Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2021, 02:19 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
RV Geeks are using an Extend-A-Stay which is precisely the device that I don’t have space to install.

Question: Why do people think that the RV tank’s integrated regular is such a superior option to a secondary regulator? Is it simply because the regulations and/or NFPA standards say that any branching should be situated behind it, or is there some other reason? Because those things are crap, basically. I never go anywhere without a spare regulator onboard because I’ve heard so many grim stories about them failing on the road.
Good point on the RV tank regulator - most are poor quality. I had mine changed by Airstream on recall due to leak issues.

I think your setup through a quick connect fitting is very workable. My newer Interstate already has all the van side plumbing with a quick connect fitting behind the rear wheel for connecting an outside grill. All I would need to duplicate your setup is a tank, regulator and hose.

- - Mike
Old 02-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
RV Geeks are using an Extend-A-Stay which is precisely the device that I don’t have space to install.

Question: Why do people think that the RV tank’s integrated regular is such a superior option to a secondary regulator? Is it simply because the regulations and/or NFPA standards say that any branching should be situated behind it, or is there some other reason? Because those things are crap, basically. I never go anywhere without a spare regulator onboard because I’ve heard so many grim stories about them failing on the road.
For an extend-a-stay type add-on it's probably just convenience, low cost, easy installation and no questions likely about rules and regulation compliance to tap in before the RV's regulator. I just checked Amazon (Canada) and it's approximately US$60 for a complete 4 port setup (threaded) including two hoses, one for inflow and one for portable grills.

Boxster's Airstream must have the Quick Disconnect on the low pressure side. Roadtrek's used to have a Quick Disconnect at 10psi ........ I guess the tap in was placed between a high pressure regulator and a low pressure regulator ? ?

Back to back male QD fittings as the bridge between two female QD's would still defeat the safety intent of the flow direction indicators and increase then number of potential failure points but avoid leaving open ended fittings on the tank and cylinder sides when all is disconnected. It should help avoid odor from open ended hoses too.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Yes - there is a low pressure propane quick disconnect behind the RH rear wheels on all Airstream Interstates since about 2010. I use mine for an outside grill mounted on a bracket above the propane fitting.

A lot of Winnebago models with propane also have these fittings.

Using a dual male quick disconnect jumper hose with a female quick fitting on the auxiliary tank side might reduce the risk of opening the tank valve to an open line - but adds another potential leak point.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #44
Platinum Member

As an aside to this thread, I've reproduced a portion of a letter below from the Galveston County Judge to the Texas legislature, which is currently in session and which is taking up the issue of our grid failure on an emergency basis.

Not here on Class B Forum, but in other venues, I've been dumped on for not preparing for this thing and then slapping together a somewhat inelegant van generator remote fueling solution in real time when it should have been thought through and made ready in advance.

Well, public officials lied to us in multiple successive ways - that's not an exaggeration. DH and I have come through three major hurricanes unscathed - we know how to deal with a major disaster when we have access to accurate information. But it's basically impossible to deploy an appropriate preparation when we are told everything EXCEPT the truth of the situation.

I'm not sure what the practical take-away should be for Class B owners ("be ready for anything" is arguably too general to be actionable), but here's the excerpt:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not here on Class B Forum, but in other venues, I've been dumped on for not preparing for this thing and then slapping together a somewhat inelegant van generator remote fueling solution in real time when it should have been thought through and made ready in advance.
We all looked at it. The conclusion is your solution meets all criteria, even the direction of flow. The purpose of the flow arrow is to have the higher pressure at the base of the arrow when not connected, which it does. Tell your critics to go pound sand.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
We all looked at it. The conclusion is your solution meets all criteria, even the direction of flow. The purpose of the flow arrow is to have the higher pressure at the base of the arrow when not connected, which it does. Tell your critics to go pound sand.
I'll mention that I still have reservations about the setup for the long term.

- flow direction
- access to valve under the van
- Quick Disconnect a bit under the van
- Natural Gas parts (might be dual fuel parts)
- number and sequence of steps that have to be remembered

For emergency use it worked and that's what mattered. I do understand why it was done that way. If the next use is many years distant then there's a chance it won't work if seals age and crack or the QD under the van gets fouled etc.

Ideally, the temporary connection would be easily accessed and monitored.

On my van for example, the propane tank's shutoff valve/gas outlet is a female POL thread. One wrench & soapy water is all that would be needed to switch over to a portable cylinder and do the leak test. It might need an extension hose which I have fittings for but I think there's space to place a portable cylinder close enough as is.

As InterBlog mentioned though, there's no criticism here about lack of preparedness here for the extreme weather and Texas grid event.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Rube Goldberg was here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CEAFE6F-C735-43FA-9767-E7046055F7F5.jpg (222.4 KB, 14 views)
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #48
Platinum Member

I like that Very clever solution to the not enough space available on the right hand side problem. Is it yours? In addition to supplying a portable stove or grill when the tank valve is open, you could supply the coach when the tank valve is closed via a 1lb bottle or use a 20lb cylinder using an adapter so it is versatile.

When choosing fittings maximum BTU anticipated would factor in as I'd assume too much restriction could lessen output.

From memory, I've installed extend-a-stays on 3 RV's now. I've gotten the most use from supplying the coach feature with larger RV's. The supplying a grill or stove feature was not used much on those larger RV's but is great on a Class B if propane tank size is sufficient to meet needs.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Right now, the two pending revisions are:

(1) Two-stage regulator on the external propane bottle (not available for sale during the freeze last week).

(2) A second isolation valve inserted into the line adjacent to the QD. That in order to shut off that entire new line whenever there is NOT a propane bottle hooked up to it, such that I don't have to shimmy all the way under the van to close off the line. Seasonally I can close the chassis valve where it initially T's off the distribution system (way under the van). But in short-term situations, I would prefer a layer of redundancy on the QD.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote