Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Default New member with Transmission Trouble

Hello there,

I'm posting this for a relative who's stuck in Calgary, Alberta with automatic transmission problems with his 1996 Eurovan Rialta.

The van is at the local Volkswagen dealer who have been gracious but unable to provide any mechanical assistance. We've checked with both Import Performance Transmissions in Hawthorne NJ and German Transaxle in Bend OR but they don't have any in stock and would have to rebuild existing unit. Difficult given location of Van.

I'd appreciate any counsel the wise members of this forum may have. My relatives are an older couple, the wife is physically disabled so my Mom is entertaining them in her home.

If anyone's aware of an existing transmission or has other alternative repair shops...I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you very much,

Scott

scottincalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:40 PM   #2

Default Check for a Transmission Control Module first and foremost

This computer brain is located behind the fuse panel and can be checked for malfunction. Most of the diagnostics refer to this as a TCM problem is all of the people working in a transmission repair confuse the computer as being a part inside the transmission. I discovered this on my own and found out that no one would diagnose correctly. They only want to rebuild your transmission for upto $5,000 or better yet while we paid for the breakdown of our transmission they actually replaced with a Golf transmission and gave back to us with same problem they misdiagnosed. Transmission was slow going into reverse well it was a TCM (computer) and we paid thru the touch for the miss-representation which was carried out in two other locations. $1,500 plus $100 diagnostic plus $3,500 plus another $400 until we decided to just put in a used transmission for $2,500 plus $500 to change the front boots as they had been tampered with also, but this was difficult also as we discovered the first company changed the transmission out with a goff transmission with no disclosure they stole our transmission. Such crooks when all that was needed was the TCM a $100 part a $250 install and reprogram. Do not be fooled as we were. This was on going since April 2019. If you need a transmission buy a used one and have it installed.
joybarbe@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For what its worth, https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/Par...on=AllVehicles
Very expensive for TMC module. Scroll down to VW parts. Also check here:
Winnebago Rialta Motor Home

MLogan
Formerly 2004 Rialta
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Contact Mister Transmission
620 Pembina Hwy. Winnipeg, MB R3M 2M5
(204) 453-9245
mrt112@mistertransmission.com

Talk to whomever answers the phone but one of the techs there has extensive experience with VW's and may know where to source a transmission or rebuild kit.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote