzi22 View Post
Good morning!

I'm so happy to be here! I'm retiring in July 2022, researching vans to tour the country. I'd like to be able to take my grandkids--twin 5 year old boys--with me at some point. any suggestions would be welcome.

thanks,
Terry

I'm also really new at this posting thing! first social media account, tried facebook, didn't want to spend too much time on it but I'm so excited to join in with all of you! I'm thinking of a Travatto K because I really want to take a shower outside. I also would like to tow a trailer with a motorcycle. Is that possible?
I have a 2016 PW Lexor TS build on Ram Promaster chassis. If towing is a major concern. I would not recommend getting a Travato. You will need more torque to tow. Look at the Ford Transit with ecoboost or MB diesel.
Just my 2 cents.

Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For serious towing I'd have to agree. But we're talking about a single motorcycle on a (presumably) small trailer, likely 1000-1500#. Surely a Promaster could handle that.

Are you looking for an inside wet bath in addition to the outside shower? Are we talking about 1+2 or 2+2 (adults and children)?

One issue for me is safety of the rear seating. The K has side-facing seating with lap belts. I would ideally want forward-facing seating with 3-point belts and head restraints. The Travato G and Solis offer that.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:46 AM   #4

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I actually would like to buy a motorcycle with a sidecar, had a 1973 Moto Guzzi with a sidecar for 13 years and would love to have another so towing would have to include a way to easily remove the bike from the trailer. I imagine I'll need a more powerful rig. Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-11-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
Silver Member

We have a Solis winnebago on a Ram 2500. The Solis 59PX is on a 3500 I believe it can tow what you have, I have seen some other owners that have. We have an active FB group Winnebago Solis Owners & Wannabes maybe check it out for previous photos and explanations on how they tow their motorcycles. Also, the Solis sleeps 4 and has seating and 3 point seat belts for 4. The pop top is popular with lots of kids. Check it out and have fun with those twins!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #6

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the Solis and don't know why! I'm going to check it out--and maybe even start that facebook account again
Old 10-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We usta tow a motorcycle trailer behind our RT. We used an enclosed 6x10 single axle trailer with built in shelving and hangers for carrying the riding gear and other flotsam.

The trailer with a fairly light Versys 650 and travel ready weighed 2300 lbs. with a tongue weight of about 300 lbs. A Guzzi with a hack will be somewhat more. I'm assuming(hopefully) that you ride with protective gear. Helmets, jackets, pants and boots take up quite a bit of storage so along with the number of people traveling storage will be tight. This would seem to require an enclosed trailer versus a lighter open trailer.

With a class B you will really have to watch the GVWR and GCWR numbers.

The Promaster should work, power wise on paper, though I've never driven one. We were at 11,000 lbs fully kitted for traveling with our 2000 200 with the 5.7. We couldn't fly up the mountains, especially at altitude, but we got where we were going.

As far as specifically the Solis, can you live with the cassette toilet with it's tiny 4 gallon tank? You may have to carry an extra tank. Is cabin air conditioning available for pop tops?

Our 200 Versatile RT had three seats and some had four, complete with 3 point seat belts. The rear passenger seat(s) can be made into beds for kids. Tanks were 35 fresh, 28(?) grey, 10 black, 35 gas, and just over 10 actual for LP. We mostly dry camp so tank size was/is important for us. It also had a significantly larger fridge that was not on the floor. The RT worked well and fit what we wanted to do. Sold it with 222k miles, still running well. We sold it cuz we were wanting something a bit bigger for dual travelling and found an old Safari Trek that is working well for us.
'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:57 PM   #8
Silver Member

Awesome, let us know what you think.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #9

COACHMEN Beyond has 22c model which I have with auto bed bench and a 22d model with two twin beds. I love mine were easy to drive. No blind spots.
Also look at Leisure Craft Wonder. Nice but it has a step in the middle. I didn't like that but they have a garage. Also try Winnebago. They have great smaller Class C s with Cab over bunk for boys. Their hideout.

Glamper Jan is offline   Reply With Quote