Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #1

Smile Shopping for a class b! Newbies to RV'ing

Hi everyone! Married couple from Vancouver, Canada who just rented our first class B and loved it. We've talked about buying some sort of RV (teardrop? tent camper?) for the past few years, but the size of the bed was always the biggest problem - husband is 6'2".

So, we're shopping around for a class b now, since having a toilet AND a big bed in a vehicle that you can easily park in towns and cities ticks off many of our boxes.
Andra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I am 6’3” with a Carado Banff (Promaster) and I have few issues with bumping my head, I do not feel cramped but maybe I have adapted. The twin bed in my Banff is 75 inches long so I am head to flat foot in bed on my back and I am comfortable on my side. When we make the bed into a king size there is more than enough room. I think the Travato 59k & Coachman Nova has the same bed size and design. In my shower I can fully stand up and turn around which is different than the Roadtrek Simplicity we rented, I had to sit on the toilet to shower.

If he has problems with a Promaster then the Ford chassis vans are 1-2 inches taller but I had bed size problems with them.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Andra!

First, some questions:

Do you want a permanent bed or convertible rear lounge seat that power-reclines into a bed?

One Queen bed or split sleeping arrangement?

Do you want a separate eating area up front or would you be okay setting up the rear lounge seat each morning and eating there (what we do, and it's not a bother to us)?

Whatever you decide, you still need to try the layout in person. I'm 6'2" and the 76" bed in my Airstream Avenue is just long enough. Even an inch or two shorter would have deal-killer for me. And also consider that most class b's have a headboard and footboard of sorts, so there's no hanging your feet off a shorter bed like you could do in a home.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #4

rowiebowie - The rig that looks like it will work best for us is either the Pleasure Way Lexor FL or TS. They have power recliner. I like the FL because we could use the front lounge while having the bed stay set up as a bed.

I'm thinking what might work is two separate fitted sheets (I'd have to custom make them) - one that would fit over the power sofa, one that would fit over the ottomans and bolsters in the bed position - so the smaller one could be popped on and off easily, and the one on the sofa would hopefully just live in place, but allow us to use the sofa in both positions.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

We have the Pleasure Way Lexor FL. (Abbotsford, B.C.)
Very happy with the coach in general and like you we preferred the front lounge model. We are not tall so all the features inside work well for us.
Good luck with your Class B shopping.
Iver
2019 Pleasure Way Lexor FL.
Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #6

We're picking up our Pleasure Way Lexor FL tomorrow!! Happy RV'ing!
Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Congrats- suggest you spend a few hours in the driveway learning all the systems and how to hook up and pack up camp

in the driveway you have access to help if questions

I have a number of clothespins I can attach the the drivers sun visor, labelled:

city water
shorepower
antenna
propane on
dump hose
leveling blocks
cable tv

etc etc

a reminder so i don't drive away with something unstowed ( or connected)

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 PM   #8

I'd love to see a picture of that! Do you turn the clips back to front so you know what's been done and what hasn't?

Unfortunately we don't have a driveway. We are City condo dwellers, and storing the RV at a storage lot.

We are getting a walkthrough from the dealer tomorrow which we're planning on videotaping for future reference.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:09 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andra View Post
I'd love to see a picture of that! Do you turn the clips back to front so you know what's been done and what hasn't?

Unfortunately we don't have a driveway. We are City condo dwellers, and storing the RV at a storage lot.

We are getting a walkthrough from the dealer tomorrow which we're planning on videotaping for future reference.
Enjoy the heck out of your Pleasureway!

My campsite routine doesn't include leaving notes for myself (as I'd probably forget to do it anyway). Instead, my routine is to do a walk-around the vehicle every time looking high & low before we pull out. During that walk I look for items left hooked up, windows/awning/roof vent left open, anything we might have left at our campsite, and finally, I look quickly underneath for any leaks or anything hanging. If all looks good, we're ready to roll.

In the road, always check your tire pressure, watch for low limbs or signs, deep potholes, steep driveways, and always make wide right-hand turns.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Andra, Enjoy your new campervan. We have the similar floorplan in our LTV Free Spirit and find it very comfortable. Nice to have a window in the bath.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #11

Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #12

Wow, you found a Lexor on the dealer lot that was unsold? None in the northeast U.S. we had to order ours. Several dealers allowed us to walk thru sold lexor’s and we were able to drive a Road Trek Zion that got sold the following day. Good for you and let us know how you like the lexor. We have a five month wait.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Murphys Law #17 of RVing

The Cabinet Door you left unlocked, won't fall open & spill the contents until you are in the most difficult traffic possible ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

posting pics is a real pain for me.

I attach the clips to the visor for items f concern, and move them to another place if not pertinent

One reason is if 1 person does something and then the other doesn't know

I have seen a bunch of hook up pedestals dragged by someone moving the rv without checking

or antennas deployed on the highway, which could snap the mast on the crank ups

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #15
JCM

We just picked up our Leisure Travel Van RTB Wonder (made by Triple E in Winkler Manitoba) - sold by Fraserway. Love it even though it is much smaller than our 40 footer we traded in. We can drive around Vancouver and park on the street at our relatives in Richmond.
Look at their web page -- tripleerv.com
Have fun.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #16
Gold Member

Default Class B and B+

Quote:
Hi everyone! Married couple from Vancouver, Canada who just rented our first class B and loved it. We've talked about buying some sort of RV (teardrop? tent camper?) for the past few years, but the size of the bed was always the biggest problem - husband is 6'2".

So, we're shopping around for a class b now, since having a toilet AND a big bed in a vehicle that you can easily park in towns and cities ticks off many of our boxes.
Hello we have a Travato K59 and love the beds. Tall enough. We found a Wonder class b+ that is really nice but a bit pricy. There is a new company in Quebec making class B's for taller and I cannot remember their name, but are setting them up for colder weather. Be ready to spend more as the B's are now very popular and have been going up in price. Best wishes.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #17

Andra, we have 2017 Winnebago Era 70A, that is the floorplan with a big bed in the rear. The bed is longer than my 6'2 frame and is more comfortable than we expected it to be.
However we have a love hate relationship with the Era. The Mercedes side of the equation has been great, very reliable, smooth, good mileage, comfortable seats! The coach part (Winnebago) has just been very poor workmanship with many problems. Unfortunately Winnebago only offers a one year/15,000 mile warranty. I know why now because they would be out of business if they offered anything longer. Having said all of that we still like the Era and have gone all over the US with it and dealt with the issues adequately. Another point to consider. I recommend staying with a diesel powered RV such as the Mercedes based or Ford based. The Travato has a Fiat/Ram gas engine and transmission. Any research you do on Fiat and Chrysler will not be encouraging. I personally would never buy any vehicle with a Fiat anything!
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #18

Thanks everyone! We went with a Pleasure Way Lexor FL!

Were taking it out for our first overnight trip today!
Old 07-25-2020, 09:55 PM   #19

Please let us know how you like it!
Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #20
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYRuss View Post
Andra, we have 2017 Winnebago Era 70A, that is the floorplan with a big bed in the rear. The bed is longer than my 6'2 frame and is more comfortable than we expected it to be.
However we have a love hate relationship with the Era. The Mercedes side of the equation has been great, very reliable, smooth, good mileage, comfortable seats! The coach part (Winnebago) has just been very poor workmanship with many problems. Unfortunately Winnebago only offers a one year/15,000 mile warranty. I know why now because they would be out of business if they offered anything longer. Having said all of that we still like the Era and have gone all over the US with it and dealt with the issues adequately. Another point to consider. I recommend staying with a diesel powered RV such as the Mercedes based or Ford based. The Travato has a Fiat/Ram gas engine and transmission. Any research you do on Fiat and Chrysler will not be encouraging. I personally would never buy any vehicle with a Fiat anything!
Having a Travato, I feel Dodge did a good job. I see many Dodge Model 3500 Trucks and Vans, and found that people, and the ones I know love these vehicles. Fiat is Fiat but, I can say similar things about Ford, and Chevy. I have owned all of these makes. I am selling off a my Mercedes, and done with all that high cost of maintenance. I will come in a year, and do a follow up on the Dodge. LOL The dealer has great doing on minor fixes on my RV coach.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote