Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Good point. I still feel limber and my cousin has offered to help me learn about the systems. I hate to give the $$ away now, and agree that a brand new one makes sense at an older age.
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRed View Post
I want to thank everyone for the ideas and input. I'm going to let this "opportunity" pass me by and probably buy a more expensive/newer one. Maybe in the $40-50K range won't make me feel so much is being lost from retirement savings. Thanks again, folks.
You can buy a VERY GOOD one for $40-50K !
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Nobody has mentioned the passenger safety measures missing on older units. Airbags, for example, could mean you live to see retirement.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #24
Bronze Member

I have begun to do some research on motor home safety and Dodge Ram safety. You bring up a good point, but one has to know the rate of motor home accidents and consider the risks. I am still checking this. Thanks so much for the concern.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:50 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Okay, based on my research, the airbags are not the problem. Roadtrek even today does not have SRS for other than the front two seats. I wrote them to check this.

The greatest problem with the RVS is the potential for the back part to come aloose and become projectiles. Roadtrek said that its testing exceeded govt. standards but again one can see that if there are few govt. standards, this is a risk. And there seem to be no real standards on the projectiles.

Another issue for Class B safety is that of fire. Gasoline and propane are highly flammable and leaks can catch on fire. What about the surfaces inside the vehicle? It seems that it is much safer to have an rv with no gas or propane at all. The all-diesel would be the best.

Further, MB Sprinters are likely safer than the cutaway vehicles because MB Sprinters are only allowed specific modifications.

Consequently, it's most likely that the safest thing is an all-diesel Sprinter base. I still don't know how to compare the older and the newer ones, but the fact of your having brought up this point helped me look at the RV purchase from a safety standpoint. Thank you.

Tags
1986 roadtrek, renovation