Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #1

Question New to Class B

I recently bought a class B 2019 Airstream on a Mercedes Sprinter chasis. It has so much technology built in I am overwelmed. The previous owner didn't use is because it had only 3,400 miles on it when I picked it up at Lazy Days in Murfeesboro TN.

I would like to attend a rally or group with other owners of similar vehicles to pick some brains and perhaps learn how to enjoy this fine vehicle.
rjkossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkossman View Post
I recently bought a class B 2019 Airstream on a Mercedes Sprinter chasis. It has so much technology built in I am overwelmed. The previous owner didn't use is because it had only 3,400 miles on it when I picked it up at Lazy Days in Murfeesboro TN.

I would like to attend a rally or group with other owners of similar vehicles to pick some brains and perhaps learn how to enjoy this fine vehicle.
There is a long time B-Rally group but Covid interrupted it and I haven't heard if anyone has planned something for this year. B-Rally.org They are strictly Class B and have had as many as 40 vans at a rally.

A smaller group BSG Social (B Social Group) was once just Class B but are looser in having longtime members getting Class Cs which they call B+. They are planning a get together in Eureka Springs, Arkansas in early May.

Mike Wendland, once a rookie RVer here at Class B Forum with a Roadtrek Class B, but now has a Class C organizes get togethers, formerly Roadtrek sponsored, but we have been going to his Winter Freezeout in January on the Michigan UP. He broke up with Roadtrek and expanded his focus with RV Lifestyle promotions. He would like to organize more meetups.

All those groups have Facebook groups and some independent web sites.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

PS. I have an Advanced RV. They organize a get together every May at their plant in Willoughby, OH. It is kind of the mothership coming home and meeting other ARV owners in their parking lot boondocking, but it is for anyone with an RV or contemplating. It cost money, but they feed you, put on seminars and bring in entertainment. In the past George Mauro of Humble Road came and The Fit RV team of Stephanie and James Addinaro came and Steph led fitness seminars and events.

Other owner groups have similar get togethers, Pleasure-way for sure. I don't know if Airstream promotes one. You can start out on Facebook to find them or someone else can tell you here.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #4

Default Clas B rallys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
PS. I have an Advanced RV. They organize a get together every May at their plant in Willoughby, OH. It is kind of the mothership coming home and meeting other ARV owners in their parking lot boondocking, but it is for anyone with an RV or contemplating. It cost money, but they feed you, put on seminars and bring in entertainment. In the past George Mauro of Humble Road came and The Fit RV team of Stephanie and James Addinaro came and Steph led fitness seminars and events.

Other owner groups have similar get togethers, Pleasure-way for sure. I don't know if Airstream promotes one. You can start out on Facebook to find them or someone else can tell you here.
Davydd, thank you for the information. I'll check and see what I can attend. With the storm brewing across half the nation, I'll not venture out. But like always, this too will pass. Bob K
Old 01-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Suggest "practice camping" in the driveway to get familiar with all the systems, go through the manuals

parked, there is no penalty for failure or frowns from partners

access to tools, internet and youtube help

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #6

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I have been reading the manuals. Every time I pick one up I get a "Gee, I didn't know that" moment. Mostly the Mercedes part that has so many goodies. For example I saw today where the headlights are ajustable to accomodate loading.
Here's a question. The bed in this unit is made up of the sofa sliding down and the side seats moving from the wall position. I have layed on it for short periods and don't find it very comfortable. What sort of padding do people use to make the bed more comfy?
Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I have been reading the manuals. Every time I pick one up I get a "Gee, I didn't know that" moment. Mostly the Mercedes part that has so many goodies. For example I saw today where the headlights are ajustable to accomodate loading.
Here's a question. The bed in this unit is made up of the sofa sliding down and the side seats moving from the wall position. I have layed on it for short periods and don't find it very comfortable. What sort of padding do people use to make the bed more comfy?
Agree the Airstream bed is not comfortable. I added a 3-inch memory foam pad and now it is the most comfortable bed I have.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #8

Thanks, I have a piece of memory foam and will give it a try. Think I'll wait until this snow storm passes and it gets a little warmer.
Bob K
Old 01-20-2022, 04:14 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default DIY

I learned our van one system at a time.
12 V electrical and batteries.
Generator
Black water system
Fresh water system
Refrigerator
etc.

Breaking it up helped make it much more digestible.

Owners groups are great too. FB has a lot of them if you can stomach being on FB.

But you really need to read all the manuals for yourself and try everything yourself because along with 95% goodness comes 5% of ‘just plain wrong’ or misleading information.

Tom
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:17 PM   #10

Removing the side board on the folding side seats helps a lot.
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:18 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum!

Definitely test all the systems to make sure they work before embarking on any trip. I'm a visual learner so youtube is my friend. I found these Airstream Interstate/Mercedes specific "how-to's in a search.

As far as appliances, you can search the specific make and model in your van as they should work the same in whatever vehicle they are installed in.

P.S. - Is your rig winterized?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote