Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #1
Site Team

Default 100 kWh house battery, anybody?

Well, sort of:

Today Volvo announced their new EX90 EV.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/ex90-electric/

Volvo has announced that they will be an all-electric car company by 2030, and this is their first designed-from-scratch electric-only vehicle on their new SPA3 platform. All in all it is pretty impressive, but what caught my eye was the fact that this vehicle will have a bidirectional charging port; i.e., it will be capable of sourcing current from the vehicle's main battery. This is intended primarily for smart-power-grid applications, but they say it can also be used to power your house during a power failure, power external devices, and even charge another Volvo.

So...
Imagine using this car as a toad, or use it to tow a camping trailer, and you will be set with off-grid power for a LONG time. And, when you DO run out, the nearest EV charging station will get you from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes.

(Well, it is probably a bit large as a B-van toad, but smaller versions will surely follow pretty quickly).

This is pretty provocative, I think.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, sort of:

Today Volvo announced their new EX90 EV.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/ex90-electric/

Volvo has announced that they will be an all-electric car company by 2030, and this is their first designed-from-scratch electric-only vehicle on their new SPA3 platform. All in all it is pretty impressive, but what caught my eye was the fact that this vehicle will have a bidirectional charging port; i.e., it will be capable of sourcing current from the vehicle's main battery. This is intended primarily for smart-power-grid applications, but they say it can also be used to power your house during a power failure, power external devices, and even charge another Volvo.

So...
Imagine using this car as a toad, or use it to tow a camping trailer, and you will be set with off-grid power for a LONG time. And, when you DO run out, the nearest EV charging station will get you from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes.

(Well, it is probably a bit large as a B-van toad, but smaller versions will surely follow pretty quickly).

This is pretty provocative, I think.

Bidirectional will probably be good selling point. I think some of the electric pickups have some 110v outlets they will run for tools and such, but probably nothing compared to full birectional.

A good fallback would be if the the power to the RV, if used as a toad, could be bidirectional also so you could recover some capacity in the toad from the van alternator. You probably could also charge the battery by using power from the toad itself like in regenerative braking while being towed.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It's a great idea, but at 6200 pounds, the EX90 is a heavy toad. Even the lightest EVs are way over what my PW can tow. Towing a trailer with a big EV is an option, but expect the electric range to be cut in half.