Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 03:39 AM   #1

Default New to a Motor home

I leave Sunday to fly to the East coast to buy a 2013 Pleasure Way Pursuit.
This motor coach will be replacing a 2000 16 foot Scamp Deluxe that we have had for 14 years. We wanted to up scale but still have something to take into the back country the Pursuit seems to fit our needs. If anyone has some advise for a new coach owner please let me know.
Dave Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tharp View Post
I leave Sunday to fly to the East coast to buy a 2013 Pleasure Way Pursuit.
This motor coach will be replacing a 2000 16 foot Scamp Deluxe that we have had for 14 years. We wanted to up scale but still have something to take into the back country the Pursuit seems to fit our needs. If anyone has some advise for a new coach owner please let me know.
Welcome to the forum Dave!

And welcome to the world of class "c" rv'ing. The Pursuit is nice with a lot of room in a fairly small package.

As far as tips go. Remember you are buying a vehicle and a camper, so don't forget to check fluid condition, service records, and crawl under the engine looking for leaks. For the camper part, try and have them demonstrate that all systems work. That means try them out, not just flick on switches. I also picked up my van from out of town and ran out of time to check all the coach appliances. Up till the last 5 items on my checklist, they all seemed fine so I skipped the rest. Well, 2 of the five remaining items cost me about $500 to repair/replace so don't let them off the hook and allow sufficient test time.

My coach batteries were nearly new, yet bad as they had been abused or neglected on the consigner's lot. Hard to tell, but check those as best you can.

Expect a few issues on the drive home or over the next few months. Get them sorted out before a long trip. This forum is a great resource so when the need arises, ask away.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #3

Default Thanks RowieBowie

I hope to check out as much as possible this coming Monday and Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon I leave and drive to Eastern Washington State so much sorting things out before a long trip.
Dave Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
Silver Member

Default Pursuit

Nice unit Dave!

We had a Prestige which was the upscale Pursuit. Between the two models, there was only 1,000 made (750 Pursuits and 250 Prestiges), as that is how many cutaway V-10 chassis units Pleasure-Way contracted for in 2012 for this "new type of vehicle". Later the following year, Ford gave mixed signals if they were going to continue production of the cutaway V10 (their were contemplating when they could bring the Ford Transit online). As a result, Pleasure-Way eventually shifted production to the Sprinter chassis for this type of vehicle. So, it's a fairly rare find. Extremely well-made and high quality. We got 10 mpg on average which is about 2/3rds what a Sprinter gets, but the purchase, maintenance and repair costs for a Ford is a fraction of that of the Sprinter.

My wife didn't like the convertible bed and wanted a fixed bed, so we eventually traded it for a Class B Plateau, but we wished we had the Ford engine!

Good Luck! The only suggestion I would make is that you have it checked out by a NRVIA inspector. (You are spending a lot of money.)

Ray B.
Ormond-by-the-Sea, FL
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote