Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2022, 04:25 AM   #1

Default New Member looking to get E-bikes inside. Any good units to modify?

My DW and I have been camping in our Sienna (I built a bed platform) and want to upgrade to a class B. We 've tried a few things and I've looked at dozens of models and read even more threads here but did not find any standard model that meets our needs. There are 4 "must haves"
1) easy to drive/park as her van .. At most 22ft (ideally 20ft).
2) eBikes kept inside (e.g. in garage under the bed)
3) toilet for regular use (not a bucket or folding unit)
4) no-crawl-over bed design (e.g. twins, but with connection when wanted)

And things like a heater, kitchen, power system etc would be nice. AC and generator would be okay but not required. We are not fancy so "finish" and nice cabinets are not a big deal, but function and reliability is.
I've looked at customer builders for new conversion vans and what I want would be 140K from them and expect I can get what I want cheaper if I mod an existing used unit. I can build just about anything I want, it will take time and I'll trade some $ for time (but not $$$ of full custom).

We've looked at simple conversion vans (e.g. wayfairer) that have a high large bed but which are nice, and would be the basis of my "DIY" as they are missing 3/4 of our required list but are closer than most big name Class B. I have a design for a bed system in the back of the DIY but I am hoping it might work in some existing premade class B if I can take out the bed system and get full-height bed in them, keeping the rest of the system components. I may just go DIY but had a few ideas (below) that might work by modifying existing models but lack data.

So some questions I cannot find answers to some online and hope someone here might know.
a) how much space is below the murphy bed in a Solis P or PX. Can I Get 2 bikes under it? Can I get two big e-bikes (fat tire mountain bikes) behind the bed in a Solis 59px? (THere are none locally but I could drive a few hours to check one out but figured I'd ask here first).

b) if I take out the couch bed in a SRT is there any system components (power/heat etc) under it or in the OHcabinets/? if not, I can take it out the couch and OH Cabinets and build my beds there.

c) Any other models where I could take out the beds twin beds and build my platform beds? I checked out some units (2006 roadtrec 190, 2018 Coachman Crossfit...), and the space under the beds is crammed with stuff. No brochures I've seen describe what space is open
dr_innovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Our Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex with the queen lift bed satisfies your requirements, but it’s a chore and a wait to get one. It may give you some ideas though. We love it.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Our Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex with the queen lift bed satisfies your requirements, but it’s a chore and a wait to get one. It may give you some ideas though. We love it.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind and glad to hear you love it as they are a smaller outfit but worth a look. However, that is a queen lift, not a twin so for night time runs to the bathroom you have to disturb the other person. . I've also seen Revel's and Entegra with that design. And while its true I could use it as a base to take out the bed and put in my, but they are already at/above the price of full custom build for new ones. Even a used 2021 Revel I looked at was 135K so about a new custom. (though the used revel did have some nicer finishes than the custom, nice cabinets that is not something I'd pay a lot for).
Old 11-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I custom designed my Class B van and was built by Advanced RV in Ohio, but one could build the design themselves. It meets all your criteria, good size full bathroom, under 20 ft., two single beds but bunk bed design, and including e-bikes as I considered that. My back storage space is vertical and not under a bed. I have adjustable shelves and I made sure I could get folding e-bikes like Dahon, Carbo, Brompton, etc. to name a few. I also could remove the shelves and get two regular bikes vertical in the space. I haven't carried them as I may no longer ride bicycles as I pulled a Biden the last time out and fell. Getting old and balance is a b***h.

This is the design...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mies 3D Back Storage.jpg (151.1 KB, 13 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_innovation View Post
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind and glad to hear you love it as they are a smaller outfit but worth a look. However, that is a queen lift, not a twin so for night time runs to the bathroom you have to disturb the other person. . I've also seen Revel's and Entegra with that design. And while its true I could use it as a base to take out the bed and put in my, but they are already at/above the price of full custom build for new ones. Even a used 2021 Revel I looked at was 135K so about a new custom. (though the used revel did have some nicer finishes than the custom, nice cabinets that is not something I'd pay a lot for).
The queen bed is oriented north/south (as opposed to the Revel) so no crawling over each other at night for trips to the bathroom.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
The queen bed is oriented north/south (as opposed to the Revel) so no crawling over each other at night for trips to the bathroom.
Thanks.. had not really paid attention to the orientation. That sounds better than the Revel but I'll have to try getting out over the foot of the bed at home without waking her.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_innovation View Post
That sounds better than the Revel but I'll have to try getting out over the foot of the bed at home without waking her.
Durango RV Rentals has Safari Condo XL Flex vans in their rental fleet. Last time I checked they had XL Flex units on all three chassis options; Promaster, Sprinter, and Ford Transit.

Each season they usually sell a few of their vans as they rotate in new units from the factory in Quebec. So you could check the lengthwise bed configuration in person before you buy or customize yourself.

We've rented from Durango RV in the past. They're nice folks and I'm sure they'd be happy to let you check out one of the units if you visit Durango.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Durango RV Rentals has Safari Condo XL Flex vans in their rental fleet. Last time I checked they had XL Flex units on all three chassis options; Promaster, Sprinter, and Ford Transit.

Each season they usually sell a few of their vans as they rotate in new units from the factory in Quebec. So you could check the lengthwise bed configuration in person before you buy or customize it yourself.

We've rented from Durango RV in the past. They're nice folks and I'm sure they'd be happy to let you check out one of the units if you visit Durango.
Thanks.
I did try getting out of bed over the end at home last night. Was not very smooth/quiet and that was with nothing at the end From the video review I found () the flex DL does not have much room to get out of the north-south bed. It seems the bathroom would block the south exit on one side so may not work it too well for a non-crawl-over exit.

But Durango's only a 5hour drive in a nice part of the state, so might just do that and maybe get some boarding in out there. Just checked the available dates for the XL flex, and that is a popular unit. Only 4 single days it is not rented between now and march when it is open for a week, then booked solid until June. So would need to time it right.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:07 PM   #9

Wow! That’s a cool design!
Strider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:40 AM   #10

Default Also a safari condo flex owner

We regularly hawl 2 full size bikes in our safari condo xl flex promaster. We take off the front tire and seat which gives us enough head room to sleep comfortably with bikes inside.

I built a front tire mount from a 2x4 and a couple fork mounts to keep the bikes sturdy. The 2x4 is between the edges of the pull-out tray. That tray makes getting the bikes in and out much easier.
sharter is offline   Reply With Quote