Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #1
ACP

Smile Prospective owner .. newb

Have been lurking around and finally registered as we are soon to be owners of a 1996 Dodge 3500 based Roadtrek 190 popular with 255k (km). Price seems to be the factor that is governing most of the decision.

Just saying hi to the membership.

Have checked most of the features on the vehicle for issues (none so far), safety and emissions will be the deal breaker. (ABS light is on).

Any advise will be appreciated as we are newbs to the RV world.
ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

The nice thing about older units is that you can get them for a low price, put some money in and you've got new mechanicals that will last another 20 years.

Pick up a code reader from Princess Auto or Canadian Tire and see what the computer says is wrong. There are many things you can fix yourself and save a bundle of money.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Here's a link to the Trouble Codes, if it will help. It's a downloadable pdf file.

https://edgeproducts.com/app/uploads...cle-pdf-39.pdf
JimDavisHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
ACP

Thanks, the code pdf is a great help. Hoping to get a code reader within the next day or two. Excited, hoping to change to LED bulbs as the first mod.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Platinum Member

A ScanGauge - ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools - likely costs more than a basic code reader but is nice to have. If you consider it then read through the site to confirm compatibility etc.

I bought a ScanGaugeII in 2008 from Gifford Automotive in Canada - Gifford Automotive Home - and I think this is the 6th vehicle I've used it in.

It displays Transmission Fluid Temperature for my van. Also things like RPM, MPH (when in US) & MPG.

Here's a good topic for anyone who has a ScanGauge - http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...auge-2676.html - and wants to display different gauges using the XGauge programming option.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Bronze Member

ACP - Maybe you won't need to buy a code reader. The 94 to 97 Ram Codes should be displayed by turning the ignition on & off a number of times. Sorry, I didn't notice the year on your first post.

Here's another link to the instructions. This may give you some information. It's free, so I figure it's worth a try.

PCM Fault Codes

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
ACP

First mod - Interior LED bulbs. Most of the covers were burned thru. Will order some from ebay and replace. Finding it difficult to remove the round light cover above bed and outside next to door/under awning. any advise?

why doesn't the hood map light(s) (central above engine) not light up while the engine is on. It does light up when I switch the camper secondary battery On. Is this by design?

The vehicle is supposed to run on Propane as well. Any comments on this would be appreciated and I see that the system has been disconnected? if there is no safety issue would like to turn it back on.

ABS light was due to a bad sensor on rear diff, replaced/light gone.
Touch & go for Park brakes light, the pedal seems to be sagging, resulting the light turning on. Mental note to bungee cord it for more tension until a more permanent solution is found.

Will add pics as I go to this thread for future reference.

BTW, thanks for the advise from all the members, tons to read and learn.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
ACP

Just for completeness I am adding the solutions to my Qs above:

1. The awning light switch is the unmarked switch in the panel above the double doors. (together with the pump / battery / tank gauges etc.)
2. Driver/Passenger map light(s) work if you turn the parks/headlight switch all the way to the right or left until it clicks. still to understand the rationality behind this design.
3. Propane for engine - mine is disconnected due to high expenditure on emission certification. I am hoping to remove all the tanks and piping to reduce the dead weight.

Will start a thread with all the issues and mods as I do not see one anywhere that is helpful.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Thanks, the code pdf is a great help. Hoping to get a code reader within the next day or two.
::
The OBD plug is mandatory for vehicles 1996 and onward.

Make sure your RT has an OBD socket before you buy the reader.

ie make sure the RV has a 1996 chassis, not a 1995.

It has been known that some manufacturers purchased last year's chassis late in the year, then build the RV in the new year and sold it as the new year's model.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote