Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Default New owner of 93 Great West Classis

Hi guys!

My husband and I just bought a 1993 Great West Classic! We are sooo excited - first time owners.

The tires are Michelin’s with a date stamp of 2014. They are 225/75/16’s. From what I am reading we should look into replacing these even though the tread looks good. Any suggestions on brands or sizes? Seems like I read on another thread that maybe they should be larger than 16?

Any help would be appreciated!

Melissa
Melrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats!
I usually buy tires at costco for warranty in the US and Canada.
This last time costco was back ordered and I used AZ chain discount tire as I needed tires for an unplanned trip

My best option for my chev van were michelin agilis crossclimate- the load range ( or load index) is very important.
Also a shop with has the ability to lift the van to do the tires- that is worth a call in advance given the height and weight- don;t pay extra though
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Second vote for new tires and the Michelin Agilis. These tires were new last year with few reviews when I bought a set of the outgoing Michelin Defenders. But in typical Michelin fashion, reviews are now plentiful and very good.

I replaced my spare, but you should be able to save a few dollars and keep one of your older tires as your spare.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

Ah, yes! Costco!

Thanks for the tips, definitely gonna go for the Michelin’s.

Thanks guys!
Melrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Booster & others have had some up & down experiences with Michelins.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I also use tire pressure monitoring system ( which when our vans were built was kicking the tire before leaving)

amazon $38

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this has the high PSI range (my van is 60Front 80R).

the valuable functions are being able to see whether PSI is in normal range and tire temps- a change may indicate a problem and I have an alarm set at 50 psi.

there is so much road debris/ blowed tires on the road I want to get a heads up if I suffer tire damage from hitting something

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I also use tire pressure monitoring system ( which when our vans were built was kicking the tire before leaving)

amazon $38

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this has the high PSI range (my van is 60Front 80R).

the valuable functions are being able to see whether PSI is in normal range and tire temps- a change may indicate a problem and I have an alarm set at 50 psi.

there is so much road debris/ blowed tires on the road I want to get a heads up if I suffer tire damage from hitting something

Mike

$38 Might be nice to have two sets - front and back.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great west, newbie, tires