Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #1

Default New member says Hi

Hi Forum folk!
We recently bought an older Roadtrek as a fun project and are hoping there are others who might be able to answer a few of my questions as we get started on this. We are new to motorhomes and really excited to get this roadworthy.
Whitebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You bet!

The Folks here have given invaluable help to me before & after buying our van.

which year/ model ?

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:40 AM   #3

2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular. Anyone know what the fresh water tank is made out of so I can find the right repair product for it? Thanks
Old 05-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular. Anyone know what the fresh water tank is made out of so I can find the right repair product for it? Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

What specific problem are you having with the tank? Connection leaking, punctured by road hazard, etc.?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

The area aroung the drain was damaged, probably from a road impact. It looks like someone tried to plastic weld it but did a rough, sloppy job and there is a small leak in the repair area. The tank is dark gray.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
The area aroung the drain was damaged, probably from a road impact. It looks like someone tried to plastic weld it but did a rough, sloppy job and there is a small leak in the repair area. The tank is dark gray.

If the leak is small, and the weld is holding OK but sloppy (very common), it likely there is some extras material around the small leak or nearby. The tank is non pressurized so only sees the water head pressure, so super strong not critical. I have made similar, ugly, plastic welds and I also would get small leaks so I think your issue is similar.

What I usually do is clean it all up well, and maybe rough up the leak area bit and pick out any dirt that got in. Tank has to be empty and totally dry in the that area. Make sure that no added sealing attempts have been made as any silicone or other stuff will make it nearly unweldable without grinding it all out.

To fix the hole, use a soldering iron to melt and push some surrounding material into the leak area and fuse it in. You need to get hot enough to melt and fuse, but not overheat the plastic. I have found this works nearly all the time if no other products have been used to try to seal the area. Even if it doesn't work, you have little time in it and haven't wrecked anything.

Others may know for sure, but the tank is likely polyethylene and almost nothing sticks to it well.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #7

Thanks for the good info. I think I'll stay on the safe side by avoiding the compounds and try to clean up and seal the patch by re-working it as you recommend. Makes sense. Thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 01:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Congrats on your purchase. We got a 2006 RS Adventurous (Sprinter) 2 years ago and have loved every minute. I have a few upgrades/projects on it that you can scan thru the forum for.

Another thing to check on the leak is a crack. If so, find the ends and stress relieve it by drilling a small hole at each end, then do the repair. Otherwise the crack may just continue to promulgate through the repaired area.

Welcome to the forum!
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:42 AM   #9

Default Hi

Hi engnrules,
Looks like the former owner hit something with the freshwater drain then tried to repair the complex fracture with a sloppy and poorly bonded plastic weld. Can't use ss mesh due to the deep contours. I have a new welder coming from Polyvance so I can try to re-work the repair as booster suggested and see what happens. Been really working this unit over and looking forward to getting it on the road soon.
Thanks!