Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Always bring duct tape. We did on the rental. Second trip out after the one mentioned in the first post of this thread (rented the exact same van from the same rental co) for one full week that ended up with three days in horrible torrential rain at the start. The van we trusted on the previous trip leaked in two places and we spent a lot of time inside... All good to learn what you want or don't want in an RV...

Plugged the holes with duct tape. I was concerned my wife would be all done but she said "hey excuse to stay in and do nothing but relax." Also, said she slept the best in years (full roof top AC on). We watched movies, played cards, chess, and hiked in the rain.

Fast forward to now and we are designing plans for a 144 Sprinter camper. Lesson learned is to convince your significant other that this could work... come prepared to deal with issues to help ensure they enjoy the experience. We now know exactly what we want.

Note the second half of the trip was sunny skies, drying out, BBQ and more hiking. Still managed every evening movies with popcorn and card tourneys. Having a mobile cabin in the woods Is awesome. We came back from vacation super relaxed.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 AM   #22
Silver Member

A fellow newbie here Keyne...our 2nd trip on a recently acquired Roadtrek we were near a lake with a moderate amount of bugs. I got a roll of screen fit for a house door and cut them a couple of inches larger than the front windows. Then I used thin sheets of magnets that are perforated to separate into 1" squares, and used them to mount the screen on the outside, spaced about 3" apart all around the opening. Worked for the 3 days we were camping! Until I can find off the shelf ones or convince my wife to use her sewing skills, I'll probably keep using this.
Good luck in finding your dream RV...