Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2021, 01:37 AM   #1

Default 190 Popular - manual crank for the awning?

So this morning I took my 2015 190p out after being parked for a few days. I started my engine, to let it run for a minute while I prepared to pull out. I went to retract the awning and it wouldn't move. Checked the battery, checked the fuse, all good. So now I need to troubleshoot a bit. Turned off the engine, checked a couple other things and tried again and it worked fine.

Would the awning motor be disconnected when the chassis ignition is on? Nothing about this in the manual, but it seems like it is. If this is somebody's idea of a safety feature, then so be it, but why isn't it documented?

Which leads me to my question. If for whatever reason the awning won't retract by motor, how can I manually crank it? This also isn't in the owner's manual. Can't move it with the awning out, so there must be a way.
danpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

power awning will have an interlock

which circuit they used to sense I dunno, could be motor off or Park or parking brake or ?

but I have seen the result of an awning deploying on the road...it grabbed a tree

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
Silver Member

On my Carefree, the forward end-cap comes off exposing a female socket. A 3/8” sized ratchet with extension is inserted and you manually crank the awning back in. Perhaps yours has a variant of that?
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
power awning will have an interlock

which circuit they used to sense I dunno, could be motor off or Park or parking brake or ?

but I have seen the result of an awning deploying on the road...it grabbed a tree

Mike
I did hear from a mechanic, that the awning switch is disabled when the ignition is on. Seems odd, but ok. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHueg View Post
On my Carefree, the forward end-cap comes off exposing a female socket. A 3/8” sized ratchet with extension is inserted and you manually crank the awning back in. Perhaps yours has a variant of that?
I stumbled upon this around the same time as reading this reply. But I unscrewed the end piece and I was able to retract but not extend the awning with the 3/8" rachet. It was a little slow and awkward but it worked. I then noticed the tabs on the circular cutout and tried it that was a well, but the tabs are so thin and brittle that 2 of the 4 tabs broke even with gentle handling.

So I now I'll keep a ratchet in my road took kit just in case. Good to know. Thank you for the reply.

Tags
awning manual crank