Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #1

Default Newbie in the market

Hey folks,

My name is Alexander, nice to make your acquaintance.

Having recently decided to take the plunge into getting a B class RV, I wanted to get some information about what is available on the market that I should be looking for. Resources for searching build history and production years or variations are pretty difficult to navigate, or so I've found thus far.

So, if you're willing to lend a hand, I would greatly appreciate it. Here are the requirements I have determined for my own Class B:

- Ford base E-series 1997-2003 (I'm most mechanically familiar with these vehicles)
- No pop-tops
- Straight body, no side fairings
- Must have wet bath, preferably full standing (I'm 5'10" so I know I'll likely have to hunch anyway, which is okay. Standing is just preferable to a seated shower, though both are acceptable)
- Fridge, gas range, sink required
- one bed (can be a fold out)
- Needs to be able to tow a trailer or have a hitch attached for towing
- AC and heat will be needed

So far the only models I've found that fit these requirements (usually) are from Airstream and Coachman. Being extremely unfamiliar with the RV market, any information about other companies who made similar rigs would be extremely helpful. Also, if there are others out there which come close to meeting my needs and could be modified with relative ease, that would be useful too.

Thanks a ton for reading through my mess! I hope to become a Class B owner soon!

Alexander
Clarkebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkebar View Post
Hey folks,

My name is Alexander, nice to make your acquaintance.

Having recently decided to take the plunge into getting a B class RV, I wanted to get some information about what is available on the market that I should be looking for. Resources for searching build history and production years or variations are pretty difficult to navigate, or so I've found thus far.

So, if you're willing to lend a hand, I would greatly appreciate it. Here are the requirements I have determined for my own Class B:

- Ford base E-series 1997-2003 (I'm most mechanically familiar with these vehicles)
- No pop-tops
- Straight body, no side fairings
- Must have wet bath, preferably full standing (I'm 5'10" so I know I'll likely have to hunch anyway, which is okay. Standing is just preferable to a seated shower, though both are acceptable)
- Fridge, gas range, sink required
- one bed (can be a fold out)
- Needs to be able to tow a trailer or have a hitch attached for towing
- AC and heat will be needed

So far the only models I've found that fit these requirements (usually) are from Airstream and Coachman. Being extremely unfamiliar with the RV market, any information about other companies who made similar rigs would be extremely helpful. Also, if there are others out there which come close to meeting my needs and could be modified with relative ease, that would be useful too.

Thanks a ton for reading through my mess! I hope to become a Class B owner soon!

Alexander

Welcome to the forum Alexander!

Your preferred specs may be hard to find. I just went on retrader.com and searched class "b's" in the 1997-2003 range. As expected, for the Ford chassis I found only a couple of Chinooks, and a half dozen Pleasureways. However, all of them have the wide body. Some are single rear wheels but some are double, but they have a shell that extends out about six inches on each side once past the cab. A good thing for extra room, just not your preferred style.

There are a few Airstream B190's out there, but the pickings are small for a Ford van in those years with straight sides. Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:50 AM   #3
Platinum Member

After looking a bit more, I found a couple of rare Ford-based models:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...150-5007176952

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...gen-5003686169

Old 04-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #4

Thank you!

I knew it would be difficult, but I'm willing to wait or explore other options. How difficult is it to add a wet bath to a Class B like the ones you linked above?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

How heavy a trailer are you planning to tow? In my opinion the Chevy LWB vans make better tow vehicles than Ford or Dodge. The longer wheelbase and shorter rear overhang make for better stability and sway resistance.. Mine is rated for 8200# with the 6.0L engine and 6-speed with manual shift and tow-haul modes. There are more Chevy conversions to choose from, too. Mine also has a smallish wet bath.

If you’re just thinking of a small fishing boat or something like that, it probably doesn’t matter as much.

For the record, this is the first and only Chevy I’ve ever owned, and I haven’t owned a Ford since the 80’s, so I have no bone to pick in the Ford-Chevy fight... LOL. I do understand brand preferences and experience. I’ve driven both in 15-passenger people-hauling service, and the stability of the Chevy gets my vote, though it’s a beast in a tight parking lot.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Once in a while a Bigfoot Ford based Class B become available: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7....html#post8573
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you!

I knew it would be difficult, but I'm willing to wait or explore other options. How difficult is it to add a wet bath to a Class B like the ones you linked above?
I guess anything is possible, but I don't think that should even be considered. Keep looking until you find what you want and the layout you want. There will be enough to do on a 20 yr. old rv just to get things working properly.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:08 AM   #8

Default Found something interesting

Anybody have any pros/cons for this model? I'm discussing a deal with the owner right now and could use some input.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Odesse...53.m1438.l2649

There is another one in San Francisco that I was looking at, but another buyer put money down on it before I got a chance to check it out.

And yes, I know it's an older model of the E350, but I know Fords really well and am comfortable with the maintenance for these as far back as the early 80s.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Anybody have any pros/cons for this model? I'm discussing a deal with the owner right now and could use some input.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Odesse...53.m1438.l2649

There is another one in San Francisco that I was looking at, but another buyer put money down on it before I got a chance to check it out.

And yes, I know it's an older model of the E350, but I know Fords really well and am comfortable with the maintenance for these as far back as the early 80s.
Here's my take, but it's really yours that counts:

- Older means more things wrong or will go wrong.

- Possibly, no fuel injected engine (I don't miss carburetors).

- No roof a/c (or dash air per seller's note).

- No modern safety features like airbags & anti-lock brakes.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:26 AM   #10

Default Modern Amenities

Those are certainly good points. I hadn't really thought about the safety systems. I'll have to ask the owner about them.

Also, I don't miss carburetors either 😂
Old 04-25-2019, 02:43 AM   #11

Default More modern

How about these guys? They appear to be a bit more aerodynamic and they are newer construction and low miles. 🤷*♂️

Any opinions on the wet bath design here?

These are also much closer to home. I plan to put hands on them this weekend. Price advice would be good as well.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/rvs/d/el-segundo-1993-coachmen-saratoga-rb/6864952457.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/rvs/d/lakewood-1993-coachmen-class-rv-low/6869438641.html
Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
How about these guys? They appear to be a bit more aerodynamic and they are newer construction and low miles. ��*♂️

Any opinions on the wet bath design here?

These are also much closer to home. I plan to put hands on them this weekend. Price advice would be good as well.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...864952457.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...869438641.html
I'd say you're getting warmer.

The second one has a much nicer looking interior in terms of fabric color and cabinets. And low miles, just not as low as the first. However, low miles could mean they sat un-used for long periods (not good) so see it service records are available to show whether or not this occurred. And tires may have good tread, but make sure they are not older than 5-6 years by checking 4-digit manufactured date codes on sidewalls.

Not having owner such a model, I can't speak to the wet bath, but from the pictures it doesn't look like a stand up shower is possible due to sloping of the walls. A separate shower is probably preferable, however, since you could store items there when not needed and they would not be in the way of the toilet. Perhaps someone who's owned an Airstream 190 or similar set up will comment. You'll know more when you see it in person.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #13

Default Stand UP!

Well, a standing shower isn't exactly a requirement for me, it's more an amenity anyway, like the shower itself. After speaking with a few friends who are or have lived the #vanlife, I've determined that my reasons for wanting a wet bath are simply for the added convenience rather than autonomy. That being the case, a stand up shower in a small B class would be nice, but a sitting wet bath is acceptable for me.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be sure to check the manufacturing date codes on the tires when I see them this weekend. I'll google how to read those too, since I don't know how to just yet

To start a new line of questioning, does anybody have experience with a motorcycle hitch rack or other methods of mounting a bike to the rear of their rig? A friend of mine has done this with a dual sport bike and his self built Sprinter live-in van but I haven't had a chance to pick his brain about it. I'll be picking up a Harley Nightster soon and would like to be able to ferry it around with me to use as an around town vehicle when I'm parked in the LA or San Diego area for the weekends.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:39 AM   #14

Default Boiled down like H2O2

It looks like I've got this boiled down to a few models.

Coachmen Saratoga RB,
Airstream B190,
and Odyssey E350

The Bigfoot doesn't have a bunk, so that eliminates it for me.

If anyone knows where to find one of these, please let me know. Also, I could use some guidance on a fair price for these models.

Thanks all!
Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #15
Platinum Member

This newly listed on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Airstr...0AAOSw3qVcybm6
Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
Platinum Member

You may want to check older sprinters. I am 6'3 and just brush the ceiling. They have wet baths and everything else on your list. We bought a 22' 2006 Roadtrek last year and have been very happy with it. I can tow 5000 lbs. I regularly pull a Subaru Forester. The Mercedes diesel gets 22 mpg, 16-18 towing. Very comfortable, standard van width (no slideouts).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1003181850a_HDR.jpg (152.4 KB, 15 views)
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #17
Silver Member

Just a little FYI, if it is of any importance, check out the passenger foot well size on whatever B you end with. We found that the Chevy and GMC was the most generous in this category. We have an '06 Roadtrek on a Sprinter chassis.
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #18
Silver Member

I have a 1987 coachman class b, and it has all the amenities except it does have the micro sit-down shower.
When it's decent out I shower standing outside the rear doors.
Why are you opposed to the wider bodies ?
Mine is a carb on a 351w, but these days for the price difference from going really new, y'all can add a brand new Holly projection or several other brands.
It always amuses me when people say older means more things broke etc.
This has no basis in reality.
Total use and maintenance as well as updates all need to be considered, not to mention original quality.
There are lemon laws for a reason and it ain't cause everything new is better than old.
I've had many problems with many vehicles.far newer than my 1980 John Deere 755 track loader, which starts easy every time and runs like, well....a deer.
No problems.with that EVER.
Older nonelectric vehicles are MUCH easier to fix or to get repaired in rural areas than computerized stuff.
Last fall my 2 year old computerized motorhome fridge that still looks brand new had the computer board die and wreck my food and put me in a problem.spot FOR.A WEEK PLUS.
110 bucks for part plus shipping and labor to repair.
Last year I also bought a new shop fridge. It is a 1957 ge.
That's right, a 19 57/ fifty seven ge.
It works AMAZING, and it is unrestored and i bought from the original owner for THIRTY DOLLARS, cause it looks a little rough.
It's MASSIVE(BIG full-size home fridge), and it will freeze five gallons of water solid as rock in 8 hours.
Even has a never been used ice maker.
No computer though.
I wonder how much money that couple saved in 60 years by having a supposedly slightly less efficient fridge rather than buying and having to service computers(and lose food) on 12 different "newer" fridges over all that time...
I wish I could find an american made 1957 motorhome Fridge to replace my continually dying modern computerized "efficient" one. Although i must say it is quite efficient, as when it's broke it uses no power whatsoever...lol
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:56 AM   #19
Silver Member

I missed.your comment about cycle rack. Those work great.
Im a lifelong motorcycle guy and have moved them about every way possible from racks to all varieties of trailers and in fact even have a small pop-up camper for behind my motorcycle, though I rarely use it.
U shouldn't have trouble finding or building one for a sportster.
You may want to have the ramp extended slightly. I've found many makes have a rather steep ramp incline for a street bike, as they're more often used.to scooters or dirtbikes, and in all honesty an Enduro is a much better all around bike for a rack than a Harley.
If your gonna have a nice Harley along, grab an enclosed trailer to pull and have some extra storage, then bring a jet ski, and some tools too. Lol. The campsites and Walmart parking lots still cost the same.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:20 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Besides the Coachmen M19-RB and Airstream B190, also check out the older Class B's made by PHOENIX CRUISER. They are also nice units and came on the Ford chassis.

I've bought 4 of 5 of my used/older RV's on Craigslist since 2012. They were 1985 New World/InterVec Class B, 1989 Mallard Class B+, 1994 Winnebago Class A and a 1996 Coachmen Class B. They all needed a little bit of work and some maintenance. And a couple needed new tires. But I never spent over $10,000 total, even after repairs, etc..

I really liked the '96 Coachmen Class B. Only reason I sold it was because I came across a '98 Coachmen Starflyte Class B+. I had been looking for one for 5 years, so when I found it I bought it. Coat me $12,500 plus another $3000 for tires and some work.

Good Luck

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote