Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2023, 04:49 PM   #1

Default 1996 Leisure Travel Purchase

Hi,

Please see link below. Can someone tell me if this is a good deal as I'm new to the Class B camper vans. This thing don't have any rust, is undercoated and everything is working. They were asking 35k (CAD) but have it reduced to 27k (CAD) for a quick sale. I was just looking for some information.

1996 Leisure Travel Van

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner
Wall23b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There are a million things to consider. For a start, have you thought about the layout? Do you need those 4 captains chairs? I had a '94 Dodge with the exact same layout.. it got the 4 of us around for a few years but I was glad to get rid of it. Dark inside, poor visibility (small windows), rode like it had stones for tires (like Fred Flintstone's car). That berth across the back is not wide enough for even an average height person to stretch out in - very uncomfortable place to sleep. IMHO, the Ford vans make better campers.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall23b View Post
Hi,

Please see link below. Can someone tell me if this is a good deal as I'm new to the Class B camper vans. This thing don't have any rust, is undercoated and everything is working. They were asking 35k (CAD) but have it reduced to 27k (CAD) for a quick sale. I was just looking for some information.

1996 Leisure Travel Van

Hmm. Seems somewhat high priced for a B over 25 years old. No generator? It looks in great shape coachwise tho. Question is what the mechanical needs are? What has been done? We have a 2000 RT 190popular we bought new.We love it and use it. 312,000 miles. We keep putting money into it as can’t afford a new one and we know what we’ve fixed and figure we’d just have to put unknown $ into a used one. We’ve replaced the engine at about 160k and put in 1 tranny at 145k and again last week at 310k. Hopefully can get another 5-7 years more.
If it was me ,when looking last year for a used with less miles ,I might have been interested in something like this at $18-20k because of clean shape but realizing I might need to put $8-10k into it the way we use it. What we saw at that time were 03-06’s around $27k-32k with less than a 100k miles. Actually worried they weren’t used enough and other had other issues. So just invested more $$ in what we had.
Good luck on your journey. It’s a great way to go. We’ve really enjoyed the almost 23 yrs in ours. BTW, this is our favorite bed, but the Pleasure Way looks shorter. I agree the 4 seats would be a problem for us because of lack of storage.
GeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:06 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall23b View Post
Hi,

1996 Leisure Travel Van

Tough call and impossible to say if this is a good/fair/bad deal without checking out the van personally. For that price range I think you could get a newer van. It pays to shop around, check out floor plans, read all you can and educate yourself as best you can as to how you will use it. RV's always require maintenance and repairs. I would not pay that kind of money for that van.
I Have a 2002 Dodge 3500 Roadtrek 190 P that I have owned for four years and put about 40,000 miles on. It now has 85,000 miles on it and I don't think I could get anywhere near the price as what you are looking at. I bought it before COVID so it was a great deal on a low mileage van. The floor plan we have works perfect for the two of us. All the best and have fun.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote