Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 01:03 AM   #1

Default new member - SC shopping for a mobile basecamp

Hi folks,

looking for a nice class b as a mobile basecamp while i'm traveling throughout the southeast for work during the week with secondary use for trips with my small family (wife and young son). I'm very intrigued by the new off grid technology in the etrek and am wanting off grid features but in a smaller overall chassis. Towing a 4k lb trailer is also on my wishlist but finding all these in one rig is proving difficult.

The 59G floorplan would be a good layout but doesnt have Lithium cells/underhood generator/voltstart I'm considering going with a bespoke build but dont want to wait a year or more as I have a need for a mobile basecamp in August.

My wife loves the seating option up front for our young son in the 59G floorplan. I like the murphy bed/corner bath layout in the 59G. One big drawback with the promaster chassis is the FWD and limited - no towing capacity.

Suggestions on a make/model would be welcome. Is anyone building something travato-esque on the new transit?
fullofdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You could buy the van with the layout you prefer then upgrade the electrical to meet your requirements. The original warranty would not apply to the changes you make.

You could pick brand name components and design a system with minimal parasitic losses. Folks have been happily going off grid in camper vans for more than 5 decades so it's really up to you to decide what it is that you need to be comfortable while using the van.

Maybe check Sportsmobile - Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Ford Transit Vans Info - for a Ford Transit build.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

Has anyone upfitted a Travato with underhood gen/alternator/solar/lithium/volt start?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Wincrasher posted that the FitRV folks are likely doing something along those lines: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post45385

Another approach is what Wincrasher has done; autostart for the Onan generator & drop-in lithium battery replacements.

There are many ways to do things.

Maybe give us an idea of what you figure you need for air conditioning etc. Is that likely to be running most of the day and night? Will you be driving a lot - like everyday?
Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 AM   #5

Majority of treks will be 2-3 days solo. 100-300 mile trips to client sites. Once at client site, I'll be commuting 20 mins a day to and from work to campsite .. Rest of trips will be long weekend touring and an annual cross country trek or two with 2 adults and a baby. Don't know how much AC I'll need at this point.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Platinum Member

If you're able to plug in at the campsites to run air conditioning then I think you'd be OK with a traditional type Class B setup like the Travato. Of course you could always run the Onan generator (if allowed).

Mike Wendland has a Roadtrek with the largest battery bank available in a Class B I presume - 1600ah lithium IIRC. He recently had this to say:

one night air.JPG

He noted 2 or more days as being a long stay and finds a place to plug in if it is hot and they need air conditioning.

Yan Seiner (Roadtrek employee) summed it up like this:

Yan drive often if using air.JPG

Running an engine or an Onan generator is not always permitted because of campground quiet hours or no idling rules etc.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #7

I can't find a new Travato 59g at any dealerships within 350 miles. I know it's a long shot but are there any forum members with a 59g or 59k live in upstate/midlands SC or near Charlotte NC that could give me a tour of their coach?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #8

Default 1990 SunSport

Not sure if this will be interesting for you, but I have a 1990 Sun Sport I'm selling. It is older but the condition is top notch. Feel free to visit my profile and look at the pictures.

Craigmc
Craigmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Why would the PM's FWD be a negative? It's really a huge plus. Yep, you need to drive one. Select a windy day.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 AM   #10

Because towing
Old 06-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

PM towing capacity 5,100 lb. you have a 4,000 lb trailer.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

Please do some research/reading on the web
regarding the definition/meaning of "towing capacity".

The actual weight you can tow is not as much as most people thought.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Please do some research/reading on the web
regarding the definition/meaning of "towing capacity".

The actual weight you can tow is not as much as most people thought.
Towing capacity is towing capacity, no mystery there. It is a maximum amount of weight that can be towed while staying within the limits of other parts of the vehicle such as GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) and GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

Lastly hitch (tongue) weight must be considered. Tongue weight is also specified by the manufacturer and if you happen to be over on tongue weight but below GCWR then you could adjust the load in the trailer and put more weight behind the axle.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #14
Platinum Member

GCWR maximum combined vehicle and trailer weight for the gas Promaster 3500 is 11500 lbs.

Motorhome Magazine reviewed the Travato 59G and found the wet weight (tanks full, no passengers or gear) to be 7440 lbs. With a 4k trailer that's 11440 lbs combined weight, leaving only 60 lbs total available for passengers and gear combined.

Unfortunately just not quite enough capacity for towing your trailer except perhaps a single driver with half empty tanks and no gear.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote