Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

Default 1995 Leisure way

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/r...133135700.html
I am considering this Van, any input is welcome. Have not owned a class b but am liking the size. Newly retired so just wife and I. Are these rigs good? Pitfalls/favorable?
1Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Plowboy View Post
I am considering this Van, any input is welcome. Have not owned a class b but am liking the size. Newly retired so just wife and I. Are these rigs good? Pitfalls/favorable?
Welcome to the forum 1Plowboy!

I do not own such a model, but here is my advice (for what it's worth):

- Just know there are scam listings on Craigslist (and other places), so if anything smells fishy be extra cautious.

- It looks in good shape, but everything looks better in pictures than in person.

- You're looking at a 25 yr. old vehicle and house combined. If you lack expertise in cars or rv's, take someone (maybe several someone's) with you that can help evaluate the condition of both the chassis and coach.

- Rust (if more than surface rust is present) is a deal-killer in my opinion. So go underneath to have a look.

- Expect some mechanical problems on such an old and complicated vehicle. Not deal-killers if in otherwise good condition, just maybe an opporturnity to get something off the asking price.

- At the very least expect shocks, tires (could be old if not worn out), and brakes to need service as with any vehicle of that age.

- In the coach area expect to replace with fresh battery (or batteries) and take time to test functions of all appliances and water systems. That includes fresh water pump and dump valves.

- Finally, if it has a generator have them start it and run for an extended period like 20-30 minutes with and without a load (like roof ac). Some generators start fine and then stumble or stall later due to fuel pump problems. Low hours is as bad or worse than high hours of use. I've heard of many problems with generators with low hours not run enough to keep them in good condition. Stangely, I don't recall ever hearing of a highly used generator being a problem. They like to be run.

Many Dodge chassis seem to keep running forever and are well regarded. Some sloppy steering issues for which there are solutions.

Let us know how it goes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

good looking older unit

good advice above

the advantages on a class b are MPG, ease of driving, ease of parking- in all other aspects just about any RV is a better value

so evaluate your use

the dodge was used for many many class b models and people like them!

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Opps, I noticed a possible red flag. It is listed as a Leisure way. No such thing.

There are Leisure Travel vans and Pleasure Way vans. No Leisure way. An owner would know that.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Opps, I noticed a possible red flag. It is listed as a Leisure way. No such thing.

There are Leisure Travel vans and Pleasure Way vans. No Leisure way. An owner would know that.

It is a Leisure Travel 1995 by appearance and rear tire cover, so that is which way it goes. The license plate shows Washington state so that matches. Phone number shows a cell phone in Seattle. Phone number search brought up one used car ad that certainly was written like a used car dealer would, so might be a curbstoneing dealer.

Probably not a scam as long as you contact the phone and not the Craigslist email.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #6

Default 1995 Leisure way

We have owned both a 1997 and now a 2000 leisure Travel Van and have had many wonderful trips with them.
The potential issues you may experience are the Genset (as previously mentioned) and the handling. Any repairs on a Genset are very expensive and difficult to get someone to work on them.
The handling can usually be fixed with GOOD shocks, steel sidewall tires, front end alignment as published in one of their Technical Bulletin, and steering adjustment per Technical Service Bulletin #19-002-01 REV. A.
The rest of the van, construction wise, is vertually bullet proof assuming fridge, stove, pump etc. and previously suggested things check out.
One other thing to check; the Dodge tranny was not really heavy enough to tow anything, so make sure the van has not been used to tow anything heavier than a small boat. Most class B owners do not tow however I have seen them with a car being towed.
Good luck and enjoy.
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Gold Member

Sleeps three or four? Nope not likely unless midgets
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeehlert View Post
Sleeps three or four? Nope not likely unless midgets
Good catch.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Plowboy, That rig looks like a 1995 Leisure Travel Freedom, made by a quality Canadian company. It apppears the brand decals have been removed. The 4 front seats can be converted into beds (probably best suited for kids.) It looks clean and in good shape for a 25-yr old unit. If it checks out mechanically, it could be a good deal. Good advice from PrairieBoy above. Here's link to owners manual. https://leisurevans.com/owners/manuals/
Old 06-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #10

The ad is still up but they haven't responded to my replies (3).
1Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Looks like the suspension is sagging, but could be the way it was built.
That kitchen cabinet drawer looks either broken or off track.
1995 has the 5.9l magnum engine known for manifold gasket issues leading to catastrophic engine failure. Have mechanic check it out first, as a proper repair is $1000 if leaking.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Plowboy View Post
They are wonderful rigs, especially if you can do some general maintenance yourself.
We have a '97 with over 300,000km on it and it runs perfectly.
There's a specific Facebook Group for those models with tons of help, look for the group "Leisure Travel Freedom Widebody".
Advantages are: It's a widebody, so there's lots of sleeping room on the back bed. It's only 19 feet long, so it's classified as a car in most places and ferry charges, etc. are cheap. You can drive it almost anywhere and park it anywhere. If you can boondock, it's priceless. It's old, so finding parts is easy as there are tons of the vans in wrecking yards you can scavenge from! It's on a Dodge chassis, so pretty well any garage can work on the drivetrain.
Disadvantage: It's old.
About the only thing I'd point out is that the two passenger seats will probably be pretty useless if there's just the two of you, but you can easily remove them and make some storage areas.
ThunderAce is offline   Reply With Quote