Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1

Default 1991 Sun Sport

I got bit by the class-b bug and made a deal on a 1991 Sun Sport. It sits on a Ford E-250 chassis, about 20' feet long and seems to have everything a person needs to travel and camp. Any of you folks have experience with this model or year of Ford chassis and willing to provided some do's and don'ts?

Thanks,
Ronnie Warren
Littleton, CO
traversing@yahoo.com
traversing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
sds

Default Re: 1991 Sun Sport

And I just made a deal to get it back!! Woohoo!

Just have to wait until September when I will have a chance to go bring it home. If anyone has ANY information on this model I'm all ears. I can't find anything about it.

SDS
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Platinum Member

It looks like it is in really good condition. Is it the one that was listed for sale in Washington?

I saw one ad that branded it an "Xplorer" but I don't know how accurate that is. It doesn't look like the Xplorers I've previously seen.
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/list ... .-97114474
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Saw something like it recently at a Walmart near us, possibly a boondocking construction worker
was our guess as we saw it a few times over the last 2 months while they were remodelling.
I took some really poor pics with my cell camera. I'm pretty sure it was badged an Xplorer.
The pics were poor so I deleted them. If I see it again, I'll have another look.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
sds

I gave all of the paperwork to Traversing when I sold it to him a few months ago. I'll have to take a closer look at it when I get it back. I don't think it had any badges on it saying Explorer. Sun Sport was all I remember being on it.

I bought it in Oklahoma and that is where I live. Traversing has it in Colorado right now. It's got everything we needed I was just hoping to find something a little larger so the whole family would have more room. I just wasn't happy with anything I found in the price range I was looking at.

I think I'll do a few mods to this one when I get her back. We named her the Flamingo Flyer (inside joke with the kids). I'm going to pull out the carpet and replace it with the vinyl flooring that looks like wood planks. Allure?? I also snagged a couple of captains chairs. I only need one of them but they came as a pair.

I'm excited at the prospect of getting it back.
SDS
Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

We bought the Sun Sport Class B van that was listed in RVTrader in Washington. It's the 1991 Ford Sun Sport. Had lots of cosmetic work to do inside but all the van mechanics and camper parts work. It didn't come with any info or manuals so we're kind of in the dark. Luckily, my husband is a mechanic and good with electric and propane issues if we ever have any. Our first trip will be in a couple weeks so we'll see how things go. If anyone has any of the owner manuals it would be great if they would share. I'm not too impressed with the way Sun Sport did the conversion. Not the best quality of conversion work that I've seen, but we got it for a decent price, lower than the ad price by a good bit. Hubby loved it as he's 6'3" and can stand up in it, wasn't what I wanted but it's growing on me!! The only thing we haven't been able to find is a new face plate for the cooktop, or a new cooktop that matches what's in there. It's pitted due to not being taken care of properly.
dobe diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
sds

Dobediva, I'll look to see what manuals are with mine when I go get it next week. I'm getting excited about getting it back. Also maybe a little excited about getting to spend a few days flyfishing in Colorado too.

SDS
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #8

Thanks! We'll be taking our first trip next week, about 360 miles each way so will be a good test!!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #9

Just got back from our first trip. Went to Spirit Lake, Idaho, a round trip of well over 700 miles. The van ran perfectly. Everything worked and other than over-packing )))))) and the fact that the beds could be a bit more comfy it went really well. It is a little cramped at night with the two of us and two big dogs (around 70# each) and one that "must" sleep on the bed with me , but that's to be expected. I did find a little paperwork before we left that had scanty info on the unit. When I got insurance I found out it's made by Gulfstream (seems someone on the forum had asked). Not sure if we'll get another trip in this fall or not (lots to do at home before winter) but if we do it will be to a closer destination. That was one long haul with all the Seattle-Tacoma traffic, two passes, etc., especially for a 3 day total trip. It was a family reunion/birthday "bash" for my hubby and his sister. He got to see cousins and an aunt and uncle he hadn't seen for about 30 years and I got to go for my first trip in 6 years!!! I am thinking that I might like a bigger unit but my hubby loves it as it's easy to maneuver in traffic and to get in and out of places. Happy Camping to all of you...)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
sds

I just got home with the SunSport last night. Mechanically the trip was just fine. It's having problems switching to the rear fuel tank and there are little things I'm going to be working on but I'm glad to have it back and looking forward to changing a few things up.

Traversing still has the paperwork but is mailing it to me. I'll let you know when I get it and will see if there is any other information in it.

Now I just have to decide where to start working on it!

SDS