Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
Booster, did you install a Isotherm Smart Energy Control Kit? They say it cuts battery use in half.

I have watched them over the years and didn't particularly care for how they did things, but the latest version (don't recall the model number) looked like just what we would want.

Unfortunately, it will not work on our earlier generation compressor control board, so we are either out of luck or have to spend a lot on a new control board, it appears.

If we were getting a current generation, we certainly would get the latest version, as it look like a good design.

One of our criteria in looking at the controllers was to make sure that a manual thermostat could be wired in parallel but not connected, or turned off at a switch, so a failed controller wouldn't ruin a trip for us. And I am pretty sure the newest versions would be able to be setup that way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
Silver Member

Booster, thanks for the info.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Roadtrek's installation is lousy. But add some computer fans to blow air over the coils and the Dometic will run great even in the southwest in summer. You have to close off the two lower vents in the upper vent panel so the air blows over the finned condenser tube. I did this to our 2001 200V about 15 years ago.

The fans reduce the duty cycle, saving power. I refitted our van with a 200 ah battery. I don't worry about leaving the fridge running on the battery for a couple of hours.

The propane burner takes a few long seconds to light. It should be quite reliable.

We don't fuss much with getting the van super level. We boondock quite a lot.

Bill
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #24

I replaced a Dometic RM8505 with a CRX110; if I looked at the dimensions correct ly the CRX110 is fractions of an inch smaller than a RM2333; Might be an option.

Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

I only have 1 house battery in my 1995 dodge class B. How would the new fridge work while boon docking?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #26

I installed mine this past January.

Best I've been able to determine mine uses between 40 and 60 ahrs per day (24hrs); I keep it on the coldest setting most of the time and it can be pretty hot in NC; prior to replacing the refrigerator I averaged 50 to 70ahrs per day, now I'm 80 to 130;

I normally keep the gas off thats worth about 14ahrs per day; the 130ahr days were this past October at Pisgah Campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway (elevation around 5,700 ft); it was just above freezing at night so the gas was on and the furnace ran quiet a bit.

Most of the time that the refrigerator is running it draws 3.4 amps.

At Pisgah I ran my generator an 1 hr and half each day to charge the batteries; was there 3 nights.

So one house battery would be pretty difficult unless you find one a lot more efficient than my CRX110 Dometic.

Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I got a 2015 190P in september in houston and travelled with it in texas Georgia and back home to Florida. I thought about immediately replacing the dometic fridge, but i decided to wait, and i'm glad i did... I know people have had lots of problems with these units, but mine is working very well... When i am leaving on a trip, i put 2 blue ice containers in the lower 2 shelves of the fridge, set it to DC and by the time i arrive at my destination, the freezer has frozen the ice cubes in the tray and everything is very cold in the fridge. Of course, i switch to propane as soon as i get there.

the thing i like most, is the improved ability to boondock. the fridge uses very little electricity on propane, leaving me the amp hours to run other things such as the computers, tablets and other electrical accoutrements i travel with... In the moring, the batteries have usually gone down to 3/4 or 2/3's and the solar has them back up to 100% by early or mid morning.

I have had TT's in the past with problematic dometics, so i understand the other side of the equation also..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfsohn View Post
I got a 2015 190P in september in houston and travelled with it in texas Georgia and back home to Florida. I thought about immediately replacing the dometic fridge, but i decided to wait, and i'm glad i did... I know people have had lots of problems with these units, but mine is working very well... When i am leaving on a trip, i put 2 blue ice containers in the lower 2 shelves of the fridge, set it to DC and by the time i arrive at my destination, the freezer has frozen the ice cubes in the tray and everything is very cold in the fridge. Of course, i switch to propane as soon as i get there.

the thing i like most, is the improved ability to boondock. the fridge uses very little electricity on propane, leaving me the amp hours to run other things such as the computers, tablets and other electrical accoutrements i travel with... In the moring, the batteries have usually gone down to 3/4 or 2/3's and the solar has them back up to 100% by early or mid morning.

I have had TT's in the past with problematic dometics, so i understand the other side of the equation also..
Nice to hear good news on a propane fridge. I'd guess it's because Roadtrek did the installation right (providing good ventilation).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 AM   #29
Silver Member

The problem with my dometic unit is the flame blows out when I'm on the road. I tried putting a plate in front of it but that didn't work either. How can I turn up the pressure to increase the flame because I do run it at maximum setting and it still goes out.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #30
Bronze Member

I love my Rialta however hated the efficiency of my Fridge.

It took 8 hours to cool down on AC Power plugged in and would drain a battery before you knew it.

Didn't want to bother with the propane feature or routine cleaning required of burner.

Researching I found out there was not a new fridge available to fit the area.

I have a high quality portable fridge for my work van that I've used for years.

It uses a Danfoss BD35 compressor for cooling. It's quite efficient.

Never has caused a problem plugged into my start battery even on 95 degree days.

I found a cooling unit easy to modify my existing Rialta fridge using the same technology.

Adler/Barbour CS-NC-15 Super Compact cooling kit . Normal Refrigeration Capacity: 8.8 cubic feet

Easy to install. Just cut a 8 X 12 rectangle in back of old fridge and fasten with 6 screws. You're done.

The cooling unit is inside of fridge ( about 2 inches deep ) and compressor is outside ( back of fridge).

I cut off all the pipes and old cooling apparatus. The new unit uses the old switches and fuse.

Within 30 minutes it cools down to fridge temps. Within a couple hours it gets to freezing.

$700 for unit You'll find it online.

Email: clcjr54@hotmail.com
Chuck711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #31
Silver Member

Chuck 711,. Thanks I'll check it out.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #32

Hi I have a Nova Kool 12 volt compressor refrigerator ,amazing how fast it cools and you can be on a 30 degree angle and not have a problem. Ice cream stays frozen,
rognadeau@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognadeau@gmail.com View Post
Hi I have a Nova Kool 12 volt compressor refrigerator ,amazing how fast it cools and you can be on a 30 degree angle and not have a problem. Ice cream stays frozen,
I too am satisfied with my Nova Kool. I find some (5-10 degree) fluctuations in temps, however, I attribute that mostly to imprecise thermostat or our use patterns.

I had to add more ventilation through the installation of a fan since the compartment was not adequately ventilated by Airstream. I haven't yet traveled in hot weather, but on my driveway the compartment could reach 120 degrees on hot days or when that side is in the sun. In addition to the fan, I added insulation which cut temperatures by 10 degrees. Now, when the temperature behind the fridge reaches 100 degrees, the fan comes on and stays on until it cools back down to 85. Will still try and avoid hot weather trips, but I'm hoping that what I've done helps.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #34
Silver Member

I just ordered an isotherm 3 cubic foot. Will let you know how it functions this summer. thanks for all the help.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:39 AM   #35
Bronze Member

Hi, I had a 12vdc Nova Kool 6800 two door model for a while and as stated above, it cooled fast and was trouble free running on batteries. It did not matter what the cabin level was, it worked.

Just this morning I placed an order for a 12vdc one door 4.2 cf Vitrifrigo refrigerator only, no freezer. Freezer is separate. It's going in our van. Will be happy to report back.

For those looking to replace older non working units, Vitrifrigo has an extensive line with no rear condenser looping coils. A wide variety of sizes to choose from. They use a small heat exchanger with fan blowing past core and compressor. I chose a model with external heat exchanger that will be housed under bed in storage area. This allows me to fully insulate the box without dealing with rear coils or heat exchanger behind box.

Santiago
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #36

Santiago - How is the one door 4.2 cf Vitrifrigo C115IBD4-F working out for you! what the the exact Cut Out Dimensions, i'm thinking of replacing my 3-way Dometic on my Roadtrek.
photochefs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photochefs88 View Post
Santiago - How is the one door 4.2 cf Vitrifrigo C115IBD4-F working out for you! what the the exact Cut Out Dimensions, i'm thinking of replacing my 3-way Dometic on my Roadtrek.
Hi David,

I purchased the Vitrifrigo C130 without the built-in freezer and stainless flush mounted door, both options $. I did not want AC option but it comes that way. Bought from Sure Marine in Seattle for $950 + like $140 shipping to Orange County CA.

Aside from the size, I chose this unit for its use of a separate, remote, compressor/heat exchanger combo attached to fridge with its insulated freon umbilical line. The external compressor/heat exchanger combo can be placed away from fridge but not by much. Normally it's embedded in the rear which eats fridge capacity. With the detached combo the fridges' outer walls are clean and can be stuffed into a cabinet with no need for air gaps and in some cases surrounded by additional external insulation. You can not do this with a rear mounted compressor/heat exchanger as it requires air flow. My compressor/heat exchanger will be accessible and have airflow to and from cabin.

The unit will not be installed for a couple of months as I have many other projects demanding my time. I have run the unit on AC, soon DC when finished building the battery bank on the test bench. The external compressor/heat exchanger combo is very quiet, almost undetectable. To run at 40F internal (as a refrigerator only) I had to set dial to 1, 8 being highest. Unit was empty. Remember no freezer. The door handle is marine latch type and very solid. Without the built in freezer refrigerator capacity is 4.2 cubic feet.

Per Virtrifrigo cutout dimensions is as follow::

560mm, 22.1" Depth
540mm, 21.3" Width
768mm, 30.3" Height

See their link: C130L (external cooling unit) - Camper/Caravan - Vitrifrigo

For some reason my stainless flush door has an indented commercial type latch different from the one shown on link above.

Good luck,

Santiago
Old 05-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #38
Platinum Member

This thread is a bit old, but is right down the alley for my question. Like the original poster, I've got a Roadtrek - in my case a 2004 Chevy 190P. I am trying to find a compressor 12V replacement for my existing Dometic RM2353. Rough opening approx. 29 3/4H x 20 1/2W x 21 1/2D. The one unit that appears to be a good fit is the Nova Kool RM4500, but that unit has been around for a while. Any suggestions? Thanks, Steve
Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #39

I've got a 2007 Roadtrek Agile SS - in my case, I swap out my existing Dometic 3-way with an isotherm freeline 115 elegance, I like the freezer size, Dimensions (LxHxD) 525x794x495mm
It is AC/DC compressor electric-refrigerator-freezer. The Vitrifrigo C130 is couple hundred dollars cheaper, but 1/2 inches too wide for my space!
photochefs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Thanks for that. Are you happy with the fridge?
It is hard to tell if the 115 will fit in my existing space. The Isotherm specs aren't really clear what the rough opening should be, nor am I clear on what rough opening I have now. Not in a hurry to remove the fridge to measure. I'll keep searching for this info. Steve