Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2022, 09:01 PM   #1

Default Newbie re-inheriting a son from Germany...

...and I'm thinking he'll need gradual re-immersion in the U.S. after 30 years. So I thought maybe some R&R (re-entry & repatriation) with an RV.

I've never done RV'ing, and as my whatever-you-call-those-pics shows, I was always more of a long-distance biker...engine-ized. But he's been living with "Sprinter-style" vehicles in the old country as an EMT/paramedic/PA so he at least has a feeling for shepherding such things around.

What do I want to know? Well, for a guy (55+ going on German retirement), what would you all recommend for someone who will be without blue lights and siren but needs to re-discover good ol' USA and has a German license (he may not be staying...)? And the inevitable question: what do you think it'll cost to get rolling?

Thanx for any relatively unbiased objective opine-ing!

Me? I'm 82 and staying right where I am! It's his bag.

J. in CO (a.k.a. "noergler" --German for curmudgeon)
noergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Ask him what he would like to do. If seeing the country, try renting an RV and travel around the USA seeing sites he may enjoy. It is all up to him what he wants to do. If staying long term, look into leasing an RV.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #3

That dawned on me after my first post...renting. That all depends on how reliable an agency is, I suppose, and knowing what to rent. The class B rigs look on the front of it to be the best self-contained(?) setups, so that's why I asked.

Or he may not even want to hit the road! I just assumed he'd need some decompression time after mopping up other people and most recently serving on the Ukraine refugee brigade.

Thanx for that!!

J. in CO
noergler is offline   Reply With Quote