Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
KAB

Default New Owner - Roadtrek

I joined awhile back as a prospective owner and now it's official.
I currently own a 2000 Roadtrek Dodge 190 Popular. I am very green and have never owned any form of RV or trailer. So I will probably be posting some elementary questions. Asking for pardon ahead of time
KAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAB View Post
I joined awhile back as a prospective owner and now it's official.
I currently own a 2000 Roadtrek Dodge 190 Popular. I am very green and have never owned any form of RV or trailer. So I will probably be posting some elementary questions. Asking for pardon ahead of time

Welcome to the forum KAB!

Everyone (almost) runs into problems and with an older model, you may have a few more. But this forum is a big help, so no need to apologize before you ask. A lot of Dodge vans still on the road and doing well, so here's hoping your problems are few.

My best advice is read the manuals, familiarize yourself with your unit by trying out appliances etc, then take a short shake-down trip before hitting the trail to farther parts.

Also, I found local RV dealers to be high-priced and unfamiliar with class b's. Therefore, I decided if something isn't working, I can't hurt things by carefully trying to fix it myself. I'll try to buy exact replacement parts and change them out myself (more "plug & play" that way). Cheaper sometimes than paying a steep dealer charge just to trouble-shoot and have them say "Yeah, it's broke". They may also include a steep mark-up on parts you can order yourself.

Finally, I must admit to feeling satisfaction when I fix things myself. Makes the sting and frustration of having to deal with problems a little less when it ends well.

Enjoy, let us know how things work out and post pictures!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard KAB, you are going to love that RT. As for the questions, we all ask them from time to time.....and this Group has the most highly talented folks, who also are always ready to help and guide us to solutions. I agree with rowiebowie about doing your own repairs; not to mention you have your vehicle, not some Service Center. Take a photo the part your going to work on, it sure helps when you are starting out. Long ago I picked up Trailer Life's RV Repair & Maintenance Manual......I learned a lot from it, then it was go try out what I learned. Ron
Old 12-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #4

Congrats on your RoadTrek! I just purchased a RoadTrek a couple years ago. Big learning curve the first year, but well worth it. Camp in your driveway for a few nights to make sure everything works. This forum is a great place to search for solutions, or ask advise. I always learn something here.
Lakesidemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

Welcome,
I want to be more green also. Planning on solar as soon as possible and maybe better batteries.
Max58 is offline   Reply With Quote