Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

Default 1986 Chevy 20 Get-a-way Van

My RV battery is no longer being charged when I plug in to an electric outlet. I am currently charging it with a battery charger - very inconvenient. I can't find any way to access the "workings" as it is a closed box below the sink and the panel on the front cannot be removed. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to access? or, am I looking in the wrong place? There's got to be a simple way to resolve this problem (I hope). Any help is greatly appreciated.
jillianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 1986 Chevy 20 Get-a-way Van

If it is a sealed part using odd bolt heads or rivets then there are likely no easily serviceable parts in there.

This link on converter/chargers has a treasure trove of information: http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/ConverterInfo.html
You might be able to find a photo of your exact converter/charger. There are user manuals and troubleshooting info on that site as well.

First thing I'd try to find would be the 120v AC main coach circuit breaker and the 120v AC converter/charger circuit breaker to make sure neither has tripped.
Second thing would be to check the main fuses on the converter/charger.

I realize you have to find them first.

Typically you'll have a 120v AC panel and a 12v panel with fuses. Often they are combined side by side in one housing. Wish I could be of more help. Definitely check http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/ConverterInfo.html as he has info dating back to the 1960's on his site.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the information and the link. I have tried to find "anything" that will lead me to what I am looking for but all is sealed in the one box under the sink which I have not been able to access. My Van is Canadian made so if anyone out there can tell me what type of converter is in this brand, or if it is hidden somewhere other than in the sealed box, it would be a help also. Meantime, I am going to do some real digging around under the sink area to see if there is anything besides the electrical plug for the fridge - all that I have been able to locate so far. Thanks again for your input. I have a bunch of wires going to the RV Battery and several of them have fuses in line - checked and all are OK.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Maybe if you post a photo of the box someone will be able to identify it.

Electrical stuff is usually accessible because you need to be able to replace fuses or reset circuit breaker etc.
You might be able to narrow down the charger location using your ears. Plug the van into 110v electricity and listen for a humming or slight buzzing sound. Often they make a bit of noise.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Thanks - will try the listening bit and will take a photo and post.