Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Default New to RV World

Have narrowed my 1st purchase decision to a 2017 PleasureWay Ascent or 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile ETrek. Looking for guidance and experience to make the best purchase choice. Live in Texas. Thanks for input from seasoned class B RVers.
z_spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Rok
Platinum Member

Hi z,

I can't remember the specific reasons, but IIRC I much preferred the Acent over the Agile when we were looking about 3 years ago. The Agile ETrek wasn't around back then, again IIRC, but it sounds intriguing (sp?).

Both of them were a little small for our needs, but the agility, maneuverability, and stealth of the smaller unit WERE appealing. After 3 years of "Camping", we probably would go a little larger rather than a little smaller. Even the 22' 9" Sprinters are a bit small after a few days of camping--at least in my opinion. We have a GW Legend SE.

I've always thought that some ingenious individual could find some way to use the space better in the 19' units or maybe they could start with one of the Sprinters with the doors on both sides and somehow have an optional slide out. You wouldn't want a mandatory slide out because that ruins the stealth factor.

Maybe the ETrek tech makes for more room. I'll have to check one out the next time I'm at a Roadtrek Dealership.

Good luck with your decision.

--Rok
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:05 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We went through the process last year. Wanted it to be small for easy access to fishing sites. Did not like the wall behind driver seat in the Ascent and liked the effort RT makes to push the standard battery model. So the Agile was an easy choice. It is small but I camp in it and do not try to live in it.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Gold Member

Just read everything you can on the various sites. We ended up purchasing an Ascent and couldn’t be happier.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Great. You will have fun!
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #6

We purchased an Ascent in August 2015, and here are some of the major differences. The kitchen on the passenger side allows full view when you are driving. The passenger steps are fixed on the Ascent. The passenger sliding door also has a wider opening on the Ascent. The Ascent has the refrigerator and microwave at eye level, so no bending over. The space above the front seats is open in the Ascent, which prevents head bumping, but the Agile does have storage there. The bathroom in the Agile does not have a sink, so there is more room, but the Ascent door closes flush. The Agile does have a wardrobe, but the side seats are rendered useless as a result. The Agile has flush screens in the rear compartment, the Ascent has roller shades. Come's down to your preference's and needs. Good luck to you!!
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #7

Default Swivel Passenger Seat and Black Water Macerator

Many thanks for all the replies. The Ascent has done away with the passenger swivel seat. My wife is not happy with that. Agile has retained that feature. I am still on the fence about which one to go with. Both factories respond well to questions. I also have concerns about black water dumping being dependent on an electric pump on the Agile. Would love some feedback.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:52 AM   #8
Platinum Member

We are seriously considering similar vans, but haven't decided yet. From what I have read, Pw seems to make a better product vs RT. Couple other key points for us:

Pleausre way

I like the PW layout with the kitchen on the "camp" side for the view into camp and driving

I like the lithium batteries, wiring and switch setup

Don't like the standard generator vs RT engine generator and volt start.

I don't like not having front swivel seats. For us that kind of kills the PW... In a small van they seem really essential to us.

Overall I like the smaller size but with PW we were thinking of going a bit bigger for the Plateau. It's not much bigger and solves most PW concerns.

Thoughts on Road Trek:

I like the front swivel seats
I like the rear hanging cabinet
I like no sink in the head... Not sure why everyone needs a sink in there... Takes up space
I like the engine generator and volt start but have heard mixed messages on reliability
Wish 4x4 was an option on the Agile like the other RT Sprinter options
Heard mixed reviews of RT build quality vs PW I have only heard good things

We are renting this year and hoping to go to Hershey to see all the offerings and compare. Have fun with the process!
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

Were are exactly on the same page. I will likely wait until the next year models are out for both RT and PW. RT also just was acquired by a German company. Need to see what the fall out is from that. Please keep me posted on your thoughts and findings between the two as you learn more. Thanks - z_spatula
Old 06-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Welcome Z.

Take suggestions for what they're worth. We all have different likes and needs. You mentioned waiting for next years models, so you have some research time.

I do, however, share your concerns with a black water pump. It may end up trouble free, or it could get a bit stinky and messy.

You may want to research the different chassis that the coaches are built on. Get some prices for parts and maintenance, and research reliability.

Gas or Diesel? The Diesels are going through a transition stage right now with pollution controls. Manufacturers are going through a learning curve. Maybe check with other new owners, and see how reliable each is.

Most important, don't put your faith in the Salesmen. Find out for yourself, and get everything in writing.
JimDavisHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #11
Site Team

I strenuously disagree about a blackwater macerator pump. I would never even consider owning a rig without one. A proper macerator system is completely sealed--you just remove a little cap at the end of the hose. No potential for contact with sewage and no storage of disgusting slinky hoses.

If you are worried about reliability, it is not difficult to install a redundant gravity feed dump for emergency use. Some rigs come with one. Try a forum search for "dual dump" and sip the firehose.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Avanti;

Glad you weighed in on this. I have absolutely no experience with that type of pump. It just sounded a bit odd that a pump would be preferred over a system without. My thought was "Just something else to go wrong", but your explanation makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
Platinum Member

"Strenuously disagree?" Wait until you have a macerator failure. They are not that durable.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
"Strenuously disagree?" Wait until you have a macerator failure. They are not that durable.
Haven't had a failure in 11 years of active B-vanning, and I have a dual-dump backup if it ever happens. From what I hear second hand, most failures are stuck impellers that can be fixed by turning the little screw with a screwdriver.

Gravity dumping reminds me of using the outhouses at summer camp.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I would agree with Avanti, we would not get a B without a macerator dump system. That said, I put on a redundant gravity dump system into our Roadtrek C190P, as there is a high likelyhood that sooner or later the pump will fail. How easy the pump is to change, and how messy it would be are valid considerations and would be good to look at on any model that has a macerator.

Gravity dump always reminds me of "cousin Kenny" on Christmas Vacation, while the pump is very clean, fast, and easy.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Once you got a macerator, you started raving about how wonderful they are. Something change, have a failure?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #17
Bronze Member

I think I may be missing something here.

This is just for the sake of discussion, but as far as I'm thinking, Dumping is dumping. Stuff the open end of the hose into the hole, pull the lever, or flip a switch, and there goes the poop.

Why would you want an extra pump if you don't need one? I have a pump on my shower drain due to the tank configuration, but if the tank was placed differently, I'd just as soon not have the pump.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDavisHouston View Post
I think I may be missing something here.

This is just for the sake of discussion, but as far as I'm thinking, Dumping is dumping. Stuff the open end of the hose into the hole, pull the lever, or flip a switch, and there goes the poop.

Why would you want an extra pump if you don't need one? I have a pump on my shower drain due to the tank configuration, but if the tank was placed differently, I'd just as soon not have the pump.
Most of the systems with gravity use the standard "stinky slinky" loose hose you have to hookup to the connector that will have some goop left most likely, you dump, then you have to rinse the hose, get it back into the tube, etc. With the macerator the hose is always attached and has a valve at the end. Open your dump valve, nothing comes out until the pump runs. Hold the hose and valve over the dump pipe, open the valve and turn on the pump. When the tank is empty, open the other dump valve. When that is empty close the valve on hose, no rinsing the hose. Close the dump valves and put the hose in the compartment. Much, much faster and cleaner than the gravity setup. 1/3 the time and 1/10 the mess.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Agree on the value of a macerator, no problems on our 08 RS macerator. I dump the black then leave the valve open and open the grey to backfill the black and get some rinsing of the tank. Close the grey and dump the black again. May repeat it again sometimes. Close the black and open the grey and dump the grey. Stow the hose and your done.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #20
Bronze Member

This has nothing to do with pump or no pump, but I saw a tip (can't remember where) that they said to drop a couple of dishwasher soap pods in the tank, and drive for a bit to slosh it around. I tried it, and my grey water LED indicator sprung back to life. (It didn't work from day 1) Not so lucky with the Black tank, I think something may have a bad connection. But the pods do seem to work nicely, and the occasional traces of odor disappeared.